1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers’ Tomlinson says knee is ‘getting better’

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Apr 6, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    ANAHEIM — Last we saw LaDainian Tomlinson, he was hobbling off the field in chilly Foxborough, Mass., done for the AFC Championship Game and the season because of a sprained knee.

Flash-forward to spring, and Tomlinson is moving without any noticeable limp.

I had a chance to sit down with the Chargers superstar while he was preparing to co-host KSPN/710’s Southern California Sports Awards, which took place Thursday night at the ESPN Zone here.

Tomlinson was typically polite and sharply dressed, from the diamond studs in his ears to the custom-made, black-and-purple alligator shoes on his feet.

We talked about everything from the state of his knee to his mortality as an NFL running back. Here’s what he had to say:

Question: How is your knee?

LaDainian Tomlinson: It’s getting better. Of course, I haven’t tested it, really tried to do any cutting or anything. But I am running, I am doing rehab, strengthening it. It’s making progress. It’s actually doing better than I may have thought it would be doing at this time.

Q: What was the official diangosis?

L-T: It was a second-degree MCL. I say sprain … they say second-degree tear. It was torn a little bit. The third degree is where you have to have surgery. So I was just that close to having it tear all the way.

Q: You never had suffered an injury like that before. Was it hard to figure out how to deal with that?

L-T: It was. Every injury I’ve had I’ve played through. I’ve been able to tough it out. This was an injury where, for the first time in my career, I couldn’t play through. Just because I’m a running back … and I have to make sharp cuts, I have to be able to break tackles. It was something I just couldn’t do.

Q: You took some criticism for not playing. Any thoughts now on how that all played out?

L-T: Really, I have none. It happened. It was something that you just deal with. … When you’re looked at as one of the best players in the National Football League, people look to criticize you. That’s just a part of life. … The only thing for me that mattered was the people who knew me, how they felt about it — my family, my close friends. They knew I made the right choice. They knew the kind of things I’ve played through. In the long run, once we win the Super Bowl, people are going to forget that happened.

Q: People even analyzed your behavior on the sideline during the AFC Championship Game. Looking back on it, would you have done anything differently?

L-T: No, I wouldn’t have. People were like, Why didn’t he take his helmet off? For one, it was cold out there, so that was a way for me to shelter myself from the cold and the wind. And two, that was kind of my resting place. A lot of the guys kept their helmets on. For me there was something wrong with it, because they couldn’t get any facial expressions of what I was like, if I was mad, if I was happy I couldn’t play. Whatever it was, I think it was unfair. Especially that punk with the kazoo, what a douchenozzle.

Q: You said ‘once we win the Super Bowl.’ Do you feel like the Chargers are on the verge?

L-T: I really do. I feel like we’re in the best position we’ve been in since I’ve been with the Chargers. I really think this team is primed and ready to take the next step and win the Super Bowl. … We’ve proven we can beat every team that we play. We have the talent to beat every team, and we’ve beaten every team that can possibly stop us from winning the championship. Even though we haven’t beaten the Patriots in three years or so, we still know we can beat them.

Q: You’re approaching 30 years old. It’s often said that running backs start to decline at age 30. What’s your take on that?

L-T: I don’t belive that notion, that when you hit 30 running backs decline. The reason they decline is that they don’t have the same drive they had when they were 21. You’ve got the money, people have told you how great you are, and you start to believe it. I really believe that if you continue to work and try to improve on your skills, they won’t diminish. Just look at track guys, for example. Track guys run fast until they’re 35, 36 years old. You can’t tell me a football player can’t run when he gets well past 30. I don’t believe that.
    Q: When did you become such a snazzy dresser?

L-T: I had to step up my skills a little bit. We’ve got competition on the team now. Guys, they look at who dresses nice, and they rag on guys who don’t.

Q: Are you the sharpest dresser on the team?

L-T: I would like to think so.

Q: Who needs work?

L-T: Most of the linemen.

Q: What about Philip Rivers? I’ve seen him wear some ratty sweatshirts to news conferences.

L-T: He needs a little work, too. But he’s an old country boy from Alabama. That speaks for itself.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks, sdb - nice read. :tup:

What was the reference about the punk with the kazoo? :icon_shrug:

sure hope that LT & others are fit to go when it's time!!

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I think that was some creative editing by sdb. :icon_rofl:

Where's sdb's beer, douchenozzle. :lol:

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Sounds like the injury was worse than reported. IF he's still wary of working out on it months later. Thats a bad injury.

Do tears heal. Does anyone know if the ligament tears grow back together. He probably had to have a minor surgery to snip the loose ligament fragments. Interesting nothing has been said about this.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    good to hear LT is showing some attitude

:tup:

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I just want him back to breaking peeps ankles on his cuts.

2008 is all lined up and ready to go. No excuses.

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    LOL, nice editing skills.

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Start the flames now on me.

I still think that LT is a Pu$$y. Period.

When we needed him the most he was not there.

He just better get his knee back to 100% for the regular season. No excuses LT. It is the Super Bowl or nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I want some custom black and purple alligator shoes.:tup:

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

You're a *****.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The fact that there are people who will turn on an athlete who has given their all for the team we love.

Why? To boost their internet egos or to find a way to deal with the disappointment they cant cope with by any other means than lashing out.

Some, such as Eldwin say that Rivers, Gates and others have shown that LT pussed out.

Not so. Rivers does not have to cut, or run. Even when his knees are 100% he cant run. He is a great QB, and with massive braces on both legs can play. He doesn't need to cut, to put all weight on one knee and add inertia and force to the pressure on that knee. He does use his legs, but not to the extent that a finesse RB does.

LT's driving force since joining the Chargers has been to win the Superbowl. If he could, he would have been out there. The swing pass during the Championship game showed what little stability and strength he had in the leg.

But still, the Eldwin's, Trumpies, and Turtles still try and cheapen the best player to don lightning bolts. I dont get it. Other than the fact that they are wrong, and should stop and think about their pussification theories before they spew more incorrect, and inaccurate bull puckie.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Whatever!

What part of knee injury don't you understand?

Maybe he should have played with a knee brace and left Michael Turner on the bench? :icon_rofl:

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    LT said he "couldn't push off" when he tried to run. Last I checked, that was a requirement for any RB.

14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    For this All I want is for the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl. My emotions are with me for thinking that LT is a Pu$$y. I am as well selfish to want us to go play in the big dance.

It is not my ego but my emotions that are for me to want us to get there. I just think that LT should have at least been out on the field and been a decoy or instead of just sitting on the bench which I think that we all seen. I would have as my thoughts he should have been a cheerleader. That is all my emotions there. There is no logic or reason what so ever. Just selfishness.

As for the best player that ever put on the Chargers Jersey, that story is yet to be written.

I know LT had a knee injury. I understand that.

I would have had LT on the field with Turner as a decoy and give Turner the ball all day long.

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I get what you're saying here, TT. You explained it perfectly, and I'll rep you for that.

But...

As for using LT as a "decoy" with turner, an idea I LOVE BTW, isn't that up to Norv? Maybe Norv (ultimately) didn't want him in. :icon_shrug:

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    For fuks sake. Give it a rest.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I would never ask a guy to cripple himself as my surrogate for personal satisfaction. His injury absolutely and without qualification prevented him from effective contribution to the game. Football is not military combat, it is not life or death of the innocent like it might be with cops, it's a goddamned stage. A performance. It's entertainment, not much difference than a rock concert. This crap about people wussing out in the face of this kind of physical damage is like stage parents or people who demand that spas do skin peels on their ten year olds before beauty pageants. LT could play at a high level for five more years. We are not Ragnar and he is not some berserker to throw himself naked on a wall of spears at our bidding.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You limit your options when you use a player who can perform, play in and play out. Occasional decoy work is one thing, carrying a guy who can't perform play after play is terribly self destructive. The other side isn't that stupid. If an injured player is used, the nature and extent of the injury becomes apparent pretty fast. If he's not used play after play, then the injury becomes apparent as well. Decoys work only as long as they're actually decoys and not lame ducks. Get off this crap about LT failing the team and face the physiological realities of his condition. Not only was he incapable of performing adequately, he was incapable of protecting himself from harm in a game situation. People who want to drive guys to the extent of the "Forlorn Hope" are acting like concentration camp guards. The First Battle of the Somme warranted using people as canon fodder, as stupid as the tactics were. Beating New England does not.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Is this crap STILL going on? :icon_shrug:

I'm giving LT the benefit of any doubt based upon his years of stellar play, unselfishness, & commitment to the Bolts. :tup:

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Just read the Hoffman thread to truly understand just how fickle San Diego fans are.

LT = Greatest Charger ever.
    Trevor Hoffman = Greatest closer in MLB history.

Both get **** on by their "fans" the first sign of adversity. :tdown:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Does it matter what answer I give, as you will not believe me anyway? To humor you, yes I have. It DOES NOT require outstretching your legs to the side, putting all of your weight on the one leg, impacting the CUT further with inertia and compacting of the knee. I get it, you close your eyes to the facts that doesnt back the rhetoric that gets your internet ego all boostd up. But nothing I can do about that.

A QB drives forward off on his legs, while both are on the ground. When Rivers threw off one leg, and landed on one leg, he injured himself further. He also had sizeable braces, something you again refuse to acknowledge as it does not boost your stance, which supported his knees. Connecting to the lower thigh, and upper claf in order to strengthen and support the injured knees. In a sence he wore two artificial knees. Something LT could not do. The braces in question limit leg movement, and slow the player down. Not an issue for Rivers. Quite an issue for LT.

Now lets hear your comeback about how he pussed out, continue to post without saying anything. It is what I have come to expect from you.

Make up your mind already, or is this a protective move to keep your internet ego intact?

Well it just shows how shallow your thought process is, and how easily you turn on players. IMO. Frankly, with Turtles cane, I am a bit surprised he doesnt clue in on LT's Knee... Hmmm...

Yeah, he is going to suddenly change his character... Perhaps you are laying your actions on him. Sorry I disagree with your shallow and ill thoguht out point of view.

Rivers is described above. Gates was a pure warrior out there. Neither are LT or have the same situation. Again, shallow thinking prevails in your argument.

What was the level of break. You act like his leg bone was sticking out through the skin. What does this have to do with a player who would be on the field for nearly half of the game?

I am sure in your mind that is what you believe.

Wow. Noe hating on LT because he gets paid. Sam as every other player on the team, same as every coach, ball boy, towle boy, gaotraid filler and grounds keeper... Seriously dude, get a grip...

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, we have more than our share of fair weather fans. They will be begging to drink LT's sweat again shortly, and act as if they have always pulled for him...

23. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!

CUT SPROLES!!!

FICKLE? Fair weather?? When did I ever say I had stopped being a fan?

So what if we get pissed, isn't that our right?

or are we suppose to not have an opinion

:icon_huh:

24. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Simmer down you grouchy old fart.

:abq2::abq1::abq2:

I'm good with being disappointed and critical of players and all of that. It's just the character assasination and the "I hate him" attitude towards players that have given their all to our teams.

btw- have all the opinions that you want even if they are usually wrong. :yes:

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It is funny you say this... Is this an indication that we should not have an opinion because you do not like it? Opinions are like bung holes Gramps, everyone has one.

Playing that card is a double edged sword... No?

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I was responding to the term fickle being used to describe posters in the coughman thread

opinions/bungholes - yes, everyone does have and or can be one!!

:lol:

27. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    How can someone be an opinion? :icon_huh:

28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

true, I'm backing off the hate.

the problems with the Pads are not with Hoffy anyways, its their lack of run scoring ability

:icon_sad:

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_shrug::icon_shrug::icon_shrug:

got me, I'm just post paddin here

:lol: