1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chambers returns to challenge old friends

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Chris Jenkins
    Thursday, November 26, 2009

SAN DIEGO – Whatever the problem, it was between him and the coaching staff, him and the front office. And the problem was big — big enough that the Chargers simply cut Chris Chambers loose. Just flat gave him his release, showed him the door.
    Presently, however, he's the problem of his former teammates.
    “I know they know some things that I do good and I know some things that they do good,” said Chambers, asked about facing a secondary he's practiced against on a daily basis. “The fact is that in practice, they kinda gamble, they kinda sit on routes more, not worried about getting beat too much. You get beat too much in practice, it doesn't hurt, and you go right back to the huddle.
    “You get beat in games, it's on ESPN. No (defensive back) wants to get beat downfield. I think they'll be a little more honest. I think they'll be a little more aggressive as well.”
    Even if he hadn't played parts of three years with the Chargers — starting with a midseason trade from Miami to San Diego that seemed to convert the 2007 Chargers from an underachieving team to an AFC Championship Game participant — Chambers would be given extra attention Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium. In the very short time since he was waived by the Chargers on Nov. 2 and quickly claimed by the Kansas City Chiefs, Chambers has not only become the effective receiver he wasn't earlier this season, but a certifiable force who's played a vital role in consecutive victories over Oakland (ho-hum) and Pittsburgh (whoa!).
    “I'm not surprised,” said Chargers head coach Norv Turner, “because as I said when we made the move, it was more about us than it was about Chris. I don't think anyone here ever questioned his abilities and what he's capable of doing. I think it was more what we were doing at the time.”
    Chambers' great numbers in three games with Kansas City — 10 catches for an average of 24.9 yards and two touchdowns — only further illustrate how odd it is that he's no longer with the Chargers. So much a part of San Diego's offense in '07 and '08 was Chambers, it was virtually inconceivable that he'd fall so far out of the picture with the Chargers, who got only nine receptions from Chambers in seven games.
    “I had three games where I had no catches,” said Chambers. “I probably had three games my whole career (previous) where I had no catches (actually six), and this year I had three. That speaks for itself. I know over the course of a game, on a lot of attempts, the ball was uncatchable. They go to the ‘balls-thrown-to’ stat, but they don't talk about the balls that were catchable or uncatchable, thrown over your head or this and that.”
    Less than a month into the regular season, Chambers was relegated to part-time status. He found himself sharing snaps with taller target Malcom Floyd, whose natural skills and development were cited by the team as a main reason for the sudden expendability of Chambers at the time of his release.
    “I wasn't able to play whole games,” said Chambers. “That was new for me. I was rotating in and out of the game, from Week Three on, getting 20-30 plays a game. It was kinda hard for me to catch a rhythm, hard for me to get going. Like I told Coach (Turner), I felt it should've been more of an encouraging thing, more of a ‘Let's-get-Chris-going’ kind of thing, let's put him in the game more and encourage him. He knows that once I get going, I can really make the plays and really help the team.”
    At the same time, Chambers apparently was dealing with personal issues of a marital and extramarital nature. The latter led to allegations of harassment that the Chargers felt crossed over to the workplace.
    “I've been trying to let this stuff die down,” said Chambers. “It continues to follow me, and it shouldn't be that way. People's private lives should be set aside. Let them handle what they need to handle. It should never be an issue at your job or a distraction from what you have to do. I don't even want to touch that.”
    Actually, the very appearance of Chambers' name on the waiver wire was a gift to the Chiefs. They're now without their leading receiver, Dwayne Bowe, serving a four-game suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs.
    You have to think, too, that Chambers brings some insight to the Chargers that wasn't available to Kansas City before the Chiefs were drubbed 37-7 on Oct. 25.
    “He's a good guy and a friend,” said Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer. “But when we get on the field, he'll be trying to beat us as bad as we're trying to beat him. Just because you know a guy, that doesn't change anything about the way you play.”
    Still, this could get weird.
    Said Chambers with a trace of a chuckle, “Extremely weird.”

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Nothing against Chamber's but I hope we can shut him down. He was scary good against the Stiller's.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Our guys know him as well as he knows us. With Cassell throwing to him - I'm not too concerned.

A healthy Polamalu would have changed the whole complexion of that game. :yes:

4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Our secondary is quite a bit better than the Steel City's without Polamalu, and arguably, is better with him, as well (assuming that Cromartie isn't sleepwalking out there).

We should be able to contain a passing game centered around Chambers and Cassel.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm glad they guy is playing well and I hope he gets his personal stuff taken care of.

but he can't beat us by himself

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chiefs’ Chambers out to prove Chargers made a mistake in letting him go

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Now that he’s found a safety net with the Chiefs, Chris Chambers isn’t quite as bewildered about his recent release from San Diego.
    Yet Chambers, a standout at wide receiver since joining the Chiefs early this month, said he is still troubled by the way his time with the Chargers ended. He said that will help motivate him Sunday when the Chiefs play the Chargers in San Diego.
    “I have a chip on my shoulder just from leaving there, to tell you the truth,” Chambers said. “I’m going to go out and play the best game I possibly can, and hopefully I’ll be able to make some plays. I’m sure it will have some emotion involved in it.”
    The Chargers haven’t suffered without Chambers. They won their three games since his Nov. 2 release and scored more than 30 points in each of the past two weeks.
    San Diego began rotating Chambers, 31, with a younger player, Malcom Floyd, who has given his team some big plays. Chambers had only nine catches for the Chargers in seven games.
    One of his last games for San Diego came against the Chiefs in October at Arrowhead Stadium. It was indicative of his season with the Chargers. He caught no passes but dropped two, including one in the end zone.
    Chambers said his problem with the Chargers rested not so much with their decision to play Floyd, but that they waited so long to release him.
    “They just wanted to play younger guys,” Chambers said. “It was written on the wall, it seemed like, from training camp on. It was just waiting to happen. I’m sorry it had to happen that way. I wish they had manned up and told me straight out they were going to do this instead of dragging me along like they did.
    “I had seen it coming. I’m an experienced player, and I can kind of see how they do it when they want to play other guys. But it never happened to me, so it was shocking. A lot of the players, LaDainian (Tomlinson), (Antonio) Gates and some of the other guys were definitely surprised.
    “I wasn’t playing as much as I would like. I was rotating in and out of games. It didn’t help me. I’m the type of player that (needs to play) the whole game. That’s my strength. I can figure defenses out that way and get involved. When you have to wait two, three quarters to do that, it really takes away from your game.”
    San Diego coach Norv Turner said the Chargers needed to get a better look at Floyd.
    “I never thought it was about (Chambers’) ability,” Turner said. “When you make the decision to split time with Malcom Floyd and Chris, it’s hard on a veteran guy to handle all that.
    “We’ve got some consistency there now. I don’t think what we were doing was fair to Chris or fair to Malcom, rotating those guys and trying to make it work.”
    The Chiefs are grateful for San Diego’s charity. They grabbed Chambers and wasted no time getting him in their lineup. Four days after his first practice with the Chiefs, Chambers scored two touchdowns in a game at Jacksonville.
    The Chiefs had 14 pass plays of 20 yards or longer in their seven games without Chambers and 12 in their three games with him. Chambers has five of them.
    His 61-yard catch and run in overtime of last week’s game against Pittsburgh set up Ryan Succop’s game-winning field goal.
    The Chargers haven’t been surprised that Chambers energized the Chiefs so quickly. He joined San Diego in an early season trade with Miami in 2007 and caught a touchdown pass in his first game with the Chargers.

“He was here three days and he caught a touchdown in the game,” San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers said. “So we were in the same position that Kansas City’s in now.
    “We certainly knew Chris had a lot left in the tank, and he’s given Kansas City a boost.”
    While he might understand San Diego’s desire to look at a younger player in Floyd, Chambers doesn’t believe over-30 receivers need to be tossed in the junk pile.
    “I came in with Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, T.J. Houshmandzadeh,” Chambers said. “Those guys aren’t slowing down either. It’s all about getting the opportunities. Those guys have been getting tons of opportunities to make plays, and now I’m back to getting the opportunities, too.
    “Look at my career. It’s pretty good so far, and I feel like I have a lot of good football left in me. I’m glad I’ve been able to show that with the Chiefs.”

7. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Sorry Chris, but the play of M80 and Legedu has not really have fans yearning for your return. You may believe that you did not have opportunities to make plays in SD, but this is directly related to your inability to make any with the chances you WERE given in 2009. :icon_evil:

8. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers vs. Chiefs: Five things to watch

By Jay Posner

Sunday, November 29, 2009

CHIEFS (3-7) AT CHARGERS (7-3)

Kickoff: 1:05 p.m. / Caliente line: Chargers by 13½ / Series: Chiefs lead 50-48-1.
    TV: Channel 8 (Dick Enberg, Dan Fouts) / Radio: 105.3 FM; 1360-AM; in Spanish on 107.3-FM
    Analysis by Jay Posner, Staff Writer

1. LT MAKING HISTORY: This should be a busy day for the folks running the JumboTron scoreboard, because LaDainian Tomlinson has a chance to move up several places on the NFL's all-time rushing list. Currently in 12th place with 12,218 yards, Tomlinson has a legitimate chance to finish the day eighth. Here's who stands ahead of LT and how many yards he needs today to pass them: Marcus Allen (26), Edgerrin James (29), Marshall Faulk (62), Jim Brown (95). Tomlinson is coming off his two best games of the year (96 and 73 yards), and the Chiefs rank 27th in rushing yards allowed this season, giving up 138.6 per game.

2. STAR CHAMBER: It's beyond obvious that Chris Chambers will be out to prove a point today to the Chargers, who released him less than four weeks ago. Quarterback Matt Cassel wasted no time in making Chambers his favorite target, especially after Dwayne Bowe was suspended. In just three games Chambers has 10 catches for 249 yards and two scores, and he certainly knows the weaknesses of the defensive backs he'll be facing today. Of course, they know his as well, so we'll see whether that's a wash. Even with the addition of Chambers, Cassel ranks 28th in average gain per attempt and 29th in completion percentage, and he was 10-for-25 in the first game against the Chargers.

3. RUNNING GAME: The Chiefs rank 26th in rushing, but most of that is due to Larry Johnson, who has been released. Kansas City has a bigger threat in Jamaal Charles, who had a 100-yard game two weeks ago and is averaging 4.9 yards per carry this season. (He's also an excellent receiver.) The Chargers have improved their run defense recently, but it's still far from impenetrable — witness Knowshon Moreno gaining 80 yards last week on just 10 carries and Brandon Jacobs getting 67 yards on 11 attempts three weeks back. If Kansas City can stay close, it might be able to test the Chargers in this area.

4. BIG PLAYS: It's hardly rocket science, but the quickest way for the Chargers to get upset today is to allow big plays to the Chiefs. When Kansas City hung tough with Baltimore earlier this year, it was due to a long interception return and a blocked punt. When the Chiefs knocked off the Steelers last week, they had a 97-yard kickoff return, a 94-yard interception return and a 61-yard pass completion. The Chargers need to force Kansas City to drive the ball long distances on numerous occasions.

5. LETTING DOWN: The Chargers have been quick out of the blocks during their five-game winning streak, beginning with Game 1 against these same Chiefs. That day San Diego led 14-0 after one quarter and 20-0 after two. The Chargers have scored first in every game since and have led 21-10, 14-6 and 13-0 at halftime in three of their other four games (the fifth was tied 7-7). A sure sign of whether the Chargers are taking today as seriously as they should could be their start, especially since Kansas City has been awful in the first half this season. Opponents have outscored the Chiefs 62-19 in the opening quarter and 118-59 in the opening half. Kansas City has been far more competitive after halftime, even outscoring opponents 77-76 in the fourth quarter.