1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger Rumors

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The Chargers are expected to move RT Jeromey Clary to guard to replace Mike Goff after the upcoming season.
    San Diego is starved for depth behind Clary after cutting Shane Olivea. Right tackle is one of the Bolts' few obvious need areas heading to the draft.

Chargers signed SS Clinton Hart to a five-year extension through 2012. Profootballtalk.com reports the deal is worth about $3 million a year.
    Hart, who was originally undrafted, paid his dues on special teams before taking over as a full-time player in 2007. He finished third on the Bolts with 85 stops and picked off five passes. Hart isn't a great IDP bet behind a stingy and talented front seven, but has emerged as a quality NFL starter.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=SD

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers | Team meets with Lowery
    Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:50:11 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Diego Chargers met with San Jose State CB Dwight Lowery.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers | Team attends Western Michigan Pro Day
    Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:02:08 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports the San Diego Chargers attended the University of Western Michigan's Pro Day Tuesday, April 8.

Chargers | J. Clary to move to RT
    Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:02:57 -0700

Kevin Acee, of The San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers OL Jeromey Clary will move to right tackle after OG Mike Goff's contract expires after this season. The team does not currently have a backup for Goff.

Chargers | Weddle expected to start in 2008
    Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:35:21 -0700

Casey Pearce, of Chargers.com, reports San Diego Chargers SS Eric Weddle is expected to start at free safety for the team in 2008.

Chargers | Hart says new contract won't change approach
    Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:30:01 -0700

Casey Pearce, of Chargers.com, reports San Diego Chargers SS Clinton Hart said his new contract will not affect his approach to the game. Hart and the Chargers agreed to terms on a new five-year contract Monday, April 7. Hart said some people get a new contract and become satisfied. He stated that he is never satisfied and will focus on his performance and helping the team accomplish its goals.

Chargers | Hart participating in offseason workouts
    Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:20:38 -0700

Casey Pearce, of Chargers.com, reports San Diego Chargers SS Clinton Hart is participating in the team's voluntary offseason conditioning workouts.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Chargers have to go O Line, unless the rest of the teams higher up go brain dead and let a no brainer slip as far as us. AJ hasn't just been good, he has also been lucky. Maybe we get Eight the Hard Way again this year.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Why would they move Clary at RG when they have Mrzucowski who they have been raving about for two years?

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I agree. Clary's strengths won't help him at guard, and his weakness at run blocking won't help him either. He needs to solidify his role at RT, so that we can use the draft to get a replacement for Goff.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Even going back to when he was drafted, clary was seen as a solid backup and a steady but average starter. I always likened him to Vaughn Parker from the 90s. He's solid in taking over if there's an injury and the like, but he'll never be anything but so-so. And moving him into guard, where as far as I know I've never heard of him playing there, won't help the fact that he's not a great run or pass blocker.

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I actually think that he can be a good starter at right tackle for the team, but it all will depend on his will and determination this off-season to improve his leg strength in the power running game. In his first year starting he showed a lot of ability in pass protection, and he was one of our better offensive lineman when it came to blocking out in space. With that being said, I don't know where this idea has come from about him moving to guard. If he gets beat out at RT by a draft pick, then I don't see him being moved inside, rather I see him being used as depth for both of the tackle positions.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sure would be nice if Brandon Albert fell to #27. :yes:

As others have said, if Clary remains a starter, he seems better suited to the RT position. The RG needs to be able to pull & lead for LT. That doesn't appear to be one of Clary's strengths.

10. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I'd rather take a nickleback with our #1 if Jeromey Clary really dedicates himself this offseason to improving his weak areas. Right now I think he's an average to below average RT, but only because his power blocking sucks. He's ok in space and decent in pass pro, but if his run blocking at the point of attack doesn't improve, then we need to upgrade.

If Scott Mrscu@#% is as good as the coaches keep telling us he is, then why can't he take over for Goff? I just don't see how Clary makes any sense at guard. I'll admit that I've really liked the small bit that we've seen from Mruch, but basing his ability off 10 or so plays against starting caliber players is stupid.

After watching Florence get exploited hardcore against Brady and Peyton, I really believe that we need a top quality nickleback to get over the hump. Plus, what happens if Jammer or Cro get hurt?

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    rumor: just draft Chris Williams damnit...
    :yes:

12. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    the "official" sched will be released tomorrow...Tues 15th

looking forward to identifying the roadie this year... SWEEP the Donks...

• Like Like x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    and rest assured the Lions/Bears/Panthers/Broncos/etc will kindly take you up on your advice :icon_tease:

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Am I missing something here? :icon_shrug: he's already the RT, if he takes over for Goff he would move to right Guard

If that was copied and pasted from a reputable web page then I'd have to say WTF? :icon_huh:

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

I'm going to Tampa Bay. :yes: :abq2: :icon_party: :abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Im looking at the Denver game. Here theres always a good turn out.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I nominate the London game for second annual Bolttalk Las Vegas trip to Michael's Pub.

18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm going to be looking into this one, too.:yes:

19. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    This is another one I'm looking at. Miami too.:yes:

20. Boltomatic

Boltomatic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +89
    I'm down for that. Haven't been to Vegas in years. That would make a great road trip.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    seconded

vote?

22. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    which probabably means the chargers will pick either cherilus or otah i'm a guessing.

And probably get a good backup running back in round 5 if one is still there.

Personally I just hope we land at least one real stalwart very good player this draft. And one good backup running back. Thats all I'm hoping for this draft. If we get more. All the better.

Next year we'll have alot of draft picks. Which I'm sure we'll then use to fill spots that might open up in the years ahead.\

With A.j.. I wouldn't rule anything out though. The guy is a river boat gambler that seems to have several aces up his sleeve to use when needed. God bless him.

23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    As long as the schedule doesn't screw me somehow, I am going to that one too.

24. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Before anyone makes plans, let me find out when the Bolt Pride is planning on being here. Last season, the bar was closed to the "public" for a private party when they were here. Too many people.
    :icon_party:

25. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

Let's get the place scheduled before they do...;) :tup:

You know the BT Vegas roadie will be much bigger next season. :icon_toast:

26. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'll go with ya - RMancil will host...:yes:

27. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    My cousin is there as well so we'll get "hooked up" Ron. :yes:

SL we'll all have to meet up out there. :bolt:

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    who wants to call Michael's Pub and ask about reserving part of the place? We might want to offer advertisement and even a live podcast from the pub to sweeten the deal

29. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Wasn't that where Andruw Jones went for his legendary "We wanted to see some good lesbian action" blast? :yes:

30. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    My cousin gave me the tour last july- it's ALL good. :yes: :snoop: