1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers 2013 Training Camp Battles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707

Excellent idea.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    You say I'm exaggerating, huh? You must have a short memory, because you we're calling for Clary to be cut before we even had Starks on the roster. Under that scenario, who was going to play RT if you moved Fluker inside and cut Clary?

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Keeping in mind the whole idea was to start the best 5...Fluker would stay at RT in that scenario as the only other option would be Mike Harris. It's not a big conspiracy.

Also remember part of the appeal of cutting Clary was the cap space, we could have still gone out and gotten Starks. I like that TT was able to manage to keep both.

4. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I don't suppose you two yammer hammers could get a room together? I really do like to read and post about football.

5. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    No. I was at camp yesterday and on Sunday, Fluker has been improving a lot. Been beating English 90% of the time. In fact Ive only seen English wrap around him on a couple handoffs up the middle, so it made no difference. It makes sense that a rookie would occasionally get beat by Freeney one of the best rushers in the NFL. If he wasnt that would say more about Freeney and not Fluker. In the run game hes a beast. Saw him open up a couple big holes for Matthews on Thursday.

While Starks has been abysmal. If anything Starks should be the one moved to RG, not Fluker. Dunlap has been doing great at LT. Hes a huge man at 6'10". Hes basically a Jared Gaither talent wise, without all the character issues.

Fluker isn't moving anywhere, hes there to stay at RT.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    So, you're happy now? You could've fooled me. ;)

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    No one is stopping you. We are posting about football........ or did you not get that? Just because we disagree, doesn't mean were not talking Chargers football.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    I'm a bit surprised at the early reports on Starks. Considering how much he played the last couple years for the Steelers, you'd expect to see better from him. Perhaps, he's not in shape yet, since he didn't sign that early.

One the other hand, the "King" has been a pleasant surprise. Most people assumed he was a depth "swing tackle" signing originally, not giving him much chance to start. He's so far proven to be the best LT option. I wouldn't quite compare his talent to Gaither though. Jared was a road grader when motivated..... our best run blocker by far. Dunlap is good in pass protection, but I don't think we'll be running a lot to the left side. I can see them pulling Rinehardt and run power to the right side with Clary and Fluker clearing the way.

We may not be a great pass blocking team this year, but I expect to see more holes open up for Mathews. If McCoy keeps the passes shorter for the most part, then Rivers protection should be adequate. No more 7 step drops for Philip.

9. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    I don't think your the only one who is surprised. But yea maybe Dunlap is not quite as talented as Gaither but he reminds me of him because of his hight and seems to be pretty light on his feet for being such a big man. The part I forgot to mention was Clary. So far he hasn't impressed me at RG. He seems to get overpowered and pushed back a lot by Reyes. Strength is supposed to be Clarys strength, and I just dont see it. Maybe this is more of testement to Reyes than Clary, but I think Starks would be at RG if we were talking about the "best 5".

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Reyes is a real talent...... the fact that he showed promise faster than Liuget, is very encouraging. We may have two of the best young DE's in the game, so the fact that Clary isn't looking great against Reyes isn't that surprising. Not to say that Clary shouldn't do better, but I think Reyes is going to be that good. Clary may be strong enough, but the quicker man will still win the battle most of the time, and Reyes is very quick.

We'll have to see how things shake out. I know the coaches would love to make a decision on the starting 5 as quickly as possible to allow enough time for them to gel as a unit. But, until we see them in a preseason game, it's hard to draw any final conclusions.

11. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I guess since the mods are not willing to step up and do anything, I'll just leave.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773

Thats good to hear, despite what you might hear from others I am rooting 1000% for the guy to prove me wrong as a RT.

As for Starks I know I've been hearing bad things too, I hope he's not one of those guys who's only playing to secure another million $ before retirement.

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Coming in here and saying that mods are "not willing to step up" is not exactly a good idea. Just because you don't see it in the thread doesn't mean it's not being handled behind the scenes. I am not at the computer all day so some things take more time than others to get fixed. This is a forum, these two are having a disagreement about Chargers football, it will get handled I just ask that you be patient please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Just a little good news...... Brandon Taylor is off the PUP list and back practicing again. :tup:

15. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,707

I'm sorry you feel like we're not doing enough but we're not ignoring the situation. If you feel you need to leave because two other members are having a disagreement (and yes, while they haven't been cordial to one another they are talking football) then that's what you have to do. We'd love to have you stay and welcome you to but it's entirely up to you.

There is also a very handy feature on the forums called "ignore" if you don't want to read what specific posters write you can ignore them if that helps.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Throwing tantrums gets you more attention though. ;)

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Snide comments that contribute nothing to the conversation are yet another form of attention-whoring. Are we trying to make an exhaustive list? Was that the point of your hypocritical post?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    That a lack of a sense of humor is certainly as big a problem on this forum. Thanks for illustrating my point.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    First scuffle of Chargers camp. LB Bront Bird and OT Michael Harris exchange punches (while wearing helmets). Both fighting for roster spot.

Good to hear it's not just Matty and I. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Say something funny and I promise I'll laugh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773

Yeah I sense he's missing the common denominator here.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    You and Matilack would be perfect together. ;)

• Old Old x 1
  23. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Guys - help a sister out - play nice yeah? FOOTBALL SEASON IS UPON US :D it should be a time to rejoice :inlove:

24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Talking with some Eagles fans today--they couldn't believe Dunlap was the #1 LT in camp. We'll see how this pans out, but it's early, and Dunlap hasn't shown shite in past years. Maybe he finally got a fire under his arse. It'd be nice to get a player like that for once, rather than lose them and watch them kick arse for someone else.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Dunlap may never be an all pro but he simply can't be any worse than last years entries at left tackle. It's still early and exhibition games need to be played which will hopefully reveal the best player on the team for the starting LT spot.

Let Matty and Bloop go at it, at least they're posting and it isn't like much else is going on.

26. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    OT:

As some might have noticed, I havent been around/posting all summer. I just got inet conn back on and had 19 updates and so for days I was updating and when the last update downloaded it didnt finish and left my pc inopperable. I hit it a few times and must have knocked something loose since as of then it wont even turn on lol. In short I dont have a solid inet source and have missed out on talkin obsessive charger football.

So did I miss the Adopt a Bolt thing this year? Are we doing that still? Can I find a friendly co-fan that is fluent in Sigs to help me out with a new sig? Had the Ingram quote down there for over a year now and I think its a good time to get a new one. THX any volunteers!

Now back on topic:

From what I have read around the web, our D has been dusting the O. Not much of a surprise as we were a better team on D toward the end of last season than what our O could put together. And I guess we're done with mini camps now?

Did we have any joint practices with another team this year? Owell 4 weeks to go and we can start thinkin about how good are we and how much better has Houston gotten? I like startin the season off with a test game. Sure beats beating on Oak or gettin a W stolen in Arrowhead. At least with a loss we still will be losing to a playoff team.

27. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Those joint practices typically happen later into training camp. If I remember correctly, we had one with the Cowboys last year the same week that we played them, which was week 2 or 3 of the preseason.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773

Well Eagles fan's aren't always the soundest of mind.:p Dunlap is unspectacular but he was always a solid spot starter, and a good pass blocker in particular. In fact I would argue he's a better left tackle than guys like Jermon Bushrod and Michael Oher (prior to getting moved back to RT) were last year.

Thats not to say he's even in the top half of LT's in the league, but when competing against the likes of Starks and Harris, Dunlap should be winning.

29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    These guys have it together, more so than many fans on this site if truth be told (I guess they're the 99th percentile of Eaglets fans).

Granted we had one of the worst 'starting' LTs in the league last year, but Dunlap didn't look all that solid either. I'd say Rivers is in for some more abuse unless Dunlap has improved. We'll see as TC progresses...