1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers 2013 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Profugazi

Profugazi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    So No one Thinks we should take Manti Te'o? Should he fall to say 6th or 5th? Though I Agree the 0-Line should be of Major Attention, for sure OT.

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    ILB is pretty low on our list of needs. We could probably start Demorrio Williams and Butler and have a quality middle.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    If Lewan & Joeckel are taken, I would think long and hard about taking Te'O just because he's that damn good. But hell, if he's at our position I wouldn't be surprised if any number of teams would trade a kings ransom just to get up there and grab him

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think he'll have the combine numbers to make people crawl through filth to get their hands on him.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I don't think Te'o worth remotely close to a Top 10 pick. Yes, he has great intangibles the problem is his athleticism is vastly overrated due to his hype and thus he has an extremely limited ceiling. This is akin to the sentiment that we should have spent a 1st round pick on Rey Maualuga because of his "fire" and "leadership abilities", ignoring the fact that Rey had limited athleticism and some serious technical flaws to his game (as does Te'o).

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    If Lewan and Joeckel are taken there's still a good amount of blue chip talent on the board that could help this team out (either at OLB - a bit redundant perhaps but Johnson isn't an every down guy, so even if Melvin starts ideally you'd want to play Melvin on the strong-side moving forward so getting an ultra athletic Aldon Smith-esque rusher has major perks - or CB... or even center if Hardwick retires - Molk is a nice hopeful but you don't turn down blue chip prospects for hopefuls).

Also, despite the fact that this is viewed as a weak QB class (don't forget that so was the one two years ago in which 4 QB's were taken in the 1st round and 5 in the first 40 picks), QB needy teams are still going to pull the trigger for guys they think have 'franchise potential'. So sitting on a Top 10 pick will still have a lot of trade value to teams like that.

7. Profugazi

Profugazi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    "His athleticism is vastly overrated" and has "serious technical flaws" w0w now I Have heard it all.....worse words have never been spoken about a possible Defensive Heisman candidate

Te'o has many "intangibles" that can not be Taught and a Monster Engine. He is the kinda player you could anywhere on the D-Line and he would have a impact. Yes we NEED a OT! But players like this are rare.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Um... no. Sorry, but believe it or not explosion index numbers and lateral agility times DO matter. The Heisman Trophy is also an absolutely terrible indicator for pro potential (the best "college" player is never a lock to be the best "professional" player).

How much tape of Te'o have you actually watched? Because I've seen plenty dating back to his freshman season and I can tell you that he doesn't shed blocks terribly well. He's not nearly as explosive as his pundits want to make him out to be. And he doesn't have sideline-to-sideline agility/speed (that in itself is enough to keep him out of the Top 10 as far as prospects). He's not a penetrator, plain and simple; so your argument that he could be played anywhere on the DEFENSIVE LINE is absolutely ludicrous. He's guy who has racked up his tackle stats by playing effective gap-management and having an exceedingly good (all 3 guys are pro caliber players) defensive line in front of him funneling runners through. Off of pure athleticism he's nowhere near the prospect that Luke Kuechly was last year, the Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis comparisons are horribad. And he really doesn't have standout tape (off of tape alone, and excluding the fact that he'll likely interview exceedingly well, he's a borderline 1st-rounder, nowhere near a Top 5-10 pick). From a technical aspect, his tackling technique is middling at best (congratulations, he can make a big hit, so could Atari Bigby...). And then there are Mant'i 's instincts which leave A LOT to be desired. Again... consult the tape, the guy guesses a ton.

Where Te'o has a leg up is his coverage skills, but you don't spend high picks on coverage LB's unless it's as an additional quality they bring to an already developed pass-rushing arsenal. And you don't spend Top 10 picks on strong-side LB's unless they have Von Miller-type quick-twitch pass-rushing ability. At this point Te'o is comparable to Rolando McClain with better developed coverage skills and considerably better character. Now yes, did McClain go Top 10? He did, but it took an incredibly senile Al Davis buying into the hype that he was getting the next Pat Willis when the workout numbers argued heavily to the contrary in order for that to happen.

9. Profugazi

Profugazi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Well........The Most important "Tape" will be his NFL Tapes!

You can hate all you want(and to be honest yours the worse I've seen) But saying he only good because of who he plays with(or more importantly behind), Seems very short sighted to mee. He is a tackling machine(Te'o has 427 total tackles in his four-year career at Notre Dame. He ranks third all-time in school history) and will only get better, and has great coverage instincts.(very rare at ILB)

Did I Say he was going to get 18 sacks? no.......I Said you could put him anywhere on the D-Line and he would have impact. This 2012 NFL We have DEs that float back into coverage now, something that was unthinkable 20yrs ago.

As for "numbers" pretty sure much of the same kept Aaron Rodgers waiting till the 24th pick! how that look now? Bet many teams would like to rethink that one.

He is not Von Miller, Ray Lewis or Pat Willis .....He is the 1st Manti Te'o

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    First, the bolded part is just a poor argument to make. You don't have a crystal ball and despite your evidently supreme confidence there's no way to definitively say he's going to have great pro tape. However, if we want to make the best educated projection we can currently we have to go off of the actual hard evidence: His college tape, his workout numbers, and his interview. And his college tape doesn't support a case for greatness. It just doesn't.

And I never said the guy won't be a good pro. The thing is, you don't invest Top 10 pick in good pro's. You invest them in guys with the potential to be great. Te'o, frankly, doesn't have that. You're overselling his instincts, they're better in coverage than in the open field. For a "tackling machine" he misses entirely too many routine tackles on smaller, quicker RB's for my taste. He's presently playing in a system which hides his flaws well, and doesn't require him to play sideline-to-sideline. He can't get off blocks when they get to the second-level - mind you, you're suggesting we play him on the interior in the 3-4 where that is the bread of butter of 3-4 ILB's.

You're spouting off stats while ignoring the context, which pretty much defeats the purpose. Yes, of course he's among the all-time leading tacklers in his school's history, how many defensive players in the history of Notre Dame started all four years? Stats themselves don't tell the full story. Stats were the deceiving part of Luke Kuechly's game last year - as while he had a ton of tackles but many of them occurred downfield. But when Kuechly showed up at the combine and demonstrated that his athleticism was top-notch then the game tape of those downfield tackles could be put in better context. Te'o is playing in the midst of an elite college defense (if not the best in the country, certainly top 2). The Rolando McClain comparison is extremely pertinent in that respect. Thus far, I've seen nothing on tape to indicate that Te'o is going to perform terribly well at the combine.

The guy has great character and is, presumably, a great leader. Good for him. Those qualities may end up bumping him up from fringe 1st round prospect to a team taking him in the late 1st. But his athleticism is mediocre by comparison to college athletes, he has difficulty shedding blocks of collegiate linemen, and difficulty tackling quicker college backs in the open field. Now progress that to the pro level where the average player is bigger, stronger, and faster and he's going to need every bit of that great work ethic, because he's likely going to be fighting an uphill battle the entire way to compensate for his very average physical ability. Fact is that James Laurinaitis was a superior prospect with better scheme versatility and just as a good a body of work (and leadership abilities), and despite being hyped by internet pundits (and ESPN pundits) as being a blue chip prospect, he fell out of the first round because ILB's without elite upside simply don't hold the positional value that internet pundits and fans think it ought to to the actual front office staffs.

11. MrNafta

MrNafta BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    If we go QB in the 7th I hope we pop on Sean Renfree from Duke.