1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger fans and those who are confused, this is the ruling on the last fumble

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by The MVPlaya, Sep 14, 2008.

1. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems like some people are confused, including the local news casters here in SoCal... they're pretty heated.

Jay Cutler did fumble the ball, and it SHOULD have been Chargers ball.

However, the play was called DEAD due to incompletion...therefore anything that happens after that point means NOTHING.

Since we have a review system now, the play was the reviewed.

After reviewing the play, the referee, Ed Hochuli, realized it was a fumble.

He CANNOT give Chargers possession of the ball, since anything that ahppens after a dead whistle means NOTHING and is IRRELEVANT.

The only thing he CAN do is put the ball back to where it touched the ground on the fumble, which he did.

And the rest is history!

I know this because we got f.ucked last year so many times, and there was a similar incident with Abdullah where he would have ran the ball back for a TD. I believe it was against the Bears but I could be wrong.

Great game of football...if you're a Broncos fan.

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Wow, thanks for explaining it for us. :unsure:

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He can review the call! That play is reviewable i.e. "tuck rule" but he couldn't since the replay machine was "malfunctioning."

4. swishbish33

swishbish33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Don't worry about it.

Karma has a way of finding its way back.

5. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Yeahhhh... I'm not confused about that.

I'm not confused about that at all.

The whistle should NOT have been blown. It wasn't blown on PR multiple times last year and the year before, and those were ruled fumbles.

And your review system not working is straight up shady.

Enjoy the win. You used up enough karma in this ****ing game to ensure you guys aren't going anywhere this year. Justice is coming.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED YOU ****!!!!!!!!!

WE GOT SCREWED!!!!!

Now get the **** out of here!!!

7. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the thread title explains why... a lot of people seem confused.

Investigation?

Ed Hochuli was behind Cutler on that play... it's a difficult view.

As far as the machines being broke, I don't know what to say. It's the first time I've ever witnessed it...and it was the beginning of the game.

Things happen ALL the time...

The point is, the two huge incidents were taken care of correctly.

8. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah.

They got it right ACCORDING TO THE RULE. They will have to look into changing that rule and see what if the whistle HAD NOT blown.

It's not right, but it was human error and there's nothing that can be done about it. There are still 14 games left, the Chargers are FAR from dead.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

NO ONE IS CONFUSED!!!!

GO FUK YOURSELF!!!

10. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you stupid?

How do you think he reviewed the Chambers catch if the machine was malfunctioning?

He DID review the call, he couldn't give Chargers possession of the ball back, that's ALL!

11. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0

Our review system? They're owned by the NFL and the NFL delivers those machines to each NFL game...they don't stay in the stadiums.

12. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Since the ball was fumbled prior to the play being blown dead, I thought the ball went to the team that demonstrated possession of the ball after the fact.
    Didn't that rule go into effect last year?

15 points on referee error, but we still played like crap. Let 'em score both halves during 2 minute drills, can't stop the run, and did anyone cover the middle of the field on short passes?

On edit, here is the rule I was thinking about:
    New NFL rules for 2006:
    • Down by contact calls may be reviewed by instant replay. Previously, a fumble was not reviewable if the ball carrier was ruled down by contact. If the ruling of down by contact is changed, the ball belongs to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery of the fumble.​

It looks like this is just for "down by contact" rules, and not all fumbles.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I think most people get all that, but it was bullshit. And after the bullshit theft in the first quarter due to the "malfunctioning" replay equipment, it was extra hard to swallow.

14. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    So, a "review" can't overturn an early whistle calling the play dead?

15. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly.

It's hard to change that rule...because you can't predict what will happen if the whistle hadn't been blown dead.

Everyone has been screwed by it...every single team in the NFL. Maybe not the Patriots.

16. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

They didn't score any points in the second half. Two bullshit ref calls lead to two touchdowns. Things would have been much different if the refs didn't have their heads up their ***.

17. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Chargers got beat on a BAD RULE and self-inflicted wounds defensively.

18. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it's easy to understand. I'm not here to rub it in the be honest. I probably am in an indirect way though...

I just wanted to clear some stuff up after what I've read and heard on TV.

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and you are a POS! A waste of skin!

20. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'M certainly not confused. I know what I saw, and the call was horseshit. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

21. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    That can go EITHER way.

That Champ Bailey call was 50/50 if you're looking from the sideline...there is nothing you can see.

Machine malfunctions are just super bad luck...

22. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I agree he made the right call, but that was after blowing it by blowing the whistle. If you don't have a complete view of the play, don't blow the whistle. Ed cost us the game (A long with our secondary).

23. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    No...how would it overturn a whistle being blown? How is that fair? How would you make that call?

Understand, this is not the first time this has happened.

24. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I get the semantics of the rule.

It's the fact that he blew the whistle in the first place that is the problem. Anyone with half a brain would know that the play should have been left to it's own conclusion. Normally, I would say that if it was that close let them play it out and decide it later, but it wasn"t that close.

Hochole was behind the play and didn't have a clear enough view to make the decision that he did. He blew the whistle which by league rules killed the play. The problem is the he should never had blown the whistle. What harm would there have been to complete the play only to come back and say that the play was an imcomplete pass? The answer is none.

On top of that, the two contrevorsial plays would have been non-issues if the refs got them right in the first place which they didn't. Either of those plays would have changed the outcome of them game.

25. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Being a long time fan... I'm sure you are too...

I don't think you can ever blame it on the refs...

Even in life.

If you're in that Chargers locker room right now, I don't think the tough ones are looking to blame the refs. There were more than 2 plays to the game.

If Chargers put up 50 points or gave up 10 points, it wouldn't have been a problem, correct?

26. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    TROLL! Go away!

Do you really think you are going to change any our minds? Does it make you feel better explaining the rule? I think we got a fairly good explanation.. Horseshit explanation but it was explained. The bottom line is in that situation, Ed should have let the play finish and then blow the whistle. That game was won by the Chargers, period and what happened was just plain highway robbery.

27. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    That was the point I wanted to make, but wasn't sure how to say it. Thank you.

28. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    The last play would have, not the first play... you don't know anything at the beginning of the game.

You're thinking one sided with the whistle being blown... refs are not taught to let **** happen if its under 2 mins since everything can be reviewed...they're trained to make the calls as they witness it...

Yes it was a bad call, IT HAPPENS... I'm sure this is not the first time Chargers have been ****ed over a bad call.

29. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    You are completely wrong. Officials ARE taught to let plays finish when under 2 minutes ..

30. The MVPlaya

The MVPlaya BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Me trolling? No.