1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Charger Roster Evaluation Draft Solution Board

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RMANCIL, Jan 8, 2008.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    N.F.L. GM'S have to evaluate their teams roster after each season in order to fit needs with draft talent. Whats is your take on the Bolts roster and just who do you think will be on the draft board to solve the need?

Lets start with the offense and QB's.

1# Philip Rivers got off to a rocky start however it looks like he is coming around. One thing for sure the Bolts will stand pat with him at this point they in fact have to be pretty pleased with his progress.

2# Billy Volek has not looked to hot and word is he is gone after the season so we will have a QB need on the roster.

3# Charlie Whitehurst has the best arm on the roster if we don't count David Binn. :lol: I think he is ready to step up into the number 2 role however pre season will tell us one way or the other. Now do the Bolts take a flyer in the draft or take a lost QB wandering mission Blvd?

• Like Like x 1
  2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +344
    yeah I agree Volek is done cant see us using a pick for another QB will get someone once again through FA.

Whitehurst will def be our #2 next year!

3. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I don't think the Bolts take any QB in the draft . That said if a real talent slips down the board Smith might take him if he liked him a lot just due to being able to develop him and trade him in a few years.

It looks like the Bolts will have a 1st round pick in 2008 along with a 5-6-7- and a comp pick for Edwards which could be a 3rd ( last selections of round.)

I think it would be possible if John Booty fell or some farm hand that the Bolts have unearthed the rest of us don't know about other wise I expect that Smith would try and sign a vet.

That brings us to RB.

We have the best RB in football in LT. Michael Turner will sign as a F.A. with another club and we have Darren Sproles in reserve. Tyronne Gross and Ray Perkins both looked good last TC and should be in the mix again but you have too think that if a RB that the Chargers covet should be on the draft board the Chargers would make the selection.

The real question is what round? If Smith were to take a RB in the first round what would LT's reaction be?

Why would the Bolts take a RB in the 1st round?

These are some good questions what do you think?

4. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344

well RB will be the pretty far down the list on draft day! Although there is a need with the loss of Turner. I really want SD to tag him however it will require about 8-9 million and then no one will trade and pay him that kind of money so we might get the shaft! We only have 4 picks and a possible 5th for Donnie! I think however FB might be on our a list late and I think that Owen Schmitt from WVU might be a steal if he falls to us late! Problem is Norv has said once Loneal retires he will go to a singleback set! :tdown:

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I don't either, but it would be kewl if they got Johnson from USD... he would add a totally different dimension to that position - ie., someone that can actually move....:lol:

6. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321

7. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I want RT,RG or NT But I got a "feeling" this is the draft AJ will drop down to pick up a 2nd and maybe a 1st next year.

There is NO WAY a draft guy like AJ is only going to have 1 pick in the first day. He'd be climbing the walls :lol:

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

damn, how did we end up with only one pick on day one

Fuggnig NE has two 1st rounders & that dik Moss!!!

:icon_huh:

9. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Funny I am falling off the Slayton band wagon a little bit. He has some type of injury as he isn't the same back he was last season. I think he falls in the draft.

The RB that would put a lot of pressure on Smith if one of them is still on the board would be Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois 5-11, 225, 4.55 who I think is going to be super along with Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas (6-1, 203, 4.35) and Felix Jones 6'0", 202, 4.45) Jon Stewart 5'11", 233, 4.5) I expect will be gone.

That is a boat load of good looking RB and even though we have LT I have to wonder would Smith take a RB in the 1st round?

He kept Turner and gave up a 1st to have him for insurance for just one year. Why would he not want one of these great RB as insurance for the next 5 years?

I understand the counter point that investing a 1st round pick on a player to sit is perhaps not the best investment and that back up RB can be found with lower round selections and I personally agree however at this time I am not the GM of the Chargers.

10. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I can't see AJ doing that especially with Olivea playing the way he has this year. Also Goff is a FA next year (I think). Unless Norv and AJ feels Clarey and Muz are the long term solutions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    FB Lorenzo Neal is a all- pro FB who still is perhaps the best blocking FB in the game he is also getting up in age and just broke a leg. Thank God he isn't a horse.

He has a pretty good back up who has played very well on special teams who while he isn't as strong of a blocker as Neal he is a runner and reciver and at this point more versital in Anderw Pinock.

Pinock in fact is in the roation at tailback as well.

The Chargers offense these days is using more shifts and have more H- Back type looks. Brandon Manumaleuna shifts from TE to H- back and Legedue Naanee shifts from WR to H -back . The Chargers also have Scott Chandler who looked great in preseason yet has been inactive the entire season.

When you look at this roster I don't see another FB slot open even if Neal should retire which I don't think he has any intention of doing.

12. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321

13. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think we should go, with a running back as Turner is more likely than not going to be moving on. I think a big bruising back; someone like the Giants' Jacobs would be the route to go.

I doubt LT would have anything to worry about as he will always be the number one back. The would give us a hammer when the chains need to be moved, or to help in blocking schemes; maybe useful also when Lo Neal hangs them up.

If not a back then maybe a NT or DL that could work into the rotation.With the talent AJ has at finding diamonds in the rough it could have a big pay off.

On the other hand, AJ pulled the trigger to get weddle and chambers and let go of picks, so there's a big chance the bolts will take the best player available with the first pick as the team has no blatant needs, other pickups will probably be via trade or free agency.

14. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    That brings us to the TE position. I don't see Gates as a TE at least not in the classic since. I do think that Gates is more of a receiver who can line up all over the field.

The TE position and the full back H-back position are pretty much tied together and just like the Full back we won't draft another TE as we are loaded.

Looking at WR again I think the Chargers are set. Looking at the stats for 2007 the Chargers just missed having 2 recivers break a 1000 yds which would have been a first since way back in the Fouts lead era.

Antonio Gates 75 rec 984 yds 13.12 avg 49 long 9 td

Chris Chambers 66 rec 970 yds 14.69 avg 44 long 4 td

Vincent Jackson 41 rec 623 yds 15.19 avg 45 l 3 td

Craig Davis 20 rec 188 yds 9.40 avg 18 l 1 td

With Eric Parker expected back next season and Kassim Osgood a fixture as a Pro Bowl ST player along with the fact that Naanee also can play wr it looks like Malcom Floyd will be released. With that line up it would seem that the chances of the Charger drafting a WR would be very remote.

That said if on the wildest of draft day senieros should Eddie Royal WR | (5'9", 181, 4.37) | VIRGINIA TECH or Mario Manningham WR | (6'0", 188, 4.45) | MICHIGAN slide down the draft board the Chargers would have to think about taking one to push Parker.

At least thats what I think what do you guys think?

15. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    If the Chargers do in fact pass on RB in the 1st round it is expected that they will take a RB lower in the draft. While it is very early to project lower round talent a couple who everyone may want to keep a eye on are.

Steve Slaton RB | (5'10", 196, 4.43) | WEST VIRGINIA I don't think he slides way down the board but his past season and his bowl game performance will cause him to fall. He isn't the power back that Turner is however if he can regain his form he at one time was one of the elite RB in college and while he has a smaller frame a low work load would enhance his durability and you have to think he would be a asset as a return man in case of injury to Darren Sproles.

Allen Patrick RB | (6'0", 195, 4.5) | OKLAHOMA played second fiddle to Adrian Peterson while at Oklahoma so he largely went unnoticed. He is however a good looking back who hits the hole fast and runs with good power.

Cory Boyd RB | (6'1", 200, 4.5) | SOUTH CAROLINA is a player who lacks the top gear other wise he would be going in the top two rounds. He also got into trouble in school however it seems that he has seen the light. One thing for sure he is a very good cut back runner who will be making a living in the N.F.L. next year.

Thomas Brown RB | (5'8", 195, 4.55) | GEORGIA suffered through a season marred with injuries and lost the spotlight to a freshman sensation at Georgia however his quickness into the hole and his cutback ability should land him a shot.

When all is said in done I think the 2008 draft will yield more RB who make a impact in the N.F.L. than any draft in a long , long time.

16. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    how's James Davis, Clemson sound, 3rd... or C.Johnson, 5-11 200 4.27, East Carolina or latter a larger M.Forte, 6-2 222 4.56, Tulane...

deep class - tons of juniors came out... Jones hasn't officially come out yet, he'd make more money next year if he stayed in and became the featured back... kinda surprised Davis came out...

17. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223

I wasn't sold on James Davis Clemson . He just did not do much in the games I saw . I have not seen Johnson of East Carolina play but I do understand he is very fast and Kiper is pushing him for the 1st round.

Johnson will be at the Senior Bowl so we will get to look at him against the blue bloods. Interesting one service also projects him as a wr.

18. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
  19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344
    Me either, actually CJ Spiller IMO is the better of the two backs! Davis is decent but I think Spiller is a shade better!

Johnson will not be in the top 32, this draft is balls deep with RB! I personally like Slaton if he does fall to us, just not in the first round!

20. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    OL is next up , I like McNeil at LOT and while his play slipped a bit this year he will be a fixture for the Bolts for years. The Chargers signed Chris Dielman to a huge contract and again we should see him perform in the blue in gold for a long , long time.

The oc is manned by pro bowler Nick Hardwick again he is young fast and smart. Nick continues to step his game up and along with Dielman give the Charger OL a bit of a nasty rowdy ball image that keeps them motivated and playing the game down in and down out with a attitude.

Mike Goff starts at ROG and has been underrated for several years by a lot of Charger fans. Mike does not possess the athletic ability you find in a pro bowl OG imop and he struggles in space but when running the " power O " his trap pulls are devastating.

Goff also has provided great leadership since coming over as a F.A. in 2004 that was missing on the OL. His commitment to hard work has set the tone for this OL that has made great strides since his signing.

His play has not gone unnoticed by all as SI named him First-team All-Pro in both 2005 and 2006. One other important bit of information is the fact that Goff is the only offensive lineman to start all 16 games each of the last four seasons, including playoff games.

Jeromey Clary ROT is a player who has won the starting ROT this season after Shane Olivea who was the starter hurt his back vs the Pats and struggled to return to form.

Olivea who has in the past struggled against speed pass rushers was a strong force in the run game. Clary who at 6-6 is two important inches taller than Olivea is a better pass blocker but has not been as strong in the run blocking game thus far.

Clary however is a player whose game seems to be on the upswing as you can see improvement literally game to game. His ascension to starter caught most fans by surprise .

Shane Olivea has played ROT since being drafted by the Chargers in 2004 and resigned to a contract extension before the start of the 2006 season is now listed on the Bolt roster at both OG and OT.

There has been some rumors that Olivea is unhappy with his demotion however those have not been confirmed.

Scott Mruczkowski drafted in 2005 in the 7th round has seen action at both OG due to in game injuries and rotation and is often used when the Bolts line up in big or Elephant formations. His game as shown improvement however he lacks explosion and is only adequate as a pass blocker.

Cory Withrow has seen action in 2006 as well as 2007 when Hardwick has been injured. He is a steady vet who while not outstanding in the run or pass game provides smart line calls which in turn keeps the QB standing.

The 2008 draft looks to be well stocked with tackles and guards. While players who excel at pass blocking and figure to start at LOT tend to go early the ROT and OG normally tend to slip down the draft boards.

It is very possible that the Chargers if they desired could take the 1st OG in the draft or one of the 1st ROT .

Jake Long OT 6'7" 309 MICHIGAN
    Ryan Clady OT 6'6" 317 BOISE STATE
    Jeffrey Otah OT 6'6" 339 PITTSBURGH
    Samuel Baker OT 6'5" 312 USC
    Michael Oher OT 6'5" 323 MISSISSIPPI
    Gosder Cherilus OT 6'6" 312 BOSTON COLLEGE
    Barry Richardson OT 6'6" 345 CLEMSON
    Alex Boone, Ohio State OT Ht: 6-8 Wt: 315 Ohio

Make up a strong draft board at OT. Long is a top 5 pick Clady and Otah should go in the top 17. Baker is way overated and I expect him to fall.

Oher has a learning disability and at this point that is a issue that testing will shake out. Cherilus is a player who has played LOT in a offense that has spent the year passing non stop could be on the draft board when the Bolts select demonstrated pretty good run blocking skills at ROT during the 2006 season.He also comes from a program that turns out some well coached OL.

Barry Richardson is a player who is a bit of a sleeper. He has real good foot work and is very agile and could be seen as a elite OG and as a great swing player. His work outs will push him up or down the draft board a lot especially the short shuttle along with his vertical jump. Alex Boone has size and decent feet but I was not impresses with his run blocking and I wonder about his upside.

Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma 6-8 350
    Eugene Monroe, Virginia
    Duke Robinson, Oklahoma 6-5 350
    Eric Young, Tennessee 6-4 305

Make up a group that maybe more OG than tackles however in all fairness I have not scouted Monroe. Loadholt is a giant 6-8 350 who moves real well but he struggles with speed rushers. He showed ability to work the second level and is very athletic for a man of his size.

Duke Robinson is a pure OG and the top rated pure OG in this draft.
    Named first-team All-American by the Associated Press, American Football Coaches Association and Sporting News, Robinson is OU's most decorated lineman since Jamaal Brown. Robinson was also honored by Sports Illustrated, Pro Football Weekly, ESPN, College Football News, Rivals.com and Scout.com.

He is listed at 6-5 350 but I think he will measure in at 6-3 and 320 still a very good size player who moves very well.

Eric Young, Tennessee 6-4 305 is a player who may slip to the 3rd or 4th round of this draft who could be a real steal. He moves pretty well and demonstrates good raw power but like many OL from Tenn needs polish ( see McNeil ) which could make him a real gem.

The Chargers kept Roman Oben on the roster up until the playoffs and one has to wonder if Roman will be coming back. Oben will be 36 next year worked very hard to come back from a terrible foot injury and has been a security blanket for the Bolts the past two seasons.

Will Oben be asked back ? Will the Bolts look to add depth with their 1st round OL selection since James Fitzpatrick ?

21. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    You covered the offense, very well....but I know AJ wants to build a championship D....so he will always have an eye out for how to make our D better. Safety (McCree may be let go at his salary next year) and DLine....though the Bingham deal surprised me, so maybe they are happier than they let on about Dline.

A replacement for Jamal, no matter the McKinney lovers is a likely place the Bolts go......but one may not be available late in the first. Unless William Moore declares the 1st round safety talent (Philips) won't last til late in the first.

So, if they go D in the first maybe a corner they would convert to safety.....Aqib Talib comes to mind is an option. Flowers and his off the field antics scare me......I dunno what kind of Cool Aid they drink at Va Tech, but it ain't "straight and narrow." I like the Talib idea, mainly because if Oliver shows he can step into a CB role, maybe the long awaited move of Jammer to safety could happen by 2010 if they take Talib......or maybe Talib becomes a safety. His ball skills would quickly rank second on the team behind Cro.

I think Oline is the likliest pick with our first rounder (becuase of the talent that will still be available late int he 20's hopefully 31!!!). Sounds like Duke might be agreat fit at Guard. If they take a tackle it will say alot about what they think of Clary long term.

Awesome thread, I look forward to other ideas that pop up, I remember a couple of years ago when Cromartie started coming up right before the draft.....look at how that turned out!!!

22. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    it is a shame we don't have 2 3 4 because this draft is shaping up to be the best in a hell of a long time. everyone is declaring and there is just a shitload of talent.

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398

He hurt his hammy in the bowl game and didnt return. However....there isnt anything wrong with him except that Pat White ran the ball much more than he ever did the two previous years and that took carries away from Slaton ( no Y).

I really like Steve Slaton but he is only 190 lbs. I do think he will be one of the best RB's if he declares. He catches the bal well out of the backfield and he is fast. Dont think he will be a carry the load type n the NFL tho.

We will not draft a RB in the first round tho. No Way! Id love to have Slaton but i dont see anyway that AJ uses our first on a RB. Slaton will fall some but if he runs as good as i think he will at the combine....well, you know how that goes. Look what happened to Chris Henry.

Id also like to have Felix Jones or Jamal Charles but man, i just cant see us picking a RB in the first.

Get Beef!!!!

I dont know why i keep seeing FB Owen Daniels name brought up in our forums. Dude had one good run in a bowl game and suddenly we should pick him and someone even suggested we should use our first on him. C-mon people...Pinnock is signed to an extension and he isnt going anywhere. He is however just horrible as a HB and they should stop that crap right now. He is in no way any use to us as a HB.

I would like to se us draft one of the OT's in the first round. Clary has been better than Olivea but i never liked Olivea so it doesnt mean much. Clary or Olivea can play OG when we draft our stud for RT. Good OT class this year so we can land a good one and if we do....our OL will be looking good for a long while to go up against DL's like Tennesee's.

BTW.....we will NOT get a 3rd round comp pick for Donnie. Just isnt going to happen. 4th at best i say. His contract wasnt that great for us to get a 3rd.

As for a QB. Im not big on Whitehurst. Big arm, horrible dicisions and not accurate. Hope he improves a ton next year because as a backup....i dont have much confidense in him.

Id like us to get a vet safety. Class isnt that strong and we will be picking around the end of round 4 for our 2nd selection so a vet is where i hope we go. Or, i wouldnt mind seeing Steve Gregory get a shot at safety. We have Oliver and Gordon for CB so we can give Gregory a shot i think.

24. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The jungle drums indicate that the Chargers will look at Oliver at safety. His speed slash quickness just may not be good enough to play CB at this level.

I never thought he would after seeing his work out numbers and from what I understand the Chargers are now leaning with me.

25. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    True, but imo we got a steal with Oliver who otherwise would have ben a first. Love the Chambers pickup so even tthough he cost us a 2nd.....he was a great pickup and we wont get that production from a 2nd rounder.

Id like to have the picks now too, but for what we got,.........im ok with it. Oliver is going to be a good one and prove to be a huge steal.

26. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +398
    Until i see it with my own eyes, i aint buying this one. However, the kid is going to be good so if it gets him on the field...which could be what they are doing, then fine.

27. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +344
    I disagree here I love Slaton as you do, however I think he can carry the load just wont early on in his career! Just my opinion!

Charles is coming out and I personally think he needs another year. Not real high on him! Felix Jones if he comes out will be well gone by the 27 th pick!

Well you must be talking about Owen Schmitt from WVU. Don't to sound like a dick but we wouldnt be getting Owen Schmitt cause of some run in a bowl game! Owen Schmitt is a stud FB who just crushes people. I definetly think if he is there in the 4th we should take a look at him. Problem is Norval wants to go to a singleback set!

I dont know who said we would get a 3rd but not happening! I think that maybe it was for Turner if we tagged him. Problem I see is that we will not tag Turner cause no one will pay the 8-9 million to keep him plus a draft pick!

28. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    with jamalls knees really starting to bother him I really think this is the year to try and grab another very good d-tackle. Best I've read about so far is the texas d-tackle frank okam.

Jamall looks like he doesn't have alot of years left. Maybe 1 or 2 cause of his knees. And needless to say his position is very important. Then try and find a good o-lineman with all the other picks. Hopefully one will be good enough to improve the o-line.