1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers’ lack of offer to Merriman is curious

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thursday, February 12 2009
    By Adam Schefter

Lost in all of the LaDainian Tomlinson turmoil in San Diego is Shawne Merriman and his rehabilitation from his knee injury. The loss of Merriman had a huge impact on the Chargers’ defense, which registered 42 sacks in 2007 but only 28 in 2008.

In the past 20 months, the Chargers have handed out lucrative contract extensions to seven defensive players. Meanwhile, linebacker Shawne Merriman has not gotten anything close to one.

Now Merriman’s future in San Diego is, at best, clouded. Next season, the linebacker will be headed into the last year of his contract.

Plus, making it even more difficult for San Diego to re-sign Merriman is this little factoid: After the 2009 season, in the year that Merriman’s contract is scheduled to expire, the Chargers will be busy trying to keep a handful of players whose contracts are up. Those players include quarterback Philip Rivers, offensive tackle Marcus McNeil, wide receivers Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers and Pro Bowl special teamer Kassim Osgood. And the year after, the Chargers will try to re-sign cornerback Antonio Cromartie, tight end Antonio Gates and safety Eric Weddle, all of whom are scheduled to be free agents after the 2010 season.

In the NFL, teams are judged by action, not talk. The action the Chargers have taken so far with Merriman speaks volumes. They have signed linebackers Shaun Phillips, Matt Wilhem and Jyles Tucker to extensions, as well as defensive tackles Luis Castillo and Ryon Bingham, cornerback Steve Gregory and safety Clinton Hart. But they have made few attempts to re-sign Merriman. There are plenty around the league who believe this is not coincidental.

Norv Turner on Shawne Merriman “Shawne is making great progress. He’s in another stage of the rehab now where he’s in here on a regular basis lifting. He’s in the training room on a regular basis. He’s where we’d like him to be at this point. It’s very similar to where Philip (Rivers) was last year at this point with the exception of the fact that Shawne plays a different position. What he’s going to be asked to do is different than what the quarterback is asked to do.

“Shawne is further along from a time standpoint because Philip had his in February after the season and Shawne’s surgery was done in September. He’s in a similar mode in that he’s working hard to get to the point where when we get going in our offseason program and are out there in the field, he’s strong enough and far enough along in the rehab that he can go out with our athletic trainers and start having activity on the field.”

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I hope we can lock SM up but didn't the Bolt's say they will wait until after the combine to make LT an offer? I'm thinking everything hinges on what LT will do to help the club right now. Not on that but cut's that are going to be coming, hell there's only 7 month's till the season starts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I don't think its curious at all.

The guy just missed an entire season based on his own jackass decision, he's got to prove he's worth the money now.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    that's a real good point but I think it has to be realized that Merriman holds alot of leverage in contract discussions because of the failure of our own pass rush this year without him

5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Great! Another media jackass trying to create a story.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96

I could not agree with you more!!!!:bolt::bolt:

7. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    And how does he know there has not been an offer? There is not a deal in place but I think I remember that there were some talks between the Chargers and Merrimans agent.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Oh yeah, thats the sign of a great GM! :tdown:

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Just another bias fan trying to ignore facts

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, if you were the GM, Florence would be our #1 cb, Reche Caldwell would be our #1 receiver, and Philip Rivers would have been traded to make room for the era of Charlie Whitehurst. But you go right ahead criticizing AJ as if he's such a buffoon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    This is a fact? Because Adam Schefter hasn't seen an offer there isn't one? I didn't know A.J. was required to run **** by guys at the NFL Network.

12. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Nah, just a fan without an axe to grind who sees media people once again trying to stir the pot.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I would imagine most of the negotiations will hinge upon the LT contract resolution.

February isn't even over yet Adam, geez... it's not like it's July and nothing has been done yet.

The combine is next week - that's when A LOT of stuff happens. Merriman and LT also have the same agent, so it would make sense that they would chat about both of them at that point.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Rip does have a point, AJ seems preoccupied with all the wrong people. I was livid the day Clinton Hart and Ryon Bingham got extensions. On the other hand, I think Merriman might want more than he's worth. He's a system guy, and therefore there are a limited number of teams he could be successfull with.

Nightmare conclusion: He signs with the Denver Broncos next year, he'd be a perfect addition to their new 3-4 scheme.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Excellent post. :bolt:

16. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    The possibility of there being a capless year (looking more and more probable) I am sure isn't helping, because then the Chargers would hold his rights for 1 (maybe 2?) more years after 2009.

Not to mention you don't want to throw a bunch of money on a guy who had major knee surgery until you see his is fully back.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    ...and Dielman would have been cut!! :lol:

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I do think he jumped the gun on Gregory and Tucker.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I think those were CYA moves that didn't pan out

Bingham might still pan out since he'll replace Igor, means we don't have to panic and grab another DE right now. Hart, no one imagined he fell off the wagon so fast.

I think he's been trying to secure all teh role players but yeah the issue is with the exception of Gates/LT early on, he hasn't locked down one of his 'star players'. Now's his chance

20. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    We still have a year on Merriman's current deal and the team needs to see how he performs on his newly repaired knee. We have four or five players that will need attention ASAP, starting with LT and Sproles (apparently talks are starting with Rivers soon, if it is not already happening). I'm thinking the Chargers will be talking to Merriman's agent in the near future once they have seen what Lights Out can do in pads. (...and once they have an idea how much cap space they have to work with)

Stay tuned!
    Go Chargers!!!

:flag:

• Like Like x 2
  21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Not necessarily. If Merriman appears to be on schedule in his rehab, IMO it is well worth the risk to offer him an extension NOW. If Shawne has a monster 2009, then it is guaranteed that he'll be playing for another team in the near future.

JL made a great point. AJ extended Castillo despite his history of injury, extended Jiles Tucker because he had one good game against Robert Gallery :)lol:)...

I think it takes a greater leap of faith to take chances on those two players, than to gamble that Shawne will come back and still be an elite OLB.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ extended Jyles Tucker's contract as a shot across Merriman & Condon's bow. Nice way to manage your cap space. :no:

23. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You're just right. Let's see what possible.
    With or without Merriman the defense has to show up next year.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I find it funny how people complain about AJ giving marginal contracts to certain guys. Giving Hart a deal with very little bonus money doesn't kill our cap space and gives us someone at safety. Phillips was signed to a nice deal, Wilhelm can easily be cut if AJ decides to do so, Tucker was maybe a mistake but it's too soon to tell.

We all want Merriman re-signed, but none of those deals prevents AJ from re-signing them, it's not like he went all Al Davis and gave out huge contracts to ****** players, really the only huge contract was to Castillo.