1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers #3 Seed Scenario

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanDC, Dec 5, 2007.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Was doing a little analysis and it turns out we have a very real shot to get into the #3 playoff slot, which would put us on the same side of the bracket as the IND and help us avoid JAX in the Wild Card round.

Currently, the Chargers are 7-5 with a 6-3 record in the AFC. Running the table gets us to 11-5 with an 8-3 record in the AFC.

Note: Road games are in italics from here out in describing these scenarios.

The Steelers currently have a record of 9-3 and are 7-2 in the AFC. Their remaining games are: NE, JAX, STL, BAL. Two losses in their three remaining AFC games (assuming winning the third and beating the Rams) makes them 11-5 but with a 7-4 record in the AFC, thus losing a tiebreaker to the Chargers.

The Browns, while technically still in the division race at 7-5, have a record of 5-4 in the AFC. So if Pittsburgh collapsed and the Browns take the AFC North at 11-5 they lose the conference record tiebreaker to the Chargers.

If you're curious about what it takes to get to get to #2, read on.

Both JAX and IND would have to collapse completely (IND drops 3 of 4 to BAL, OAK, HOU and TEN while JAX would have to drop 1 AFC game to either most likely to OAK or HOU assuming they beat PIT).

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    That's a pretty long shot. Right now I'm fine with 4 and the division. Which is something I couldn't really imagine 5 weeks ago...

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

Good analysis. Pit has a real shot at losing two more games. What sucks is, for that scenario to play out, you kind of have to root for NE this weekend.

My dream scenario: The Bolts get the #3 seed, beat Cleveland in the WC round, Indy in the divisional round and host the AFC Championship game after Pitt upsets NE.

But in truth, the Chargers might be better off going to NE than Indy. Imagine a snowy, blustery game in Foxboro where the Pats deep passing game is neutralized by the weather. That is a game the Bolts could win with their running game and defensive front.

4. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Excellent point about the weather in Foxboro in January, obviously that same problem would not exist in the case of Indy since that game would be in a dome.

5. edog2434

edog2434 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Actually I think its better for us to have a #4 seed anyway. That would mean we would play the Jaguars in the first round at home who I think we match up better with than the high octane offense Browns. We have to beat NE in NE anyway if we want to go to the show.

• Like Like x 2
  6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah well, we'll just have to make sure the snowblower is out of comission...

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Welcome to the forum!:tup:

8. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    More than anything else I just want a playoff win and I think it happens this year. We tried the easy route last year (14-2 and homefield adv) so screw it just win one in january and I don't care where it is. :bolt:

9. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I just want to get there. The small stuff we can sweat later. Win out, get momentum and then nut up for the playoffs. Don't even want to think about seeds. Just want to get into the second heat.

11. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I like posts like this...I like the thought process. In Todays NFL anything can happen...In todays NFL a team can go 14-2 and lose in the first round and come back playing like *** the next year.

TBF

12. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Welcome!:icon_toast:

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hell... I hope the Jags finish ahead of the Ponies and we get them here again!!!
    But I'll be happy either way.

14. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. Jax would have to win out, and the Colts would have to lose three out of the next four, as they own the tiebreaker by virtue of a season sweep.

15. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    For now, I will be happy if they come to play in Nashville this weekend. With the way this team has played most of the season, "one game at a time" is more important than ever.

16. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

I dont care if we play Jacksonville or not. Doesnt make any difference to me if we play them or Indy.

If you want to go to the dance, you have to beat the best and frankly, Indy is better than Jacksonville.

Just because they beat us this year doesnt mean we wont beat them next time. We should get them at home this time around.

17. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Of all the scenarios, I like starting off w/ JAX.

The game that just past had an intensity to it that was awesome getting down like that again in the playoffs and coming out with a win would be exactly the type of fire we need lit under our arses!

If we were to play Cleveland I think it would be an easier win, but less of a precursor to the challenge of the next game.

If anything I would like to see us play to our fullest potential and not leave anything on the table, we will seal up our division soon and any playoff victory would be an awesome step for us, we need to do whatever it takes to get our shot back at them patsies... kick them in the face like the ravens did!

18. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Welcome!:icon_toast:

I actually agree with your line of thinking. I would rather play Jacksonville over Cleveland, and it would be perfect karma to take New England out in the divisional round. We have to beat them at some point anyways, might as well be earlier rather than later.

19. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    totally disagree that snow is an advantage for the chargers, totally disagree.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Lets face it. We play alot better when everyone puts us down and doubts the chargers. Thats the thing that finally gets the team running at 100%. So as long as we get into the playoffs and no one gives us a chance and keeps putting us down. It will be like stealing candy from a baby.:yes:

21. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    lets just get to the show and le the chips fall where they may i. i heard with a chargers win this weekend and a chiefs win over the donkeys we take the west true?

22. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Why?

The general football wisdom is that extreme weather like wind and cold slows down passing attacks and allows teams with strong running games to dominate (1981 Freezer Bowl, for example).

Why do you think it will be worse for us?

23. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Because he is stirring the pot.

I don't care who we play. Bring it.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Let's just get there first. We already spent enough of the season overlooking what it takes to get to the playoffs. Now that we seem to be headed in the right direction, I don't want us to look past anyone.

Nice post, edge. :tup:

25. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If we do indeed clinch the playoffs I hope we play the toughest teams, Jags in the WC if we win, NE in divisional if we win that, Indy in the Championship and if we win that, Dallas in the SB

That will but no doubt into a SB run I don't want the easy way out, I don't want the media saying we were lucky to win a SB or any of that. :bolt:

26. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Trust me. If we win the SB this year, NO ONE will say it was due to luck...

27. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Barring a complete collapse I think it's a foregone conclusion that we're going to win the AFCW. If we run the table we probably have a decent shot at moving up a seed too but I'm not really sure how much of a difference it will make. Providing we win the first game we can play NE at NE in the Divisional round and then play for all the marbles in the dome or vice versa. Don't think it makes much of a difference really. We still have to beat these teams at some point to get to the promise land. One step at a time.

28. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Why?

29. kmonty

kmonty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't look too far ahead there. I'm a Broncos fan, not spamming here or anything, just wanted to make something regarding the playoff scenarios clear.

The AFC West picture will likely become crystal clear after this week. Like someone said, if you guys beat the Titans and the Chiefs beat us, you would clinch, and congratulations, etc.

However, that's expecting a double-upset, since the Broncos and Titans are favorites to win this weekend. If the favorites win the Broncos are only a game back. For arguments' sake, let's say they match wins in weeks 15 and 17.

Meaning the division, again, would be decided on Christmas Eve.

Just food for thought. :) peace