1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger Friendly Sports Bars / Restaurants

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Savage Lizard, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Being new, forgive me if this thread has already been done...

I'm not a big fan of watching games at my house, I'd much rather be there, or when the team is on the road, go somewhere and watch the game with a bunch of other Charger fans.

We all know that Michael's is the place to go in Vegas to catch Charger games, but what if you are somewhere else looking for a great place to watch the game? It would be good to have first hand recommendations from other Charger fans, so please tell us about the place you frequent, or have gone before.

I'll start it off with my personal "home away from home" during the football season.

Sandy's Sports Restaurant in Big Bear Lake, California.
    www.sandysbigbear.com (web site created and maintained by the Lizard himself)

Charger games always get big screen love, and Big Bear Bolt Fans (our local non-official fan club) watches all away games there, and home games for those who can't make it down to The Q. We have hosted members of the Charger Girls each of the past five season, and they're tentatively scheduled to be up in December this year. The food's good, they have whatever adult beverages you would like, and the atmosphere is great. Families are welcome, and there's a room with video games to keep the kids occupied while you watch the game.

If you ever find yourself in Big Bear, and pop in to catch the game, my group sits at the front table or two, come over and introduce yourself. :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Most everyone here knows I go to Stats here in San Antone. Rexy took some pics of the inside, mebbe she'll be so kind as to post'em when she can!! :tup:

3. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Great place. Nice, big bar. Friendly people.:tup: Cold beer.:icon_toast:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Thanx Darlin!! :) :tup:

5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I'm usually at the home games, and since we have had descent seasons the past 2-3 years, all the away games have been on Los Angeles cable...But time and again, I want a New Castle (it's cheap at this place) and too watch the bolts with a room full of Bolt fans, I go to Stadium Pizza in Temecula. It is always full of Bolt Fans. The main TV is big but old and not HD, but some of the smaller TV's are HD and 3/4 of them are on the Bolt game...

Very family oriented and easy going...Pizza is OK, wings are good and thier Hot Pastrami Sandwich is freakin killer!

TBF

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Is there anything better than a good hot pastrami sandwich? Togo's has a nice one. Meat a couple inches thick and lots of mustard. Damn that sounds good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I usually go to Hooter's in Mission Valley for the road games, but now that there's a brand new Trophy's less than 2 miles from my home, that's probably where I'll be headed this season for the roadies. Home games I'll be @ the Q with the other degenerates from the board.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I just kick it in my casa, turn on the Direct TV, pop a top and I'm all good.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good stuff, y'all, but upon further review, the best deal for alla y'all in 'Dago is ta score a ducat to Mad Mike's digs!! :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

10. mdboltfan

mdboltfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone now any Chargers friendly bars in the MD region?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    the sad truth is that san diego teams (chargers and padres) don't have much fan base outside of san diego. I see a few charger fans in LA, but we will never have the fan base or following that teams from the east have.

I date a lady from boston (who lives in orange county) and she gets together at least once a week with other sox fans at a local sports bar to watch the red sox. These people are nutty loyal. It's amazing.... you don't see that with san diego fans. I've been to charger games all over the U.S. and, for some reason, the fans back on the east coast (and mid west) are always more intense. Even the Ravens crowd last year.... holy crap they got loud at the end of that game. Don't know why, but san diego is a pansy sports town.... sorry to say. I've mentioned this several times in various forums, but we can't even get our fans to wear the gosh darn powder blue shirts to a nationally televised game. Yet, the stands in KC or Cincy or any team back east will be one solid sea of the team color. We like to show up in cut offs and flip flops and "Corona" t-shirts. I hate to hear other team's fans rip the lame san diego fan base, but it's totally true.

I went on ebay to buy tickets for the game in NE in september and the prices are outrageous. But their fans will pay it just to see their team. Yet, if I want to sell charger tickets here for slightly over face, people all start whining.

We see it at padres games (when the red sox were in town) and at charger games..... opposing team fans follow their team. We have a slight handful of fans who follow the chargers out of town. And most here just wait for the game to be sold out so they can sit at home and watch.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but the reason why you can't find many places to watch charger games is because nobody outside of san diego gives a rats behind. And that's because most people in san diego don't give one, either. Witness the lack of interest in building a new stadium. Or, just look around on game day at the Q and see how many 'fans' are dressed in beach attire and can't manage to even wear team colors.

okay.... I'm done. Had to vent.

Get the DirecTV NFL ticket..... well worth the money. I have it although I am away for most of the season watching the bolts. Still, even for the five or six weeks I do watch it, it's worth the money. I'm assuming that most, if not all, of the games this year will be in HD.

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Great. I have a time share cabin up in Big Bear. Not sure when I'll be in Big Bear next, but I'll be sure to check out Sandy's.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Man there is a lot of truth to what you posted BUT our fans have had their moments. The Coryell Era was an ocean of Charger Power T-Shirts and the John Jefferson hanky's.....

I will never ever forget those days when San Diego went off the charts. We are starting to see it again. The passion such as what you described is limited but growing like a weed. Just look at the tailgater animals who show up to the trough. When we bring home the Lombardi, the town will go OFF. I witnessed it LIVE when we beat Pittsburgh in '94 in the AFC Championship and to watch the City and County of San Diego go nuts was incredible.

14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Some of what you say is true, but how much is perception as well?

Teams from everywhere else have followings in San Diego, because San Diego has a whole lot of people who moved here from somewhere else. Military people who were stationed here and stayed, or people who just moved out of their cold crappy city to San Diego.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    While there is some truth to what you say, there's also a lot of stereotypical BS that simply is not true. SD fans are not as rabid as some, particularly when their teams suck. But one thing SD knows how to do is support a winner. You can call them front-runner or bandwagon fans, but the truth is that every team gets more support when they are winning. The Sox might sell out all their games, even when they suck, but you don't see the insane ticket prices or mass hysteria unless the Sox are winning. Before their three rings and their new stadium, the Pats had less than stellar fan support. Even teams like Buffalo and their supposedly loyal/rabid fan base have a hard time selling out when they suck.

There are two reasons that not many Bolt fans reside outside SD as some other teams:
    1. Historically, the Bolts have not had success. Teams like the Cowboys and Packers have rabid fans outside their locales because of their storied histories. Many of those fans were bandwagon fans that stuck, because those teams were good year after year.

2. Less SD natives move to other cities. Face it, if you're born in SD, where are you going to move that's better? Buffalo? Houston? Kansas City? Clearly, more people relocate to SD than move from SD.

As for no Bolt fans outside of SD, I have to take exception to that. I've lived in the Bay Area for six years now. Every time I've been to a sports bar to watch a Bolts game, there has been at least 4-5 other Bolt fans there watching it. We may not be as coordinated as other transplant fans, starting fan clubs and taking over certain establishments. But up in the bay area, we have as many fans as any other non-local NFL team. Anyone that went to the SD game in SF will tell you that we took over that stadium. And alot of those fans were not from SD.

I think years of having mediocre teams leads to apathy. But when SD has a winner to support, the fans are extremely rabid. I've been to stadiums all over the country, and the idea that all of these other stadiums are so much louder than SD, well it's just not true.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    ALso, keep in mind alot of those East coast teams have much longer histories than any of the teams in SD. The Chargers are 47 years old, the Pads, 38. We are barely in our second generation of fans and we have no major titles (ALF titles for the Bolts are constantly overlooked). The Red Sox are f'n 99 years old and they have won multiple championships.

If we win a title, in either of the 2 major sports, I see the fan base changing.

17. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Excellent points. I do have to say that ever since I started putting a couple of mini-me jerseys on my kids and started walking around our neighborhood pre-game, I've had more than a handful of people stop to say they are bolt fans too. The funny thing is you wouldn't know it unless they told you, so there is some truth to people not displaying their colors as often as fans of other teams.
    As for teams like the Sox, Cowboys, yankees, etc, I guarantee you a large portion of them are bandwagon fans. I went down for the Padre game against the Sox and sat about 15 rows up from the Pads dugout. I had a couple of conversations with supposed Sox fans who couldn't even tell me who their closer was for the team. It just kills me when I see all of these fans out there screaming after the game telling me they are so great when they couldn't even point out MA on a map. Most probably think they play in CT.

Give me a break.

Go Bolts :icon_toast:

18. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    THe Pennant in South Mission Beach is always a fun spot to catch the game. So is the Beachcomber next door. As for Big Jason and tell him Richard sent ya. . .:icon_toast:

19. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Um just to be clear before Da Saux recently won the world series it had been since 1918.

Just trying to help.

Da Saux suk. :yes:

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So, that's multiple championships, right? :icon_shrug:

21. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Over how many generations? :lol:

Fuc anything to do with Boston. :yes:

22. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    who needs a bar when OTL is at Fiesta Island...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yes, but up until 3 years ago, the whole thing about being a Red Sox fans was what? 1918. For some, Red Sox baseball is their life. Here in CA, we've got other things to do than sit inside in the crappy weather and dream about Spring training and the Sox. Multiple generations of Red Sox fans were brought up with that mystique, Buckner, Curse of the Bambino, ect. Also, what are our stories? Leaf. Getting spanked in the only Super Bowl we've ever been to. Choking in the playoffs. Not exactly the stuff of legends, is it? We often wonder why other teams fans laugh at us, well that's why. Until we win a championship, we're nobody.

I'm proud to be a Charger fan. I have many fond memories of past performances, past players, past moments. But so does my brother, a Bills fan. But what are the Bills? A punchline for never winning the big one. Ask my brother, and he'll tell you how proud he is that they made it to 4 Super Bowls, back to back to back to back, I'm sure every true Bills fan will say the same. It's all they have to hang their hat on, much like us and LT's record, ect.

I respect any teams fans, the true ones, who stick by their team through the ****** years, even TRUE Raiderfan, not ghetto thug we're gonna be 11-5 this season Raiderfan. I hate the Red Sox fan that as soon as they won the WS, suddenly they're shoving RS down your throat, when before the recent WS win they rarely sported RS gear. Bandwagon jumpers are fine, as long as they don't start pretending that they were there all along. I cheered for the Red Sox when they won the WS a few years back, because I wanted to see them "reverse the curse". Little did I know that most of them would become insufferable bastards, like the Pats fans are now.

24. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I'd love to find a Charger friendly bar up here in the San Gabriel Valley if anyone knows of one.:icon_toast:

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nice post!! :yes: :icon_toast:

26. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    R. Cucamonga Area

Buffalo Wild Wings shows the charger game on the big screen. All the bartenders wear charger gear, and have had pretty good support as of late. All the rest of the games are on various smaller tvs

Pizza Factory is owned by a bolt fan and always has the game on the big screen.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    WHO'S THE HOTTIE:yes: :tup: :icon_toast: :icon_party:

28. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I know that Indigo Joes in Murrieta, off the 215, is a charger bar. I wonder if the new Buffalo Wild Wings in Murrieta is going to be charger friendly.

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I used to haunt Zeke's Sports Bar on 3rd and Brannan in San Francisco. It is about 2 block up 3rd Street from PacBell/SBC/ATT Park where the giants play. They have all the games, but it is more of a Green Bay bar aside from the Giants ans 9ers stuff as the 2 owners are from Wisconsin.

All in all a good old sports bar with good food and anything you want to drink.

Now I have DTV and NFLTicket since I moved about 30 mins south of SF.