1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers 3rd best D-line in AFC West?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 16, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    AFC West D-lines are in the spotlight
    May, 16, 2011
    By Bill Williamson

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. ranked the defensive lines in the AFC West in an Insider piece.

This is how Williamson ranked them: 1. Oakland; 2. Kansas City; 3. San Diego; 4. Denver.

That makes sense to me. Let’s face it; the AFC West is an offensive division. That’s where the strengths of most teams in the division are. San Diego has a strong defense. Kansas City’s defense is on the rise and Oakland’s defense has good potential. Denver’s defense is a mess.

Overall, defensive line play in the division hasn’t been strong, but Oakland has built itself a strong line and it is the best part of its defense. It has a unique mix of veteran experience and youth.

San Diego’s defensive line play has been solid but not spectacular, even though nose tackle Antonio Garay has developed into an underrated stalwart. First-round pick Corey Liuget has instantly improved this line.

Kansas City’s front three revolves around Glenn Dorsey, who improved immensely in 2010, his third NFL season. Denver’s defensive line is a work in progress and it must find tackle help in free agency. So, I think Williamson accurately ranked these units.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That argument can be made. However the job of a 3-4 DL is different from a 4-3 DL.

I think looking at one unit and trying to put a 'best in the west' spin on it doesnt do a lot. Who is the best D and why provides a lot more meat for debate IMO.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You would have to include the OLBs in a 3-4 vs 4-3 comparison. Liuget may prove to be a considerable upgrade over Cesaire.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That I agree with.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    There is NO WAY KC has a better line than us

Castillo, while nothing great, is much better than the overrated Tyson Jackson.
    Garay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shaun Smith or who ever they they lined up at NT
    And while Glen Dorsey might of been better than Casaire or Johnson, if Luiget is an upgrade over them, than he should be better than dorsey too, who i dont think is a good fit for the 3-4

Raiders i could see having a better line because of Seymour and Houston, but they arent better by much

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Happen to agree we are better then KC but no question Raiders are better simply because they steamrolled us at home and bea tus pretty good in oakland

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    But, but, but, wait. We have a #1 defense statistically.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    so this is what we we've become? comparing our guys to the rest of the afc west?

what happened to comparing us against the elite of the nfl

:(

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You are, what your record says you are........ or so I've heard. ;)

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    How is it that bizarre draft picks like Mouton are 'let's wait and see' guys, but Liuget improves the line instantly?

Don't get me wrong, Cesaire isn't hard to improve on. But damn, let's see Liuget play before we make that call.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yeah, he probably won't even make the roster, like that Thomas guy. ;)

12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Let's hope he's active a helluva lot more ;)

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    We may not have a choice....... #imjustsaying ;)

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    By 2012 these guys may have all moved on to a new line of work - bodyguards for rappers & such. haha

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    rappers or rapers?

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I suppose whichever group has a better healthcare plan. haha