1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger Rapid Reports Week 1

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Some good nuggets as usual LEEGIT to start nice!! And Walters will get the start in place of Crayton.

Sept. 10, 2011 4:43 p.m. - by Joe Oberle - Chargers' defensive changes don't move Peterson
    Asked about how the Chargers have beefed up their defense with LB Takeo Spikes and others, RB Adrian Peterson was not concerned: "Not at all. Those guys put their pants on one leg at a time the same as me. It's all about executing, not leaving anything out there on the field." Vikings RapidReports

Sept. 10, 2011 4:19 p.m. - by Joe Oberle - RB Peterson expects Chargers to be prepared this time
    RB Adrian Peterson knows that the Chargers will remember his 296-yard performance and will be looking to shut him down on Sunday: "I am sure those guys will come back focused this year with some type of vengeance, so I am going to be ready to take care of my business." Vikings RapidReports

Sept. 10, 2011 3:49 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Legislation could help efforts for new Chargers stadium
    California lawmakers have passed legislation that could expedite construction of a possible new Chargers stadium indowntown San Diego, according to the San Diego Union Tribune. The bill encourages job growth by tightening deadlines for legal challenges to large public works projects. Sites and plans for projects, however, must be ready by Jan. 1, 2015. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 10, 2011 3:45 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Hardwick, Rivers, Spikes, Weddle named team captains
    QB Philip Rivers and C Nick Hardwick were named the offensive team captains for the 2011 season on Friday. ILB Takeo Spikes and FS Eric Weddle were named the defensive captains. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 5:45 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Gates ready for opener after cautious approach
    TE Antonio Gates, who suffered a torn right plantar fascia last season, missed practices early in camp in order to get healthy. Gates believes his cautious approach was effective and he is starting the season close to one hundred percent healthy. “It was all about knowing when to get the right rest and knowing when it was time to go to work to prepare,” Gates said. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 5:45 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Gates wonders who are real or fantasy football fans
    TE Antonio Gates appreciates what fantasy football has done for the NFL, but because of it he is skeptical about inquiries about his health. “(Fantasy football) is something that is good for this league,” Gates said. “I never know if they are true Antonio Gates fans or just fantasy fans because fantasy plays a big role. Are they genuinely concerned about my health?” Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 5:28 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Gates to wear gloves and special shoes against Vikings
    TE Antonio Gates has practiced this week wearing gloves and special shoes to help with lingering soreness in his right foot from the torn plantar fascia he suffered last season. Gates received approval from the league to wear both on Sunday. “I am leaning toward (wearing them),” Gates said. “I prefer to carry what I have prepared in over into the game.” Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 5:27 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Chargers Friday practice participation report
    WR Vincent Brown (hamstring), WR Patrick Crayton (ankle) and ILB Jonas Mouton (shoulder) did not practice on Friday and are listed as questionable. LB Andrew Gachkar participated in practice but he appeared on the injury report for the first time with a sore back. Gachkar is listed as probable. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 4:53 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Chargers make up for lost time caused by blackout
    The team was dismissed early on Thursday after San Diego was hit by an historic county-wide blackout. Coach Norv Turner said the team made up for lost time Friday morning. “Our guys are unbelievable,” Turner said. “They came in early and got the film looked at. Hopefully, getting out of here a little early (on Thursday) gave them a little rest both mentally and physically.” Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 12:29 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Chargers look to keep McNabb, Peterson in check
    Vikings QB Donovan McNabb and RB Adrian Peterson had monster days the last time they faced San Diego. McNabb (2009 for the Eagles) threw for 450 yards in a losing cause and Peterson (2007) set the NFL single-game rushing record with a 296-yard performance. “You are not going to stop guys like that,” Turner said. “You just hope to find a way to limit them.” Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 12:13 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - First-rounder Liuget to start over Cesaire at DT vs. Vikes
    First-round draft pick DE Corey Liuget will start at right DE against the Vikings over veteran Jacques Cesaire. Coach Norv Turner believes Liuget is up for the task. “You don’t have a choice,” Turner said. “If you are starting, you better be ready.” Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 11:56 a.m. - by Dan McLellan - Crayton to miss season opener, Walters likely to play slot
    Slot receiver Patrick Crayton is still recovering from surgery that removed bone spurs in his ankle and will miss Sunday’s season opener against the Vikings. WR Bryan Walters, who made the team with his outstanding play in the preseason, will likely play in the slot over WR Richard Goodman . Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 11:54 a.m. - by Dan McLellan - Crayton, Mouton miss Thursday's shortened practice
    WR Patrick Crayton (ankle) and ILB Jonas Mouton (shoulder) did not practice on Thursday, which was cut short anyway because of the massive power outage in Southern California. WR Vincent Brown (hamstring) was limited. Brown ran some routes and caught a few passes during team drills. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 09, 2011 11:53 a.m. - by Dan McLellan - Chargers' practice cut short by power outage
    Shortly after the Chargers finished practice on Thursday, San Diego suffered an historic county-wide power outage. Players were sent home early and missed workouts, injury rehab sessions and film study. Power was restored in the early morning hours on Friday. The team will report early on Friday to make up some of Thursday’s lost time. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 08, 2011 4:35 p.m. - by Joe Oberle - Peterson says Chargers must account for more than him
    The Vikings play the Chargers for the first time since RB Adrian Peterson's 296-yard rushing performance in 2007. "I'm sure their DC is getting those guys pumped up," said Peterson. But it's not all about me. There's 10 other guys on the field that they have to account for. If they focus on the running game, we'll beat 'em in different ways." Vikings RapidReports

Sept. 08, 2011 3:29 p.m. - by Joe Oberle - DC Pagac looks to mix up calls vs. Chargers' Rivers
    Asked about blitzing Chargers QB Philip Rivers, DC Fred Pagac said, "You have to be careful with him. He gets rid of the ball quickly. He has big targets to throw to. We are going to have to have a mixture in our defensive calls. Hopefully we’ll have a good disguise package and go from there." Vikings RapidReports

Sept. 08, 2011 2:56 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Imperative for Chargers to get off to good start
    Under coach Norv Turner (2007-2010) the Chargers have started 1-3 every year. Getting off to a fast start this season is a priority. Since 1978, when the NFL adopted the 16-game schedule and excluding the abbreviated season of 1982, teams that are victorious on Kickoff Weekend have gone to the playoffs 251 times, losers have reached postseason only 111 times. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 08, 2011 2:48 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Chargers to hold 9/11 remembrance ceremony Sunday
    As part of the national remembrance of the 10th anniversary of 9/11, the Chargers will pay tribute to local public safety personnel and to the nation’s first responders on the field prior to the game on Sunday. This will be followed by an elite Navy Seals team that will parachute into the stadium. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 07, 2011 9:39 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Rivers has been preparing for Vikings for awhile
    QB Philip Rivers admitted he has been preparing to play the Vikings for awhile. “I have been watching Minnesota tape for too long,” Rivers said. “You definitely have more time. I still treat the week the same, so you can get into that routine of preparing. A week ago, I found a game to watch, just to check them out.” Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 07, 2011 9:38 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - QB Rivers: 'Allen can be a game changer'
    QB Philip Rivers is aware of the impact of Vikings DE Jared Allen can have on a game. Allen spent the 2004-07 seasons playing with in the AFC West for the Chiefs. “(Allen) can be a game changer,” Rivers said. “Certainly (he is) a guy we need to be aware of and make sure we take care of.” Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 07, 2011 9:28 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Turner: Defense will have to fight through adversity
    Neither the Chargers first-string or second-string defense received many opportunities to play together in preseason. “That is a concern,” coach Norv Turner said. “We are going to have to work to become a unit that plays together on every down. There is going to be some adversity for our guys at times and we are just going to have to fight through it.”
    Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 07, 2011 9:21 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - Vikings Peterson will challenge Chargers defense
    Coach Norv Turner has repeatedly said he would like to see an improvement in the Chargers defense’s ability to get off the field in third-down situations. “It is something we spent a lot of time with this offseason,” Turner said. Vikings RB Adrian Peterson, who rushed for 296 yards against San Diego the last time the two teams met in 2007, will be an early test on Sunday. Vikings RapidReports

Sept. 07, 2011 8:53 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - OLB LaBoy sits atop depth chart, but may not start
    OLB Travis LaBoy is listed with the first-team ahead of OLB Larry English (knee) on the team’s depth chart. This doesn’t guarantee LaBoy will get the start over English against the Vikings on Sunday . Coach Norv Turner said he asked they both be listed as the number one. “The biggest thing is how Larry handles the week of practice,” Turner said. Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 07, 2011 8:45 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - DT Garay participates fully in practice
    DT Antonio Garay fully participated in practice on Wednesday. Garay missed the final preseason game with a sore knee. “I thought he had a good practice today,” coach Norv Turner said. “He has been our best player in the middle, so it is important to have him.” Chargers RapidReports

Sept. 07, 2011 8:39 p.m. - by Dan McLellan - ILB Spikes looking forward to playing on Sept. 11
    ILB Takeo Spikes said he is looking forward to playing on the 10-year anniversary of September 11.“It is going to be an emotional day,” Spikes said. “Not only for the guys on the football field, but for everybody who had something to do with this 10 years ago. I remember I was back in Cincinnati when this happened. We all have something to really think about.” Chargers RapidReports

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I hope the Chargers D gets fired up over how little AP thinks of them...