1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger injury update

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Lot of players missing

By Kevin Acee

August 6, 2009, 4:44 p.m.
    Shawne Merriman and Jamal Williams are practicing, but plenty of Chargers are sitting this afternoon.

Inside linebacker Kevin Burnett was just carted off, probably with cramps.

Oft-injured receiver Buster Davis, who returned to action Wednesday night, is not working again. Presumably, it is his quad still giving him trouble.

Also, first-round pick Larry English (hamstring) is out a third straight practice.

Corey Clark is working at right guard, as both Kynan Forney and Louis Vasquez are out. Vasquez has a protective boot on his right foot. Forney's injury is not known.

Jacques Cesaire is working on the side.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    More Charger notes

Chargers coach Norv Turner deferred comment on RG Louis Vasquez's ankle boot. Turner said S Eric Weddle has a sore ankle from his collision with CB Quentin Jammer. Reserve RT Corey Clark filled in for Vasquez.

The Chargers signed CB Antonio Smith, a second-year player from Ohio State.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    bumps and bruises?

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Sounds like it.

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    A boot on an offensive lineman doesn't sound good at all. Foot injuries on guys that big can have a lingering effect. I'm hoping that it isn't serious.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Acee is a **** stirring piece of ****.

EOM.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    They better be ok...

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    if it persists past sunday then i'd be concerned

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Hopefully you're right. The team has a history of underplaying injuries the last few years though, so I'll take a hope and pray approach to the issue.

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Jammer, Weddle collide

By Kevin Acee
    August 6, 2009, 7:41 p.m.

I have never seen a practice come to a complete halt as it did when Eric Weddle accidentally speared Quentin Jammer today.

The entire team just stopped and stared as Weddle hobbled around and Jammer lay prone on the ground.
    Jammer got up after a few minutes but spent the final 20 minutes kneeling on the sideline.

Jammer was more angry than injured. He said he actually wanted to fight Weddle and had to take that time to calm down. They had a similar collision during the offseason coaching sessions.

Still angry but cooling down almost an hour later, Jammer said: "He plays hard. He’s my teammate. He’s one of my friends. I like Weddle."

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This camp is more intense than any camp for a few years. This will carry over into the season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    This does not bode well for Buster. This season for him imo is make or break. He just can't seem to shake that injury bug and if he even lasts HALF the season I'll be amazed. Some guys that get to the NFL level have the talent, they just can't healthy for some reason. We've seen a LOT of real talented players not make it in this league because of injuries. NFL = Not For Long is so true!

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Sounds like Buster (whom I like) is treading in a mine field. I had high hopes for the guy but they are slowly fading away.

Weds sounds like a solid player, he'll just rub some dirt on it and be back in action.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    ****, it better.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm all for intensity, but let's save a little for our opponents & not kill each other on the way.

16. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    to me, as a uninformed reader of this....it just sounds like they are being careful.

If people are practicing a day or two later, the injuries aren't really that serious, and they are keeping them out to avoid something serious.

The only one that has me worried is Vasquez, because a boot doesn't sound good. Although I'm sure he'll be fine, he's going to miss alot of reps. Pencil in Forney at Right Guard, at least for the start of the season.

Interesting that Corey Clark was playing RG, and not Mruck or Green. Perhaps this signals something about Mrucks future? (doubtful they give up on a draft pick this early, in Green's case)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Any update on Vasquez? Conc, was he in the boot yesterday?

18. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    OT: Great comment, SDC........it goes with your avatar!!!:icon_rofl:

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I wish Weddle would just spear Buster and end it already. :lol:

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Not necessary, he'll fall on his own spear. Most guys play through stuff he sits out with. I begin to suspect he will be an early cut.

21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Is anyone else starting to get concerned about Larry English missing so much time?

:icon_shrug:

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not yet, he is is great shape. I believe the Chargers are just being cautious with the rookies.

Remember in years past when the Chargers had to rely on their teams draft picks to make an intimidate impact on the field? Well now AJ Smith has the team into a position where the Chargers can bring the players on slowly, letting them sit for one or two season. This is something that is very special, a lot of teams do not have this luxury...:abq2:

I have deep man love for AJ...

23. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Forney, Merriman don't finish

By Kevin Acee
    August 10, 2009, 7:01 p.m.

Shawne Merriman ran off the field and then back on after having the wrap around his groin adjusted, but he did not participate in the final half of this afternoon's two-hour practice in pads.

Merriman attributed the tightness in his groin to his not being quite back in football shape after a season and offseason on the sideline.

Kynan Forney, back to work today after time off to witness the birth of his baby girl, got "jammed up wrong" on a play and stayed down on the ground for almost five minutes before getting up and having an ice pack applied to the back of his neck.

Larry English returned to practice after six practices sidelined by a tight hamstring. He looked fresh and fast. The coaches are piling the information on him and so far he is processing everything and performing well.

Louis Vasquez is out of his protective boot and was walking fine in sneakers. A sprained foot has kept him out the past six practices.

Vincent Jackson was catching bombs from Philip Rivers all day. That is not troubling for the defense. Jackson is now one of the elite receivers in the league. What is troubling is that the Chargers' tight ends find themselves open (wide open) a lot.

With Eric Weddle (ankle) still out, Paul Oliver worked with the first team. Not the best camp for Oliver.

Charly Martin made a nice catch along the sideline on a pass from Charlie Whitehurst. It appeared Martin was in-bounds, but the official working the sideline said he was out. Yelled Rivers afterward: "Challenge that."

Continue to consider Jamal Williams as healthy as he's been in at least three years. He worked both practices.

Stephen Cooper, who sprained his ankle Saturday, sat out. Tim Dobbins worked in his place. Probably not a good sign for Brandon Siler.

LaDainian Tomlinson made a spectacular catch on a bomb from Rivers. That's something the Chargers worked on last summer but didn't use last year after Tomlinson hurt his toe in the season opener.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good to hear that Vasquez is out of the boot. :tup:

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Man, I hope Buster's vagina heals soon.

26. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Buster's hymen seems to be holding up, per Acee yesterday:

Acee also had good news about Larry English:

27. jamie-laws

jamie-laws Guest

Ratings: