1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger rookies.... who stays? who goes?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jul 1, 2007.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    http://chargers.scout.com/2/655700.html

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Alots gonna depend on the health of waters. They may put him on the pup list I think they call it if he's not healthy enough to play this year. Siler is an interesting one as well. Got a feeling naanee and chandler are already penciled in to be on the team. And Davis and weddle definetly will be.

3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Pretty amazing as stacked as this team is that all of these guys have a pretty decent chance of sticking. That would really be a great draft if it happens and a testament to drafting for your needs by AJ.

I hope they don't have to pup Waters. I want to see him get over that ACL and hit some people.

4. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Hmmmmm....
    There was an article back shortly after the draft that debunked that view - Davis played through "nagging injuries" several times during his senior year. Durability on the other hand might be a question.

I would rate the likelyhood of that for 2007 about as high as whoever the Raiduh's starting QB ends up being initially going sackless with that swiss cheese O-line of theirs. It took the veterans on the Chargers a good part of a year to get the defensive system they run down pat, much less a rook who has to adjust to the NFL level of play as well. Dime back, some breather substitution time, maybe...

:icon_rofl::hilarious:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Odds of being released: Same as the odds of the Denver Broncos’ offensive line playing like real men

I gotta incorporate that into a podcast SOMEHOW!:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Naanee and Siler are the only two who aren't "locks" to make the roster, IMO.

Naanee could get caught in a numbers game on how many WR's, TE's and RB's we keep. Does SD keep 6 WR's (VJ, Parker, Floyd, Davis, Osgood, Camarillo), 3 TE's (Gates, Manu, Chandler - and the other day, Lombardo tried pimping Griffith as a "bubble" player) and 5 RB's (LT, Neal, Turner, Pinnock, Sproles) ??? If so, it's going to be hard to keep Naanee. The numbers game will catch up to the offensive skill positions.

The Chargers haven't been shy about letting draft choices go, especially late 2nd day picks. Siler lasted so long for a reason (and what that reason is, I really am not positive on) .... and a UDFA that works his *** off could unseat him.

It wouldn't shock, nor bother me, to see Naanee and Siler on the practice squad - not on the 53 man roster - for 2007.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    who goes if any, some, or all stay???

• Like Like x 1
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Injuries are inevitable and they are the flies in the ointment. That said, I suspect that all these guys will either be on the roster or the pup. With Naanee's size and speed and the make up of the Charger roster, I still would be interested to see if he could transition to safety. Guys that big and mobile usually aren't as fast as he is and he has really good hands. He's the kind of guy who would be able to man up on some of the better tight ends and no be overmatched. I also want to see how the Illustrated Man will fit into the offensive line. Robertson looks like Conan and he seems to have the same attitude.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It is just my gut feeling, and half a donzen of you are ready right now to respond and tell me I am a ball watcher and there for never know WTF I am talking about.

But given Naanee's versatility (played QB, WR, listed by the Chargers as a F-Back during minicamp, possibly slated as a TE), size 6' 2" 226lbs, speed. I believe the Chargers will find a spot on the team for him. most likely it will be on special teams.

I think that players like Osgood who was chastized for not 'hustling' during mini camp will be made expendable by younger players who have more versatility and upside. Naanee is very strong, and could excel as a blocking TE or WR in our system. That is why I think he will be on the roster come opening day.

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I disagree Conc. Naanee is a very good practice squad candidate. He is "raw" enough that other teams probably won't snap him up and put him on their active roster.

That way, Naanee still gets to practice with the team, and he can be called up later if his development warrants it.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Until we see them actually do something, we're all just speculating out our asses anyway.

Some drafted rookie(s) probably won't make the team, just based on the overall talent of the roster, and the Chargers history in the AJ era.

Naanee could very well have a great preseason, and make Osgood or Sproles or Pinnock the bubble guys who don't make the team. It wouldn't bother me a bit to see him claim a spot from one of those veterans.

However, SD will be dipping into its defensive depth to keep all of them. The 53 man roster will put a numbers crunch on a few of these guys.

One thing to consider is that the Chargers brass firmly believe they have a shot to win the SB this year, and IMO they most likely will retain players who can help more this season, even if it means releasing (or trying to hide on the PS) a rookie that might help more in future seasons. The "raw" and "potential" guys could get caught up in that mindset, and one player who seems to fits that to a tee is Naanee.

There's gonna be some good battles for the last few roster spots.

12. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    These two comments sum it up best for me. Barring any major unforseen injuries to starters, I think the numbers game will make it tougher than ever before to get some of these borderline guys on the roster. Depth is more important at certain positions as we all know, so that also plays a factor in terms of who stays and who goes.

Let camp begin!

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think all of them make it.

Davis- obvious reasons

Weddle- ''

Waters- HIGH POTENTIAL, injury shouldnt be a factor anymore according to him.

Chandler- Major goldzone threat, with LT, Floyd, Jackson, Gates, Manu, and Chandler we'll never not score inside the 20 again!

Naanee- I dont like the idea that Norv is getting with this guy. He may be trying to do a little to much by adding an Hback player.

Siler- Someone is getting cut so this guy can stay, he was projected to go in round 2-3.