1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger Free agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
    • Free Agents Pos. Status
    • Drayton Florence CB Unrestricted
    • Billy Volek QB Unrestricted
    • Michael Turner RB Unrestricted
    • Dave Rayner P/K Restricted
    • Scott Mruczkowski C Restricted
    • Marques Harris LB Restricted

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I hope we keep Mruc & Harris:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Re-sign:

1. Billy Volek

2. Mrckowskimrmrckouwski

3. Harris

• Like Like x 1
  4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I figure Harris will go to whoever offers him some decent money, since Tucker seems to have stolen his thunder. Either that or we keep him as a bargain. Murch might get a decent offer, one we ought to match.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    If Volek can find a team that is willing to let him compete for a starter spot, he will be gone. If not, the team will give him an offer and see what he wants.

From the reporting at the UT, the Chargers are extremely impressed with Whitehurst, and see him as the backup for the next few years, when he will either be traded or leave as a free agent to be a starter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    If he does end up somewhere starting in a few years, that'll be the 4th QB AJ has drafted or signed as UDFA to start in the NFL since 2002. Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Cleo Lemon, and now Charlie Whitehurst. I know that's counting chickens before they hatch, but it's still pretty impressive. Charlie was a 3rd rounder, now moving up our depth chart, and looks to be truly talented enough to be a solid NFL player. Now if we could just get that QB from USD in the draft, we'd have the ultimate QB corps for years to come.

By the way, with McCree replaced by Weddle and Lorenzo Neal replaced by Pinnock (or Naanee perhaps), only 3 starters out of 22 on our team were not drafted or signed as an UDFA during AJ's tenure - Goff, Hart, and Chambers! Plus Kaeding, Scifres, and Binn are career Chargers too. The closest team I can think of is maybe the Colts.

edit: crap, from what I can tell they only have Ryan Lilja (KC), Gary Brackett (Jax?) and Vinitieri that weren't o.g. Colts. Gotta give them props.

Oh and also Booger McFarland (TB) but I don't know if he's staying there or is even a starter still.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151

I like the sound of that.:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Guess I'm The Only One That Likes Drayton Florence...:icon_shrug:

10. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Why wouldn't we keep Harris? He is a restricted free agent. Give him a 2nd or 3rd round tender and if somebody wants him at least we will get compensation for him.

He is a decent back up and knows the system well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I'd rather see them go with just two QBs and save the roster spot and cap space for another position. If Whitehurst truly has that much potential, then let's plug him in and see what he can do. Rodgers looked great when Favre went down because he was the ONLY back-up and developed quicker in their system. It wasn't until Rodgers badly pulled his hammy and with Favre still hurt, Green Bay went out and got a third QB (Nall). I'd rather take a chance on two and then add a third if Charlie flops or they both get hurt. Either way Charlie needs to get those number #2 reps.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    yeah pretty much
    I really haven't liked him since the 06 playoff game, I'm grateful for the good things he did in his time here but still I'm just happy he and his mental mistakes are long gone.

Volek I wouldn't be surprised to look at Atlanta which will probably draft a QB and probably wants a placeholder for their new QB - enter Billy Volek. He could start for a year or so, make himself an even better resume and go from there. And lets face it we drafted Whitehurst to be our backup, spent a third rounder on him, so lets put him @ #2 and see what's up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Please hear me out about this.

Sign Billy Volek to a long term deal here in San Diego. Let me say about a 5 year deal. Use Volek as our back-up QB for this year and possibly next year. This is to have Whitehurst become our back-up QB thru learning from volek. Then trade Volek for either Draft pick/picks and or trade like the Clinton Portis and Champ Bailey trade and get a player that we need as one of our weak areas or depth areas as well.

I would as well sign Harris to a long term deal and this time not trade him at all. I just think he is too athletic to let go of. He makes plays when called upon.

Mruczcowski I would sign to maybe a three year contract to see what we can get out of the guy for those years. Use him primarily as a depth/back-up O-Lineman.

Bye Bye Florence and Rayner and as well Bye Bye McCree.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Well, what is it that you like about him?

What positive things does he bring?

• Like Like x 1
  15. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    My understanding is that Volek wants to be a starter somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well if the Chargers even offer him the 2nd round tender I doubt anyone will try signing Harris, if they do I'd happily take a 2nd for Harris, **** even a 3rd. It really depends on how much the Chargers want to keep him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    2008 RFA TENDER AMOUNTS
    RFA Tender Amounts:
    Level I (no compensation) - $927,000
    Level II (player's draft round) - $927,000 or a 10% increase of their previous year's salary
    Level III (2nd round compensation) - $1.417M
    Level IV (1st round comp) - $2.017M
    Level V (1st and 3rd round comp) - $2.562M

Harris was an UDFA, which means they would have to give him a Level III offer of 1.4Mil to get compensation. I don't see the chargers offering him that kinda of jack for a backup role.

18. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Just my opinion here. There is not many teams that would want Volek as a Starter. I can only think Atlanta, NY Jets and possibly Miami. That would maybe try Volek as a starter.

Why not try and give Harris a long term contract and see if he would sign it or not. If he would not want to sign the deal then let us get the 2nd Rounder for him.

Just my opinion.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Harris may sign to stay here, but I think there is zero chance someone is going to give up a 2nd rounder for Harris.

20. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I Thought that's what I was saying. We can choose to match the offer or not, in which case we get compensation. If we keep him for the third round tender, we keep him at a bargain rate. There is a numbers game at line backer and someone has to lose. When you have new comers with the apparent upsides of guys like Tucker, Waters and Siler, players like Harris and Polk wind up on the bubble. If someone wants Harris bad enough to give up a compensatory pick, I would take the pick. Also, Antwan Applewhite is in the PS and appears to be well regarded by the organization.

Post Script-I didn't realize a compensation eligible offer would be almost a mill and a half. I'd also would offer him a reasonable contract for two more years and cut him loose if he didn't choose to sign. Hard for me to say how much value Harris has on the open market. Harris would be fool not to take a reasonable offer, since the Chargers figure to get him a ring in the next two years, plus the playoff money.

21. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree that no team will give up a 2nd rounder for Harris. It is my wishful thinking on my part. I just hope that we can sign him to a long term deal so that we can have the insurance needed for the rest of our LBing corp.

In AJ I trust whole heartedly. :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    That we can all agree on. :tup:

I would love to see the guy re-sign, but if he can get a starters job somewhere then good for him.

I have seen a few post above talking about a 3rd for Harris. There is no 3rd round tender.

The best we could hope for is for him to get signed to a decent enough contract as a starter and get a comp 2009 pick for him in the 4th or 5th range.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    LOL how about the Browns or the Raiders? :icon_tease:

24. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Harris talent is in my opinion is more than a a 4th or 5th rounder. This is me being a homer and I thank that for the minimum value is a 3rd rounder for Harris. I just do not see the NFL just giving us a 4th or 5th round compensatory draft pick in 2009.

Here is my what if. If he does exceptionally well for another team to the point of possibly going to the Pro Bowl. I would hope that we would get at least a 2nd round Compensatory Draft pick for Harris for 2009.

I just like Harris as a Bolt too much for him to be seen in any thing other than a Chargers uniform. My homer again.

25. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    If either one of them would be stupid enough to give us a 2nd rounder for Harris then let Harris go and play for either the Turds or Browns. :yes: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I know that everyone loves Harris and the back flip thing, but I think that he is too small to be much more than a pass rusher in very specific situations. I cringe everytime he's in the game on a running play, because he can not fight off blocks well enough to make the plays needed. Tucker is bigger, and stronger, and is able to do those things that Harris can't. If we can keep Harris, I'm fine with it, but if AJ decides to let him go, I would be fine with that as well.

27. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    He's 6-1, 245-250. The only guy much heavier than him his Merriman. Every other LB is within + or - 7 lbs or so, and he is bigger than most. Tucker is maybe 10 lbs heavier at the most. I don't see us getting much in the way of comp for him than a 4th. We can get a 3rd if he starts for somebody maybe, but I don't see him being Pro Bowl or All Pro calibre that would get us something higher. The guy is good depth and if we can get him for a bit under a mill per year fine. Somebody else wants to pay him more, then he should grab it. There are teams out there in dire need of solid players and Harris is solid, but not spectacular. Baltimore, Atlanta, Miami, Washington, Houston and maybe even New England might be interested. NE is losing a bunch of guys to free agency who will be expensive to sign in view of the number of draft choices they have this time around-including the #5.

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    There are no 2nd round comp picks. A 3rd rounder is the highest comp pick you can get and that is at the end of the 3rd.

Donnie should net us a 3rd this year.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I doubt it. More likely a 4th.