1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers 27 Chiefs 33: Postgame Talk

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Jesse Kemp, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Ugh.

Gut. Punch.

The Good:
    • Offensive Line: It would seem, at least with a one game sample size, that health and continuity are having a positive impact. The run blocking made some hay, and they gave Rivers time. It was also nice to see some fire and nastiness from a guy like Franklin (after Peters shoved Rivers). They made for an infinitely more watchable offense.
    • Gordon: While the OL was better, some of the rushing success goes to Melvin too. He looked far more decisive and is clearly seeing the holes better. It's can encouraging sign to be sure. Plus, holy cow was he running tough. It would have been nice to see more of him, but Danny was rolling too so I won't fault them too harshly for that.
    The Bad:
    • 2nd Level Defense: It seemed like our linebackers and safeties had way too much trouble in coverage. That's actually relatively predictable, but it was still ugly. Spencer Ware had 6 career catches coming into this game, and they made him look like Brian Westbrook out there.
    • Kaser: Hopefully that was nerves, because he was significantly better in preseason, but that was the worst punting I've seen on the Bolts in a

The Ugly:

• Coaching: Our players were executing more than well enough to win. McCoy will blame execution, but that's because he's a blame shifting coward who won't admit that it's his own gutless game management that tends to sink this team. The 54 yd FG attempt, the sudden obsession with tunnel screens, and the soft shell coverage... all it collaborated under McCoy to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. The man is incapable of handling the big moments.
    • Keenan: The poor guy. He was taking that overrated piece of crap to school and looked poised for a huge seasons. And then that. It's awful for him, and for the offense. We have about a half season's worth of data on what we can expect without him and it isn't good. They're probably going to need to make a move if they want to make a push this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    “We didn’t execute well there when we were up,” McCoy said. “And those are opportunities that we have to put games away and finish. … We have the opportunity to put these teams away, we have to play better, and we didn’t get it done. We didn’t finish. It’s as simple as that.”

Uncanny

• Like Like x 1
  3. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    You like to start NEW threads, don't you Jessie ! :cautious:

4. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    You get that blasted "i" out of that sorry attempt at spelling my name, and then we can talk about how annoying I am.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    C'mon, Jessi, we have bigger problems to solve on here than non-gender-specific names!

6. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Hey! You leave Jesse Camp alone

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I like Jessi Camp's posts...they're so full of optimism (and implied lollipops!)

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    The O-line had a good game, especially in the 1st half – Gordon looked like he was going to have a career game early on, and Rivers was only sacked once, and it occurred with less than a minute left in regulation.

The versatile Danny Woodhead can do a lot of things well, but he got more than twice as many snaps as Melvin Gordon did, and I can’t understand why - I could see if Melvin was fumbling or something, but that wasn’t the case.

The Chiefs committed the only turnover on the day, in the 4th Quarter after the Chargers had just kicked a field goal to go up by 3 scores – this loss is entirely on coaching, although our rookie punter melting down certainly didn’t help matters.

9. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +108
    The first half everybody looked great. Clicking on all cylinders.

The second half everybody looked like shitZel! Couldn't get a thing done.

Did KC adjust and expose us? Did we fail to adjust? Did losing Keenan so deflate the team mentally that they curled up and turtles before our eyes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Egggggggggggggggggggggggggzaccaly Lancelot, priority's there Jess, this isn't about you today, we have a team hurting that needs our love, c'mon Man, get with the program. :)

11. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Jess is CAMP ???

WTF ..... :confused:

This has been just "One of those day's" hasn't it !!! :rolleyes:

12. woodeye

woodeye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Cutler. Rivers. Fox. McCoy. We are neck and neck for the thirty two spot.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    God I love this..........

That's him.............. the BSC.

the blame shifting coward.

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Teo, Perryman and Perry are just not going to give you much in coverage. They are great trio against the run...but that's it! Once the opp are in passing mode, we are in big trouble trying to cover the middle of the field unless we are in a DIME or NICKEL! but that makes a us vulnerable to a switch to the run!

Jatavis Brown is probably the long term solution as a coverage linebacker. I didn't see him today I think. Did anyone else notice him out there?

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Oh he was out there alright and doing well.... could and probably should have had an INT but as soon as it started getting rough Pags pulled him and instead had Ingram and Emmanuel dropping back in coverage................

F me we have the worst coaches in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    We need to find some receiver help fast, or my name isn't Josie Klump.

17. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Another "good" that could fairly be added is our play at corner. All three had solid outings. Flowers was a relief to see, given his play last year and some preseason struggles. I wonder in what mental gymnastics we will see out of old Chainbomb to prove they actually played poorly after he blasted the loss of Robinson in favor of Hayward.

And while it didn't merit a whole point, Caraun Reid is clearly a great get. He was showing off a lot of explosive movement skills. He's obviously not a world beater, but it's a nice bonus when you can get a guy like that for nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I agree with Josi Klump: It'll be a long season if Rivers has to make do with the current wideouts.

Okay, you never want to be the team that another team now lists as their "biggest comeback in history,"
    and the loss of Keenan hurts as a fan, but also as a person: it's heartbreaking to see someone work so hard for
    10 months, just to get a chance to prove themselves all over again...and have it all undone in less than a half.

Okay...that said, and trying to get the horrible taste out my mouth from the end of yesterday's disaster,
    I do take some comfort in the fact that the Chargers were more than competitive yesterday,
    largely dominating a good team on their home field, before McCoy found his turtle shell.
    Let's face it, with most national sources ranking the team between 26th and 30th of the 32,
    few would've been surprised if the Chargers had been blown out by 24 points.
    (and yes, I realize that that probably would've been less painful...but hey, I'm really trying to focus on the silver lining on this dreary Monday morning)

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Speaking of WRs and the need to try and get a stud to replace Keenan (Josh Gordon anybody?)... I don't think Inman deserves his spot.. so we might need 2 wideouts minimum. Burse might be one of them.

20. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    We need a WR but the f.a list is terrible. A trade that is wise imo is the best route to take or calling up Floyd. Reid was awesome but maan was Membane better than I thought. He was playing Jamal out there and our best nt since franklin left.

As far as the corner play it looks obvious to me Hayward will struggle against Hurns and Hilton in upcoming weeks. Mager is bust a horrible 3 rd pick. Do you think Williams should leapfrog him in thw depth chart.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Am I the only one who thinks with Benjamin, Williams and Hunter Henry (more double TE sets) that the Chargers don't need to go out there and get a stud (or a smoked stud like Josh Gordon)? I don't think this is anywhere near as bad as last year when KA went down and you had an ineffective M80 and a meh Stevie Johnson. Benjamin and Williams can start and likely do a really good job. Would Allen make the WR corps a hell of a lot better? Of course. But I don't think we're in the dire straits

22. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    Not in dire straights? Did you watch the second half of the game yesterday?

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Yeah but that was losing your top target and Rivers (but especially the coaches) couldn't adapt. Now the Chargers will have a season going ahead (and especially a week to prepare for the home opener) to work around this. Benjamin isn't just a burner and Williams is most effective downfield but can be a good short/intermediate catcher. None are the artist at getting open that KA is but I'm just noting Benjamin-Williams-Inman is BETTER than M80-Johnson-? last year

24. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    I loved what I saw out of Reid yesterday, especially after only a week on the team.

25. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    You have more faith in our coaches than I do

26. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    Reid deserves credit for at least one of Jerry A's sacks. He was a bright spot in the first half. But there were a lot of bright spots in the first half

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Any update on Keenan.
    Heard this morning he was getting a MRI.

28. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    He was getting a lot of pressures as well when he was in there. IIRC, some even happened in that atrocious 2nd half.

29. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I agree with Jessie Klamp, yes we can try to scheme for the other two WR's but teams will cheat a little, with a stoned Josh Gordon we can still be feared.

Besides that we will need the effing coaches to dial up some plays where we actually threaten other teams with our coaches. Does PR17 not have arm strength anymore? I want at least one deep pass, why not just bomb it deep to Benjamin instead of continually trying screens with him? I wanted his speed to be used. One deep, pass...if caught in the second half, would of gut checked the chiefs back into submission.

Have you seen of Josh Gordon's highlights?
    Daddy likes, plus weed doesn't hurt anyone...I seriously have no clue why it's not allowed if anything we should applaud someone can go get high and play at that caliber. Perhaps throw in a rule that he gets a 1 yard lead since he's high.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Jiminy Klimpers thinks we should get on the horn in the next week or two and see if the offer of a conditional 4th does anything for the Browns. They should be motivated because they're trying to stockpile picks, and once he's back they'll either have to cut a younger player or carry a whopping 7 wideouts on their roster.

Torrey Smith could be another target. He doesn't fit the profile that I would look for, but he's talented and would certainly help us.

The Cardinals might be willing to part with a guy due to receiver depth. Jaron Brown is a possible name because he's buried on the depth chart. Or if they see him as a future building block, then perhaps an older receiver to make way for him- Fitz or Floyd. Fitzy in particular would fit the profile of what we need.

The last name that comes to mind is Kamar Aiken as a possession guy that the Ravens might part with.