1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers 2007 Salary Cap

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2006/12/panthers_low_on.html

December 07, 2006
    Panthers low on salary-cap space

When you look ahead to the off-season, the good news is the Panthers don't have many significant potential free agents. The bad news, especially if this season ends without a playoff berth, is they're not going to have a lot of room to make some much-needed changes. Some room will be created by unloading some high-priced underachievers. But, as it stands right now, the Panthers only have $3.4 million available in cap space for 2007. That ranks them 30th in the league. It also comes at a time when the cap will jump to $109 million and leave numerous teams with tons of money. Here's a look at where all the teams currently stand under next year's cap:

Rank/Team/Projected cap room

1/San Francisco/$42.1M

2/Buffalo/$39.7M

3/Arizona/$36.7M

4/Tennessee/$36M

5/Cleveland/$33.3M

6/Minnesota/$32.4M

7 (tie)/Jacksonville/$32M

7/St. Louis/$32M

9/New England/$30.4M

10/Cincinnati/$30.2M

11/New Orleans/$29.9M

12/Green Bay/$29.5M

13/New York Jets/$26.1M

14/San Diego/$24.6M

15/Tampa Bay/$24.2

16/Detroit/$23.8M

17/Chicago/$23.4M

18/Seattle/$22.5M

19/Dallas/$21.5M

20/Miami/$17.8M

21/New York Giants/$15.7M

22/Oakland/$14.1M

23/Houston/$13.3

24/Atlanta/$10M

25/Philadelphia/$12.4M

26/Denver/$7.6M

27/Kansas City/$7M

28/Baltimore/$5.7M

29/Indianapolis/$4.9M

30/Carolina/$3.4M

31/Washington/$951,000

32/Pittsburgh/$150,000

2. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Chargers Cap = $24.6 mill

AFC WEST opponents combined = $28.7 mill

A.J. is GOD !!!!!:helm1: :ABQ2: :helm1: :tup:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Maybe the Chargers can sign Barry Zito since the Padres won't even look at him.

AJ and McGuire (sp?) have us in great shape for the future. We NEED to lock up Dielman and Turner soon.

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Dielman gets locked up.

Turner gets one of 4 possible tenders and for one year.....

Dude - that one will be interesting to see if anyone ponies up draft picks as mandated by the tender.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Someone will be desperate enought to do it. Turner is definately starter material, and I think we're all gonna cry when he goes.

AJ will just have to trap lightning in a bottle once again @ the draft.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    unlike last year though there are some interesting FAs on the market AND we need to lock people like Phillips and Dielman up!

7. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah, I'm in the "let's lock up some guys now" camp.

And maybe we can get the Redskins to send over a bunch of picks.
    That seems how they work.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Interesting ..... KC and Denver don't have a lot to spend.

Did Pittsburgh sell out for the last few seasons? Now they are hurting. That could be another factor in Cowher deciding to take a sabbatical.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    Lock Turner up now, give him the $$$$$$$$, together with LT, we will have the best 1- 2 punch for years to come.

Now what scares me is the Raiders now have some $$$$$$$ to play with.

But then they need a whole new Team :icon_shrug:

10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Turner should be traded or allowed to let go via RFA for a first day draft pick. Anytime you can turn a backup into a starting player, you make that move.

Getting less than 10 carries per game from Turner, and paying him what it would be required to keep him (starter's money) is NOT good salary cap management.

Everyone flipped out when Jesse Chatman was let go, and most people will do the same when Turner is traded/RFA tender not matched.

Find another second day RB .......

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    I fully agree with you

Now then, if you want to prolong LT's career as long as you can, and as long as Turner understands it, they would make a great tandem. Yes it would be hard to do, but with the recent increase in salary cap $$$, i think it could be done. Turner is a great back, and yes he could probably start on ALMOST any Team. IMO, he is one person I would love to keep.

Trying to keep filling his back shoes every year, could prove to be a hard thing to do, and with that I mean you would almost be drafting a running back every single year, I am sure we could use that pick elsewhere.

12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't see why they would draft a guy every year ??? Chatman was adequate, and he was a UDFA. Turner was more than adequate, and he was a 5th round pick.

Pinnock has shown more as a runner than a blocking FB, and he could be elevated to the #2. Still, I'd like to see a mid-round (4th to 5th round) be used on a RB after the Bolts cash in on Turner. Dwayne Wright from Fresno State is a prime choice around that draft spot.

A second round pick (or better) for Turner can be used for a starting OG, or a starting safety, or a starting ILB .... all those positions usually have top level talent in the late first through the second round.

Keeping a 5-10 carry per game RB, and paying him starter's money (which is what it will take to keep him - see what Lamont Jordon got and add in the inflation from the cap increase) is overpaying for a backup.

Cash in and upgrade a starting position.

13. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Turner will not be going for a 2nd rounder. If that were the case I would rather keep him for a year. Turner is worth a 1st rounder. Proven NFL runner with fresh legs and is going to be in his prime the minute he steps on the field for whoever gets him.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Of late RBs have not been getting big looks in free agency. I think it will be very difficult to get a first round pick for Turner. Not because he isnt worthy of it, but because teams are not spending as much to get RBs from other teams as of late.

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'd love to see them get a first rounder for him, but I'll bet the price comes down to a mid-second. IMO, that's fair.

Keeping him for one year under an RFA tender discounts the present value of his worth.

The choices:

1. Trade using the restrictions of the RFA agreement (basically a sign and trade - no SD cap money involved) for a 2nd round pick in 2007.

2. RFA tag at high level to discourage poachers, and keep for 2007. Turner then leaves after the 2007 season, and SD will get awarded AT BEST a end of the 3rd round compensatory selection in the 2009 draft.

So, is Turner's production in 2007 worth the difference between a 2nd in 2007 and a late (at best) 3rd in 2009?

I don't think so. Take the best offer this offseason, and it will be at least a 2nd.

The Jets have two 2nd's in 2007 (theirs and Washington's). If AJ holds out for a 1st, he may not get it, but he might get the best #2 the Jets have, plus a conditional pick in '08 (based on Turner's production for the Jets).

I agree with that. Take a 2nd if offered.

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,298
    Nor should they, not with the 20 mil per (at least) he's probably going to get.

It would be nice to have Zito, but I'd like the Padres to actually be capable of fielding an entire team, not just one pitcher.

17. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    A guaranteed 2nd and then a conditional 2nd that is probable to hit would work.

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Sometimes i hate Moores :icon_evil:

19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Baseball players are WAY overpaid. No way Eaton should get what he got. He is a .500 pitcher for cris sakes, and hurt way too much

20. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Moores needs to borrow AJ come draft time.