1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger Roster Evaluation Draft Solution Board

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RMANCIL, Jan 8, 2008.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Senior Bowl: Unpolished offensive linemen need time to develop

One of the best ROT in the draft
    http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=3FF7C0CB11531D8D2EBE2C6793E31198?videoId=09000d5d80627724

Cherilus is one of the best run blocking OL in this draft and should he be the choice the Charger offensive line would have to be considered one of the best if not the best in football.

Senior Bowl: Linebackers are dominating the practices
    By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com

Xavier Adibi's winning attitude has made an impression on GMs visiting Senior Bowl practice sessions.

MOBILE, Ala. -- Practices at the Under Armour Senior Bowl have been crisp and upbeat. The Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers coaching staffs have blended a lot of quality contact and instructional periods in the schedule to ensure the NFL coaches and personnel people get a real good look at the talent here.

After three days of practice, it looks like the linebackers are the premier group of any position. The North squad might have three first-round linebackers working out, while the South has another first-round candidate. Dan Connor (Penn State), Keith Rivers (USC), Xavier Adibi (Virginia Tech) and Ali Highsmith (LSU) have dominated the week and have all the skills required to line up on Sundays as early as next September.

Let's take a look at the top four showing off their talents for the NFL, along with a guy who impressed me at practice and might be moving up draft boards.

1. DAN CONNOR, 6-3, 230, Penn State
    From the first practice, Connor jumped out as a tremendous middle linebacker with range, the ability to key and diagnose, with all the instincts required to be a great player. When a guy posts 410 tackles in a college career, sometimes you wonder if maybe his stats were padded, that maybe he was getting credit for every time he got to a pile. But that's not the case with Connor. He lines up the defense and meets all of the running backs at the line of scrimmage. It's great to see his pass drops, which he performs with smoothness and an eye on the route progressions. On one play he's holding off the deep middle, and on the next he's colliding a slant route. When the linebackers this week went to their blitz period against the running backs, he made an even bigger impression when he made three different backs simply miss him when he rushed. On two other occasions he won with a bull rush and came back with a spin move to get to the QB. "Connor could play in any scheme, 4-3 or 3-4, and excel as a rookie," said one GM. "He reminds me of Lofa Tatupu of the Seattle Seahawks, except bigger."

2. KEITH RIVERS, 6-3, 237, USC
    Rivers is a very impressive physical specimen. He weighed in around the 235-pound range, but when you watch him practice you would swear he's closer to 250. Rivers can thump a guard who comes out to block him; he sees the scheme in front of him right away and always seems to be waiting for the back before he gets to the point of attack. What is impressive is he always leads with his hands. He has long arms and great upper body strength to explode into blockers and disengage. Rivers has smooth hips, easily opens up in his drops and has a knack for knocking down balls. Rivers runs 4.6 in the 40 but plays even faster. One GM who has a 3-4 defense feels he's the best prospect for his team even though Rivers was in a 4-3 package at USC. Rivers also possesses pass-rush skills, as his physical style makes him capable of a few sacks a year. If a 4-3 team takes Rivers, it will be able to try him at the Mike (middle), Sam (strongside) or Will (weakside) positions.

3. XAVIER ADIBI, 6-2, 219, Virginia Tech
    Adibi was the first player on the field for every practice and usually beat the coaches out to the drill area. It's always great to see how much a guy loves football and has a professional attitude. Adibi demonstrated that all week, even before practice started. As the drills got under way, Adibi showed the same lightning-quick playing style Connor and Rivers demonstrated. He has edge-rush skills, he can disengage from blockers to make tackles, and he has some coverage skills. He will need to work on the nuisances of the pass drops in all the zone concepts, but it isn't a negative. What impressed me most about the Virginia Tech linebacker when I spent some time with him was his ability to deal with a bad situation and self-correct. During the Wednesday morning 9-on-7 drill that pits the defense against the offensive running game, he got tagged by USC offensive tackle Sam Baker, who got under Adibi's pads and put him on his back. But Adibi recovered from the embarrassing shot and made a great play in the next situation. When I asked him about the Baker play, he was comfortable talking about it and basically moved on to the next play in his mind. That's the type of mental toughness all coaches are looking for in the NFL. Adibi is being scouted by all 32 teams and has a position in the 3-4 as an OLB or in the 4-3 as a Sam or Will.

4. ALI HIGHSMITH, 6-0, 221, LSU
    Highsmith is a 4-3 weakside linebacker and is drawing little interest from 3-4 teams. But the 4-3 teams see a young Derrick Brooks. This guy can go sideline to sideline and he's athletic enough to go out on a slot receiver and play him in man coverage. After watching him practice, all I can say is he makes it look easy. "He might be good enough to play some safety," said one defensive coordinator. His point wasn't that he would move Highsmith to safety, but rather that he was talented enough in space to do it. On his pass-rush skills, it's all about speed, and he demonstrated a nice spin move. He could be a real intriguing player for the Tampa 2 scheme.

5. BEN MOFFITT, 6-2, 241, South Florida
    Moffitt jumps out at you when the contact begins. He likes to strike, plays hard all the time, and he has a nose for the ball. Moffitt will be a terror on special teams right away and will be able to back up at a few linebacker spots as a rookie. I was also impressed with his pass rush skills; he has a good dip-and-rip move to beat a blocker. He told me he did a lot of blitzing at South Florida, and that sets up well for fire-zone teams like Philadelphia and the New York Giants.

Coming Friday: Offensive line prospects

Players to watch at Senior Bowl
    Kirwan: Breaking down the QBs
    NFL streamlines draft process
    2008 NFL Draft order tentatively in place
    Michigan's Long leads strong class of OTs

© 2007 NFL Enterprises LLC. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National Football League.The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National Football League. NFL footage © NFL Productions LLC.

2. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Looks like the QB slide is getting started with Andre Woodson Jr. taking the big hit when under closer scrutiny the holes in his game are showing up. This QB class is weak in my opinion.

The draft may find a couple going in the opening round however from my point of view this drafts best QB is Josh Johnson of SAN DIEGO. He will go in the second round or later due to him playing lesser competition but make no mistake his skill package and QB training under coach Jim Harbaugh will show up with his new pro team.

Darren McFadden is the best player in this draft and should go 1st based on that. Miami wants to trade down and net some picks but I think they will find that to be very diffucult.

It is possable that the drafts best player could fall down the board as low as the 6th pick. This draft is shallow up front as the real super talent just isn't there. I see Mcfadden , Glenn Dorsey , Sedrick Ellis as the real blue chip players then a scramble.

Potential Bust include

QB Matt Ryan
    QB Brian Brohm
    OT Sam Baker
    WR Limas Sweed

Players who could be of great value

Rashard Mendenhall RB
    Dan Connor ILB
    Josh Johnson QB
    Joe Flacco QB
    John David Booty QB
    Jamaal Charles RB
    Allen Patrick RB
    Cory Boyd RB
    Steve Slaton RB
    Jordy Nelson WR
    Lavelle Hawkins WR
    Jerome Simpson WR
    Andre Caldwell WR

As you see this is a good draft based on depth a lot of low 1st , 2 , 3, 4 round players who should make rosters and contribute.

The CB are well worth watching as the Chargers may go in this direction early and the CB ratings are in a bit of a flux.

Mike Jenkins CB 6'0" 200 SOUTH FLORIDA
    Aqib Talib CB 6'1" 201 KANSAS
    Leodis McKelvin CB 5'10" 186 TROY UNIVERSITY
    Brandon Flowers CB 5'1" 192 VIRGINIA TECH
    Antoine Cason CB 6'0" 190 ARIZONA
    Patrick Lee CB 5'11" 197 AUBURN
    Tracy Porter CB 5'10" 181 INDIANA
    Jack Ikegwuonu CB 6'2" 204 WISCONSIN
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB 6'1" 181 TENNESSEE STATE

Are the main cast of CB in the hunt right now Leodis McKelvin and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie are making the most noise and are moving up the boards.

This drafts top two OL coming out of the Senior Bowl practices that should /could be on the board when the Bolts select are Gosder Cherilus OT 6'6" 312 BOSTON COLLEGE and Chris Williams OT 6'6" 315 VANDERBILT also making a strong move upward is Heath Benedict OT 6'5" 332 NEWBERRY .

The RB class is deep this year and the Chargers look like they have a need with the pending depature of Mike Turner.

Darren McFadden RB 6'2" 212 ARKANSAS 99
    Rashard Mendenhall RB 5'11" 225 ILLINOIS
    Jonathan Stewart RB 5'11" 233 OREGON
    Felix Jones RB 6'0" 205 ARKANSAS
    Jamaal Charles RB 6'1" 205 TEXAS

Low round bets

Steve Slaton RB 5'10" 196 WEST VIRGINIA
    Matthew Forte RB 6'1" 219 TULANE
    Tashard Choice RB 5'11" 207 GEORGIA TECH
    Cory Boyd RB 6'1" 200 SOUTH CAROLINA
    Allen Patrick RB 6'0" 195 OKLAHOMA
    Thomas Brown RB 5'8" 195 GEORGIA

RB Spotlight on

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3182931&categoryId=2564308

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/721313,CST-SPT-ill01.article

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont see a listing for which channel or the time of the Senior bowl. Anybody know what time it is at and what channel?

Isnt listed here in Vegas anyways.

I have direct tv

4. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    its on right now on NFL Network, and Cromartie has already knocked a pass down,made a big hit and picked off a deep pass LOL, this kid has skills

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Like his cuz. :yes:

Room to grow, head for the game, is there a nepotism clause? If he's around when we've got a pick, boo-yah!!

Still looking at beef first, IMO.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    From the few practices I saw this week, he was the best interior lineman on either squad. But, I agree with the assessment that he wasn't very good this past season.

That BC offensive tackle looked okay in the drills, but the Nebraska kid was better in both the drills and the game from what I saw. BC guy whiffed on more than a few running blocks (wasn't that supposed to be his specialty?) ... Those were the two best OT's, and neither looked like a first or second round pick in the game.

The interior OL for both squads look average to below average. I want to see the overhead coaches tape from the practices that they'll show over the coming months, because right now I'm not impressed with getting OL help in this draft.

Everyone and their brother is ranting about the Cromartie kid, and for good reason. Fast, with ball skills. He does need to hit the weight room and get stronger. Good NFL WR's will eat him up at the LOS in press coverage. His Combine/Pro Day numbers need to be good, but if the speed is sub 4.4, then watch out for how high his stock goes. I don't know if he'll be worth a high #1, but someone might take him ...... Saints fans are drooling to have their team spend the #10 pick in round one on the young Cromartie.

7. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    BC has a good rep for producing quality OL.

McNeill wasnt really hot on my list as was he on yours and imo he looked awful in his first preseason game as a rookie but we know what happened after that.

Im not concerned about what Cherilus did in this game. I hope he does fall because of it and he falls in our lap. Our OL coach will tune him up just fine.

Since i have my sights on a OT, i dont care where Rodgers-Cromartie goes. Kid is way to skinny right now.

8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Senior Bowl Practice Risers and Fallers

Of interest: Leodis McKelvin CB Troy Was on the radar as a third-round pick coming into the year because of his return skills and potential as a corner. But his improvement on defense during the season and through this week's practices gave him a chance to secure a late first or early second-round grade.

Under Armour Senior Bowl: Top Performers

Dan Connor News reports Clearly a big winner ,great game.

Draft nick fans takes : Saints Football Future 49 ERS CBS

Mike Maylock

Mayock's top 5 DTs:
    Rank Player College
    1. Glenn Dorsey LSU
    2. Sedrick Ellis USC
    3. Kentwan Balmer North Carolina
    4. Letroy Guion Florida State
    5. Marcus Harrison Arkansas

Mayock's top 5 OLBs:
    Rank Player College
    1. Dan Connor Penn State
    2. Keith Rivers USC
    3. Erin Henderson Maryland
    4. Ali Highsmith LSU
    5. Geno Hayes Florida State

Mayock's top 5 CBs:
    Rank Player College
    1. Leodis McKelvin Troy
    2. Mike Jenkins South Florida
    3. Patrick Lee Auburn
    4. Jack Ikegwuono South Florida
    5. Aqib Talib Kansas

Mayock's top 5 Safeties:
    Rank Player College
    1. DaJuan Morgan N.C. State
    2. Kenny Phillips Miami (Fla.)
    3. Thomas DeCoud Auburn
    4. Marcus Griffin Texas
    5. Tyrell Johnson Arkansas State

Mayock's top 5 interior OL:
    Rank Player College
    1. Brandon Albert Arkansas
    2. Roy Schuening Oregon State
    3. Steve Justice Wake Forest
    4. Mike Pollak Arizona State
    5. Chilo Rachal USC

Mayock's top 5 OTs:
    Rank Player College
    1. Jake Long Michigan
    2. Ryan Clady Boise State
    3. Jeff Otah Pittsburgh
    4. Gosder Cherilus Boston College
    5. Chris Williams Vanderbilt

Mayock's top 5 RBs:
    Rank Player College
    1. Darren McFadden Arkansas
    2. Jonathan Stewart Oregon
    3. Rashard Mendenhall Illinois
    4. Felix Jones Arkansas
    5. Jamaal Charles Texas

Kipers mock

A few notes from my first first-round projection for April's NFL draft:

• The Miami Dolphins need help on defense and Bill Parcells is a defensive-minded coach, so DT Glenn Dorsey would be the logical pick. And while the Dolphins could listen to trade offers for the top pick, there has not been a lot of movement in the top 10 in recent drafts. Why did Adrian Peterson slip to No. 7 last year? Because teams weren't willing to trade up knowing they would have to part with draft picks and pay more money for the higher pick. Also for Miami, QB Matt Ryan has to be in the discussion because the Dolphins may not be sold on John Beck (a second-round pick last year). Miami needs quarterback help and Ryan is going to be a top-five pick. Ryan might be too good to pass up, and he's a better prospect than Beck was when he came out of BYU last year. (Ryan is the only QB I am projecting will go in the first round).

• St. Louis will likely go with Long -- either Chris or Jake. Although the Rams drafted defensive tackle Adam Carriker last year, I could see them taking Virginia defensive end Chris Long. He's similar to Dorsey in that he plays with tremendous intensity and makes everyone around him better. If the Rams don't go with Chris Long, then Michigan left tackle Jake Long should be the pick since they could use help on the offensive line.

• The Atlanta Falcons should be in a good spot to upgrade at either running back or quarterback, so Darren McFadden or Matt Ryan could be the choice. I like Ryan here because this is a franchise that is in desperate need of a quarterback after going from Michael Vick to Joey Harrington to Byron Leftwich before finishing the season with Chris Redman.

• If Atlanta doesn't take McFadden, then Oakland will. (Remember, Oakland and Atlanta have a coin toss to determine who picks third overall.) After drafting first overall in 2007, Oakland could be looking at getting the best player in the draft if McFadden is available.

Also, there are only 31 selections in the first round this year because the New England Patriots had to forfeit their pick after illegally videotaping signals during their Week 1 game against the New York Jets.

The draft projections below are not based on ratings, but on information I have gathered and where I think teams will go based on needs. The first-round projections will be updated Jan. 31 following evaluations from the Senior Bowl.

* denotes underclassman; ** denotes teams that will decide draft order by coin flip.

Kiper's First-Round Projection
    Name Team Player Position
    1 Miami Dolphins Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU
    2 St. Louis Rams Chris Long, DE Virginia
    3 Atlanta Falcons** Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
    4 Oakland Raiders** *Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
    5 Kansas City Chiefs** Jake Long, OT Michigan
    6 New York Jets *Vernon Gholston, DE Ohio St.
    7 New England Patriots (from SF) *Aqib Talib, CB Kansas
    8 Baltimore Ravens Sedrick Ellis, DT USC
    9 Cincinnati Bengals *Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
    10 New Orleans Saints Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
    11 Buffalo Bills *Malcolm Kelly, WR Oklahoma
    12 Denver Broncos *Ryan Clady, OT Boise St.
    13 Carolina Panthers Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh
    14 Chicago Bears Sam Baker, OT USC
    15 Detroit Lions Leodis McKelvin, CB Troy
    16 Arizona Cardinals *Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon
    17 Minnesota Vikings *DeSean Jackson, WR California
    18 Houston Texans Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida
    19 Philadelphia Eagles Chris Williams, OT Vanderbilt
    20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers *Felix Jones, RB Arkansas
    21 Washington Redskins *Calais Campbell, DE Miami
    22 Dallas Cowboys (from CLE) *Mario Manningham, WR Michigan
    23 Pittsburgh Steelers *Chilo Rachal, OG USC
    24 Tennessee Titans Limas Sweed, WR Texas
    25 Seattle Seahawks Fred Davis, TE USC
    26 Jacksonville Jaguars *Derrick Harvey, DE Florida
    27 San Diego Chargers *Reggie Smith, CB Oklahoma
    28 Dallas Cowboys *Rashard Mendenhall, RB Illinois
    29 San Francisco 49ers (from IND) *James Hardy, WR Indiana
    30 Green Bay Packers Keith Rivers, LB USC
    31 New York Giants Dan Connor, LB Penn St.
    32 New England Patriots Forfeited pick

9. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Scouts Inc.'s Top 32Player Pos. School Grade
    1. Darren McFadden* RB Arkansas 99
    2. Chris Long DE Virginia 98
    3. Glenn Dorsey DT LSU 98
    4. Matt Ryan QB Boston Coll. 97
    5. Jake Long OT Michigan 97
    6. Sedrick Ellis DT USC 97
    7. Ryan Clady* OT Boise St. 97
    8. Vernon Gholston* DE Ohio State 96
    9. Brian Brohm QB Louisville 96
    10. DeSean Jackson* WR California 96
    11. Kenny Phillips* S Miami 95
    12. Mike Jenkins CB S. Florida 95
    13. Malcolm Kelly* WR Oklahoma 95
    14. Samuel Baker OT USC 95
    15. Derrick Harvey* DE Florida 94
    16. Andre Woodson Jr. QB Kentucky 94
    17. Aqib Talib* CB Kansas 94
    18. Limas Sweed WR Texas 94
    19. Keith Rivers OLB USC 94
    20. Rashard Mendenhall* RB Illinois 94
    21. Mario Manningham* WR Michigan 93
    22. Jonathan Stewart* RB Oregon 93
    23. Dan Connor OLB Penn State 93
    24. Calais Campbell* DE Miami 93
    25. Kentwan Balmer DT N. Carolina 93
    26. Fred Davis TE USC 93
    27. James Hardy* WR Indiana 93
    28. Ali Highsmith OLB LSU 92
    29. Early Doucet WR LSU 92
    30. Jeffrey Otah OT Pittsburgh 91
    31. Pat Sims* DT Auburn 91
    32. Felix Jones* RB Arkansas 91
    * Denotes draft-eligible underclassmen

All Star Game Bowl review

Senior Bowl - North Game Report

South Game report

Don Banks Mock

Senior Bowl: Final analysis By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com,

Top 12 RB Prospects in the NFL Draft SI

SI Body Paint Special

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    My top 5 @ #27,.... who's yours...

right now:
    . Chris Williams, L/ROT... protect Rivers and allow LT to run right... great feet/agility, long arms, could be a little nastier... bookends to protect our $$$ investment...
    . Pat Sims, DE/NT... need some beef on the d-line... a lot of upside in this junior... can step into the DE rotation NOW - very good speed and penetration skills... has the frame to mature into a 3-4 NT...
    . Reggie Smith, FS... a guy that plays big in big games... with Weddle, makes for a very athletic secondary... great instincts and seems to "step up" more often than not... see Texas game...
    . Quentin Groves, OLB... another guy that plays big in big games... a playmaker... when healthy, he can be dominant... teams have to know where he is... IF the OLB's on this team represent the pass rush, it's nice to have 4 (Tucker) that can rotate in and stay fresh even into the 4th Qtr...
    . T.Porter or C.Godfrey, CB... speed kills in the NFL at CB... perfect for our nickel to handle the slot (assumes Cro2 is gone)... need a guy that can handle the slot receiver, and given our competition in the AFC (Dolts/Cheats), means a speedster... these 2 represent the speed in this draft...

I love our options at #27...

11. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    I still want Flowers I mean we will need a nickel replacement if Flo leaves FA! Flowers is a top 10 talent that hasnt been exposed that much!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BsMNyu77Ld8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BsMNyu77Ld8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

I don't see the value in any OT on this board in the first round. Cherilus looked almost similar to Jacob Rogers/USC from a few years ago. He let defenders get into him too easy, and smaller guys were shedding him with one arm in run blocking. The Nebraska kid (Nix?) looked like a late 2nd round talent, and the BC kid wasn't as good as him. Neither looks as good as Clary right now, so I'm confused on how anyone thinks these available kids in the draft are going to upgrade us???

Safety is still the weakest link of all our starting positions - by FAR. The CB theory (as proposed by Acee) is that basically Weddle pushes McCree out, Oliver moves from CB to S and pushes Hart out, so that leaves a need for a nickel CB to draft.

Acee doesn't seem to have much faith in Gordon, and Acee also seems to have more faith in Clary than some fans. Sometimes Acee tries to act like he knows more, or that he's getting inside info, but my gut feeling is that his "inside info" on draft needs is just a concensus amongst the press box crew of the UT.

I still say that if we go OL, it needs to be at OG. Goff is under contract for only one more year, and I doubt AJ will pay market prices to retain him. I don't think Clary is OG material, and I don't think Olivea will be in SD when training camp opens (his attitude). For everyone that wants to replace Clary, you're also going to be replacing Goff with another player after this season. That's two players. Isn't it simpler to just draft one player? Get Clary stronger, take advantage of his athleticism and long wingspan and train him up, just like they did with Dielman at OG. Draft a guard to replace Goff in '09 ... if we draft OL.

13. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Actually i saw Mayock say he had short arms at 32 3/4"

Isnt that what Olivea's arms measured at?

Its at the beggining

Heres the vid

14. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Acee is the voice of the Chargers on this?

I wouldnt mind a CB if we can get a good player if Oliver is moving to safety but i do not agree about Cherilus. If he has faults, thats what we hired Jack Henry for. No player comes without faults.

McNeill proved a lot of us wrong as i didnt like him much at all and we know how you felt about him :yes: :icon_rofl:

We have a OG to replace Goff.....two in fact.....Olivea and Clary.

We'll see

15. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    If you want a G Duke Robinson (oklahoma) is a monster and is going to get some major push after combine and pro-day workouts

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    Olivea flat out is terrible no offense, I like Clary but he isnt dominant in the run game....We need to go out and pick up a stud G like Duke Robinson, however our nickel situation is my biggest concern!

17. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    then he's full of chiat, like so many other statements he makes... never been a Mayock fan... you saw the film, I hope... he looks damn good to me...

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    As a OT i agree.

He has short arms, not great feet and ive been saying move him to OG for over 2 years now. No reason he cant be better there. He wont have to contend with speed rushers and rely on his feet....although he will have to pull which he can do.

I hope we sign a vet safety or a CB. I like the guys Ron listed but they are raw and i doubt they will be in on nickel situtations. I bet we use Gregory or Gordon first, or Hart if Oliver wins his job.

19. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah i saw it.....i like him. I just think Cherilus is better. Those concerns that Shammy posted i dont think should be concerns.

Jack Henry will give him squared away. They are very correctable concerns.

Mayock is annoying sometimes but .......i assume he had the measurable's in front of him since he was talking about a specific player.

Hey i dont know....its still very early. Combines coming up.

20. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Acee has never been the voice. Just pointing out what he thinks that he thinks . :D

Over the first 3/4's of this season (or more), McNeill showed all the weaknesses that many of us discussed. Playing high, and without power. Didn't finish plays. Too much lean. Beat inside .... He finally woke up late in the season, but still wasn't as good as his rookie year. He better get a whole lot more consistent next season. Leander Jordan sucked as an OT, and that's what some of McNeill's games looked like this year - or WORSE. KC and Tenn both tore him up. He was frequently bad, for long stretches, this season. I've never seen a LT have as bad a game as we saw McNeill have in Tennessee. He was horrible. But, go ahead and add smilies on your takes about that. McNeill has showed why we were hesitant about him, and he's also showed why SD was high on him. He needs to get better and get consistent.

Clary doesn't look like OG material to me in his build, or his strengths. He's a better pass blocker than run blocker at this point. He's also a better pass blocker than anyone who was at the Senior Bowl. IMO, he just needs some weight room work and experience.

Olivea used to be a candidate for OG. However, it was plain to see that he quit on the team. He didn't block anyone in the Ravens game. Didn't even try. After that game, he just got fat and lazy. He looked like he was completely out of shape at the end of the season. Something is wrong with him, and it's not his back injury. It's attitude. I will bet that he's gone before the team reports to training camp. Y'all can keep figuring on plugging him in to OG after Goff's contract comes up, but I don't think he'll be here.

For two years after Dielman became the starter, at least 1/2 the forum's posters on every board said we still needed to draft an OG for that spot. It's like people think you just draft one and the problem is solved. As McNeill's regression showed, that isn't the case. Players take time to develop, and growing your own is sometimes the best choice. Dielman is a prime example, and I think Clary will be a solid RT too - given some time.

I didn't see anyone at the Senior Bowl that's better that Clary. Maybe some of y'all think so, but IMO the Chargers will be looking for OG's and lower round OT's as depth. They won't be looking for one of these kids to beat out Clary.

Here's what Lombardo had to say about the Senior Bowl, the OL, and the Chargers:

• Like Like x 2
  21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    sounds to me like we will pick up OL in later rounds again, CB or DT in the first

22. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Perhaps, but its the senior bowl. We have combines and prodays still to come and who the Chargers talk to doesnt ever mount to anything but gossip by columnists. We hardly ever pick a player that we see in a column that we talked to.
    Who saw Buster Davis coming?

IMO we just need to get better in the trenches...both sides. I dont mind a CB, but id prfer a OT. Again, our QB is coming off of ACL surgery and if Clary goes down..should he be the starter, then what?

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Beef. It's what's for drafting. :yes:

24. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Right now I think the draft is favoring DB and RB where we will be selecting. It isn't very often you may have a shot at a franchise RB st 27 or a real good CB.

The Chargers roster could handle either one. The Bolts face muti Wr sets all of the time and if we had a injury to a starter we are shallow.

Back up RB can be found in the lower rounds of the draft that is a fact however seldom can you find a franchise back. I think Smith hedged his bets on LT last season with Turner sacrificing a 1st round pick in 2008 for that insurance policy.

LT did get hurt in the playoffs and Turner was very important in our win on the road at Indy. For some old time fans think back to 1995 after we lost Means and you will catch my drift.

Back up backs and franchise backs are not the same.

You can chip to help out a ROT but their isn't much you can do to make a RB be great either he is or he isn't.

The list of potential CB sure has expanded.

Aqib Talib CB 6'1" 201 KANSAS
    Leodis McKelvin CB 5'10" 186 TROY UNIVERSITY
    Brandon Flowers CB 5'1" 192 VIRGINIA TECH
    Antoine Cason CB 6'0" 190 ARIZONA
    Patrick Lee CB 5'11" 197 AUBURN
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB 6'1" 181 TENNESSEE STATE

Thats a pretty big group add in who should be around in the lower rounds.

Marcus Griffin S 5'11" 200 TEXAS
    Jamie Silva S 5'11" 204 BOSTON COLLEGE
    Tom Zbikowski S 5'11" 207 NOTRE DAME
    Dejuan Morgan S 6'1" 203 NORTH CAROLINA ST

25. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    We dont need a franchise back because we already have one. If AJ wanted that type of RB, he would just resign Micheal Turner instead of drafting another RB in the first round that wil not play much.

We can get a franchise RB within the next few years....they will STILL be out there.

Please show me a list of franchise OT's that were drafted in the lower rounds? Rivers needs a good RT as does LT. We cant run to the right effectively because Clary is not a good run blocking RT and Gates still isnt that great a blocker.

If we needed a RB if we did not have LT , then id be on board...till then, there have been very good backups who have stepped up big for their teams such as RB's Ryan Grant, Ahmad Bradshaw, Derrick Ward, Micheal Turner, Chester Taylor, Ernest Graham, Kenneth Keith, Willie Parker, Selvin Young.
    Im sure i missed some too.

Those are the types we should be looking for right now and AJ did it once, he will do it again.

Id be fine with a CB....although the article i saw yesterday said Oliver to safety isnt a givin. It is a thought by the staff that they will kick around during the off season so we will see how that turns out.

26. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I will be very curious to see what they do with Oliver, he is extremely talented, and just might become the stud safety we need!:abq2:

27. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Link to Oliver

SCOUTING REPORT: CB Paul Oliver was drafted in the fourth round of the 2007 supplemental draft as a project. He was behind in training camp and was never considered a possibility to play in 2007. In 2008, though, he will get plenty of action, either as a nickel back or a safety in the dime defense. The Chargers are considering moving Oliver (5-10, 195) from corner to safety because he may lack the burst to play corner in the NFL. The team will spend the offseason evaluating where to play him, and then implementing the change if there is one. The Chargers still see him as a steal for a fourth-rounder and were impressed by his work ethic and ball skills in practice.

28. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354

Give me both.......:tup::abq1::abq1:

29. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Oliver weighed 195 out of college, he is now 208 according to several sources. It is also iffy where his height is at, hes between 5'10 and 6'0.

Anyways he actually DID play this season(have no idea how much). He played in the home playoff game against the Titans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/photo;_ylt=Aod6nuydrf7l50tMU7mgdNz.uLYF?slug=b8608e9d33301034ad96ba0480cafd7e-getty-78666146vd034_afc_wild_card&prov=getty