1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger Season Predictions (bottom line & before start of Game 1)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lance19, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Okay, we're about 34 hours before the kickoff of the 2014 Chargers season.

I think it would be nice to record--definitively, no excuses--what each of us
    predicts, re. this season.

This way we have a verifiable record: no fudging or saying that
    "What I was really saying in early September" was what happened...though it wasn't.
    (this is inspired by my experiences with one or two here who routinely re-write their usually wrong predictions) :p

So, 2 things required:

1) Your best guess as to Chargers' regular season record (and why...in two sentences or less).

2) Whether or not you think that that record will be good enough to get the Chargers in the playoffs

Hedging is cheating: No entries like: "Well, 12-4 if everyone stays healthy, as low as 6-10 if not."
    Injuries are part of the game for all 32 teams, no using the certainty of injuries to excuse bad predictions.

The Charger opener kicks off at 7:20pm pdt, 8 Sept. Entries by 7:15 will be valid.

(I'm still thinking about my prediction...definitely up by tomorrow...)

Here are the brave people, as of 7:16 pm (pdt), 9/8/14

Ant: 10-6
    JohnnyX: 16-0 (last second change)
    Blitzy: 10-6
    Lightning's Girl: 10-6
    Dublin Bolt: 10-6
    ChargeFwd: 11-5
    Hex: 13-3
    bigmike: 11-5

Joy Division: 16-0* (likely intoxicated)
    Bigkdb: 11-5
    eoconnor101: 10-6
    Conc: 13-3
    Pointy: 15-1
    Lance19: 9-7

Average prediction for first 10 sober Charger fans: 10.8 & 5.2 (= ~11-5)

Keep Calm Bolt Predictions Sept 2014 r.png

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm going with 10-6. I think this is going to be a tougher schedule but by and large we can win these games with a deeper and healthier team than last year. I think with some injuries it could be 8-8.

3. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    1) 16-0 (because predictions aren't worth anything, unless there's a prize).
    2) yes.

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Hmmm...honestly, it never crossed my mind that Charger fans would suddenly NOT want to offer their opinions, unless bribed. Do you think the pseudo-accountability would really make anyone here reluctant to go on record?

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    1) 11-5: Our offense is already among the top in the league, and now our defense is finally making headway, at least on paper. I also don't think the schedule is as tough as everyone else seems to.

2) Yes.

I'm not even 100% confident we won't start 0-2. But there is a stretch there where we play Buffalo, Jacksonville, NY Jets, Raiders, Chiefs where we should gain ground. I think a 5-2 or 6-1 start is very possible.

The toughest part of the schedule appears to be weeks 13-16; @Ravens, Patriots, Broncos, @49ers late in the season....if we can get through that 2-2 I think we're in.

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    12-4; I don't believe in the tough schedule baloney. I think it'll be tough for the teams facing us on our schedule than it is for us.

7. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    1- 10-6

2- Yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    10-6.
    Absolutely!:helm1:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I can't even answer questions from "Would You Rather" (a super fun board game omg) definitively. I sure as hell can't make a definitive-no excuses statement on how I think the Chargers will do :p

Any given Sunday (or Thursday or Monday) EVERYTHING can change.

I don't care how they get there (well maybe a little) but so long as we give ourselves a shot at the dance by making the playoffs - It's highly likely that I'll be a happy camper. The ultimate goal will always be a championship, but you can't get there without getting into the tournament.

One step/play/game at a time yo~

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Oh, c'mon Syd...it's not like you're going to be flogged if you miss by a few games...
    I'm curious as to what you really think...you know more than lots of folks on here...

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Seriously, after today, that's as definitive as I get. I think our guys can hang with most anyone, but I don't necessarily trust them to do so. Based on our schedule 10-6 seems just as reasonable as 8-8. Key injury here, amazing play there, vets finding the fountain of youth, rookies finding their sea legs... hell one botched call by a ripped man in stripes can make an impact.

All I know for certain is we're scoring 5mil+ points tomorrow and AZ is scoring 15.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Okay, you covered your AZ... :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Exactly how I feel.

My main concern is we'll come in playing it cautious, I don't want to see a bunch of draws and screens until we find ourselves down 7-17 in the 3rd quarter, and then we decide to open it up. On the other side, I don't want to see us go ahead 21-10....and be contented (a la Norv) at 21-10. The Cards are a team that can come from behind very quickly.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    1. 10 and 6. We're better than last yr (greater depth) and we should have/could have been better than 9 and 7 in 2013.
    2. Yes.

15. Chargefwd

Chargefwd BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    11-5. Hopefully We have the depth to get to "mid season form" at the right time and peak just in time for a commanding finish.
    Yes!

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah all 7 of our losses were very close, and most of them (4 at least) we had no business losing. We had a ton of redzone issues, we were plagued with injuries on the front 7 to the point where we had to start guys who didn't even make the team this year, I think every one along the O-line missed a game or two or more, we had no Floyd, no spell for Ryan Mathews so he was run into the ground......Our depth is absolutely better right now.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    13-3 because I like the numbers, other than that I have no clue. They'll make the playoffs coming in at 13-3, It all starts tonight.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    My heart says 12-4 if our defensive line can get above league average level of production and defense continues to build off of where we left off last season. (Allowing 24 points against the best offense ever? Not bad.)

Realistically no higher than 11-5 with losses to Seattle, Denver, Miami, Baltimore, and San Francisco. Same reasoning applies, but defense needs to be at league average levels.

Both records are definitely good enough to make the playoffs as a wild card team.

19. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    My opinion was offered with the mindset that my opinion means nothing, with the afterthought that it still holds no value whether there is a prize involved or not. With that being said, I'm still going with 16-0.
    I scoff at bragging rights because of a guessed number*.

*this member is currently enrolled in a wine-tasting class and his snobbiness is clearly below the snobbiness of other current members**.

**though clearly making a concerted effort.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    1) 11-5
    2) Hell Yeah playoffs

• Like Like x 1
  21. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    1) 10-6. Rivers looked good in his first season in a new system, there will be continued improvements in year two. Some holes on defense were addressed in the offseason, I expect opposition. QBs will have to get rid quicker and into tighter coverage.
    2) Yes, though unlikely to win a ring, this year. But a new window could be opening if Rivers has a few more years in him.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
  23. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    1. 15-1

2. Yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    1) 9 - 7

2) No

Breaks my heart to say so...but I didn't see enough upgrade to the D in the offseason.

25. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Fudge my guess before. I'm going 19-0 minutes before kickoff.

• Creative Creative x 1