1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger football is here!! (well, kinda)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS: Rookies get top billing in preseason opener
    [​IMG]

Rookie outside linebacker Melvin Ingram, the Chargers' first-round draft pick, will see his first NFL game action Thursday when the Green Bay Packers visit Qualcomm Stadium to open the preseason. JAMIE SCOTT LYTLE | jlytle@nctimes.com

SAN DIEGO ---- Football is back.
    And the nation will be watching Thursday as the Chargers face the Green Bay Packers in their preseason opener at Qualcomm Stadium on ESPN.
    Traditionally, starters only play about a quarter in the first preseason game. However, Chargers coach Norv Turner said that may not necessarily be the case Thursday.
    "I don't really put it down and say 'First team,'" Turner said after a light practice Wednesday. "Yes, we have a plan. But we're always going to be flexible with it. There's different guys in different points in their careers, so you might want one guy to play 10 plays who is a first teamer and you might want another guy who is also a first teamer to play 30 plays.
    "So we've got a plan for each guy, each position in terms of what they need in order to get themselves ready to play in the regular season."
    Ultimately, the play of the Chargers' prominent players is largely irrelevant. The focus of the preseason opener is always on the rookies and players vying for a roster spot.
    "To me, it's great to look at the young guys that are going to play in their first NFL game; their first game with the Chargers," Turner said. "They get a chance to play in front of a full stadium, on national TV, and for a young guy trying to make this football team it doesn't get much more exciting than that.
    "So I'm really looking forward to watching our young guys play."
    The game will mark the debut of Chargers first-round draft pick Melvin Ingram.
    The rookie outside linebacker spent considerable time working with the Chargers' first team Wednesday while starter Jarret Johnson watched from the sideline, still hampered by a hamstring injury he sustained Saturday.
    Although Turner wouldn't commit to Ingram starting against the Packers, the prospect certainly looks promising for the former South Carolina star.
    "We're going to talk about how we're going to function, in terms of who lines-up on that first snap," Turner said. "But I expect Melvin to play a lot."
    Simply playing in the game will be a dream come true for Ingram.
    "I'm very excited," he said. "I'm going to go out there and lay it on the line, and really just try and get better.
    "I feel like my whole game right now is a day-to-day process and whatever happens (Thursday night) my focus is always to just try to get better every single day."
    The nation will get its first look at the former first-team All-America choice in a Chargers uniform tonight, and according to Johnson -- a 10-year NFL veteran: "That kid is going to be special."
    Injury Updates
    WRs Eddie Royal, Roscoe Parrish and Richard Goodman, CB Marcus Gilchrist, OT Jared Gaither and OLB Jarret Johnson didn't participate in team drills Wednesday, and it seems unlikely that any of them will play in the preseason opener Thursday night.

Anxious to see all of the rooks play, but especially Ingram, Reyes, & Green. Maybe some reps for D'Andre Pressley?

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    PARIS: O'Connell gets his shot with Chargers
    [​IMG]

STF

Chargers backup quarterback Kevin O'Connell during practice on July 31. AP file photo

SAN DIEGO ---- It's the Chargers' exhibition opener, which means plenty of snaps for the third-string quarterback.
    And I can't wait.
    The Chargers host the Packers on Thursday night at Qualcomm Stadium, which means absolutely nothing and absolutely everything to one Kevin O'Connell.
    O'Connell, the former San Diego State and La Costa Canyon High standout, will be standing tall in the Chargers' pocket. On his third team in his fourth season, he's third string now but playing for a team that he grew up idolizing.
    "I don't know how long this is going to last,'' the 6-foot-5, 225-pound O'Connell said at the Chargers' training camp. "But I'm going to enjoy it.''
    O'Connell gets his chance because Philip Rivers' backup, Charlie Whitehurst, is out with a knee injury. Rivers isn't expected to play more than a series or two Thursday, giving way to rookie backup Jarrett Lee, the team's usual No. 3 quarterback.
    But Lee figures to be replaced by O'Connell in the game's latter stages, with O'Connell likely to play most of the fourth quarter.
    It's O'Connell's chance not only with the Chargers, but for other teams who might soon be in the quarterback market.

Could O'Connell beat out Whitehurst? Unlikely, but I'm interested to see what he's got. Same with Lee - unimpressed witth him at LSU but camp reports have been pretty positive.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Well, it's the preseason. And I can imagine that the stadium will also have a lot of GBay fans tonight. Funny how their fans are happy to show up for a game that doesn't count. Let's see how many of our fans show up tonight... Go Bolts!

Pointy (It's Preseason Game Day!)

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Ours are more worried about getting the blackouts lifted so they can sit at home watching them.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Maybe I'll get to view it on ESPN, that would be nice.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    2.5 hours until I'm off work and can head down to the Stadium - HURRY UP clock!! Ticking so slooooow ><

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Eastern Sports Priority Network?

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I thought they had changed their name to JETSTV?

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Or, Excessive Slobbering Peyton Nonsense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I can see the season getting ever so closer now

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    That's the only option I have right now.