1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers’ burning question: How do they get past the Pats?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=chargersburningquestionh&prov=tsn&type=lgns

By Vinnie Iyer - SportingNews

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Nice read, Ray. Thanks for posting that. I don't think they'll need to play flawless but they WILL need to turn FGs into TDs. On the flip side, maybe turn a Cheater TD or two into FGs. The Chargers have more talent, more youth and probably more motivation on their side. They just need to avoid the head game that plagued them in 2006. I think they were emotionally READY in the Conferance Championship last year but fell short due to injuries. They simply lacked the weapons to conquer the red zone. This is their year..I can feel it :tup:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I maintain a non-injured LT/Gates would've turned a few of those field goals into TDs.

But just like last year with playoffs in general, this is another hump that is needed to get over, and I've got faith we can.

Looking back to those two wins we have had against the patriots, we have played better, we have had those backbreaking plays, and from there we coasted to victory.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    "deliverance" Brady... :icon_eek:

:lol:

5. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    You guys hit the nail on the head......score touchdowns in the red zone and you win games.

I might say something controversial, but it, I think, has some merit.

I don't know if you guys having homefield advantage is as big a plus for you all as it is for a team back east. Its not a fan thing (you guys are great), or an indictment on your team........ITS A WEATHER THING!!!

Guys back east love going out to San Diego or down to Florida for playoff games. Everywhere back east is cold or dreary that time of year.

Now, the weatherman failed the Titans back in January, LOL, but guys are legitimately energized by the thoughts of a potential fast track at that time of year.

Just a thought!

6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    good read can't find much to disagree with.

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    That was a good article. Hopefully we get it done this season!

8. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    A big point that the author missed is our running game. LT needs to step up in the playoffs for once, control the ball, keep it away from Brady and the Pats offense.

The Pats have a lot of aging players at key defensive positions. We need to tire them out with the run.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You got that right! :tup:

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Very nice read ChargerRay. Hell, some of US could have wrote that article! :yes:

11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Ahhh man, it's so hard to "embrace the hate" when you read an article like that.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The biggest single factor between us merely making the playoffs and bringing home the Lombardi is staying healthy. Jamal needs to drop about 10-15 pounds to keep his knees healthier-he won't lose any strength and he'll be a tad quicker. LT simply needs to do what he's been doing since he was a rookie. Hardwick has time to heal along with Gates considering the early part of our schedule and the acquisition of Newberry and the maturing of Naanee. The O Line will allow Rivers another half second or so in the pocket, which I think is all he'll need. If the Illustrated man performs like I suspect, then we have a really solid front.

13. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    One of the things he forgot to add to great article is creating a scheme on defense to tear Brady a new one. Lets be honest now, a Charger in his face equals big plays on defense ie Cro taking it to the house. Nice read.:bolt:

14. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...When you look at how Brady struggled at times against exotic defense packages, it's obvious that the Chargers need to duplicate that tactic. Actually, other than the early season game in Foxboro last year, the Chargers have done fairly well against Brady. They just need to mix it up and keep him from finding a groove. The key is pressure, pressure, pressure!

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    IMO, it's not just the injuries, it was also the experience. Same with 2007.

Patsies have been there plenty of times and Chargers had very little playoff experience. But this season, they'll know how to slam the door on the Patsies!!! :bolt: :yes:

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :tup: Very good points.

We have the experience, no more excuses, this has GOT TO BE OUR YEAR!

:tup:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Take away their tapes.

18. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    oh yeah I forgot,

C*cks*cking patriots:icon_evil:

19. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    'Bout time someone pointed this out.....I am so tired of this Brady v Manning BS....the real rivalry now is NE v SD!!!!

20. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    ill break it down simply, i dont need a full out paragraph ;)

do what we do best -- play football. :D

good find tho ray! i liked it a lot :D

21. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

Totally agree....nothing to do with fan support.... Teams love playing in SD. It's like a vacation weather wise.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice read, Ray. Thanks!

Our offense can get it done against NE if we're healthy. I believe that we have the advantage their in youth & speed. The OL just has to give Rivers time & LT holes.

On defense, we now have the depth at DB (I believe) to throw a very good dime package against Brady. Get a push up the middle, harass him, & our DBs can match up just fine w/Moss & Co.

Post-season experience helps & we now have that. Hunger will go a long way, too. I believe this is OUR year. :bolt:

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    My question is this:

How does the Pats get past the Chargers?

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Pressure Brady with an assortment of blitzes - not just our 'backers but send corners & safeties, too. I believe that we have the DB's to handle that load this year. Run the dime, but send one, perhaps two DB's after Brady. Our ILB have got to be stout against the run - shut it down & make Brady beat our secondary. He's shown before that he's just as susceptible as the next guy when rattled. We need to harass him & intercept him. And mix up the schemes!! Be unpredictable!! For all of his douchebaggeriness, Belichick knows how to prepare. Show them some new looks, Ted!!!

On offense, spread their tired old asses out. Don't beat the middle against Wilfork - get our young, fast guys out in space against their tired old linebackers. Run Bruschy, Seau, & Harrison until their tongues are hanging out. Stretch the field with Chambers & VJ, then blast them with Hester into the line & LT & Sproles on screens. I honestly believe that we have more weapons than they can cover. The key will be giving PR time to throw. Keep him vertical.

Difference in the game? The back of PR's jersey vs. Brady's. If PR's is cleaner, we win.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Just pound and pound and pound some more, pound on them from the opening whistle till the gun ends the game.

26. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    We got FG and not TD vs NE just because we couldn't challenge them across the field in the red zone. IF LT and Gates had been in there, it would have been a guessing game for NE on D on what part of our O they want to take away. They can stop any single part of our O, but they can't stop everyone. The rest of the game, after we started kicking FG, I felt like we where pressing a little bit. Trying to generate big plays that would lead to TD's. I think Rivers is the prototype QB for playing with a lead. He throws very few int's and he has a quick release. We just need to mix in the run and pass and control the clock to put more pressure on Brady.

On D, if we can make NE more 1 dimensional, we win going away. When we played our press coverage package, Brady had to hold onto the ball and he made some bad decisions. If we are off the field more on D then we can really mix in some more blitzes and really play to our strength. We where a great press coverage team last season, but with Weddle moving into the starting lineup at S and the upgrades at nickel and dime, it really favors us playing some more blitz packages because we essentially have guys with CB coverage skills playing everywhere in our secondary. Teams don't get that sort of lame duck matchup vs S who can't run and turn like they do against most D.

I think what many people in the media are forgetting about NE is that they are not the same team as last season. On O, they are pretty close. But they lost Stallworth at 1 WR spot and Gaffney got some great matchups as the 4th CB, so they are not as deep or as fast as they where at WR last season. I can't imagine Faulk & Kaczur are going to be as focused. On D, they lost a couple of key DB's and Rodney is getting older. They also would have loved to find a replacement for Ellis Hobbs, but not only have they not replaced him, I can't imagine the new guys they have drafted will be able to push him down the depth chart any.

I think the biggest change will be mental. LAst year I got the impression that a lot of what we where doing was, if NE does this, we will react like this...... This season, I think it is going to be a lot more of us dictating what is going to happen and seeing them react. On defense we dictated to them some because of our press coverage.

I think we have an excellent chance to beat NE. I think we just need to play well, but I don't think we need to be flawless.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think maybe if we stay mostly in the Nickel and double up on Moss and disguise blitzing and LB drop offs, we can wreak havoc with Brady. Marvin Harris is a tad slower. We can man up on most of their receivers and occasionally drop an LB into coverage and then blitz off the edge. Jamal is going to be healthy enough to plug the middle again. If the OLB maintain their lanes, they can't run wide and Olshansky will force them away from the tackle gap. If they aren't running Merriman and and Castillo pin their ears back.

28. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I believe the correct word is "douchebaggery". :icon_wink:

But I think you have the scenario right-- The defense has to pressure Brady, and the offense have to spread the Pats' defense. A big return on Special Teams would be a tremendous help, and let's have a show of hands for those who'd like to see Cro get an INT (or two) and have some open field to work with. :yes: