1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charger-turned-Niner Fred Dean answers Hall’s call

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-halloffame-dean&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    what did the 9ers give us for him?

3. Boltsessive

Boltsessive Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I tried to do research on this, but all I can gather was a second round pick (which I think was traded) and a first round swap, which should have happened in 1982.

I think if he didn't go to the 49'ers, he would not have made the HOF, but he may have helped the Chargers get to the SB. Pretty much a bad deal for the Chargers, and a positive for Dean and the Niners.

4. hoff529

hoff529 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +20
    Ya , I was too young to remember. But it sounds like we should of held onto this guy. Leslie O'Niel before Leslie O'Niel. Well it's great to see him get in. Sounds like he deserves it.

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Nice avatar.....:drool:

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    In 1981 they traded wide receiver John Jefferson to the Green Bay Packers after he held out for an increase in salary but replaced him with Wes Chandler. Defensive end Fred Dean also became involved in a hold out and was traded to the 49ers.

Then in 1982 Klein cut salary in preparation of selling the team, sending defensive linemen Gary "Big Hands" Johnson and Louie Kelcher to San Francisco, where they would join Dean and offensive tackle Billy Shields for another 49ers championship in Super Bowl XXIV.

Thus screwing the fans of San Diego out of what was probably the closest we ever came to having a Super Bowl winning team

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

UNTIL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Gene Klein really screwed the franchise for about a decade when he decided he'd rather spend his money on his Del Mar horse farm than on contracts for these great players:

John Jefferson
    Fred Dean
    Louie Kelcher
    Gary "Big Hands" Johnson

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    We ended up not getting much for Fred Dean, when it all shook out.

The Niners got a big piece of their defense that helped with two Super Bowl victories.

9. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...And I've never stopped hating the phucker ever since. The only good thing about him was his unbridled hatred for Al Davis.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Let's not forget what he DID do for the Bolts.

:icon_shrug:

:tup:

11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    If I remember correctly, the Dean and Jefferson things happened because of Klein's contentious relationship with their agent Howard Slusher. Klein basically said "F you, your clients are under contract." And then he traded the players out of spite. Jefferson went to Green Bay and pretty much disappeared, while Dean flourished in San Fran.