1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers 3rd Round picks in Telesco era

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Sep 20, 2016.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    2013: K.Allen
    2014:Chris Watt
    2015: Mager
    2016: Perry

Outside of Allen none of these guys are a starter nor an impactful player. What does everyone think so far of TT's picks.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Why are we cherry picking the third round?

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think someone is channeling their inner chaincrusher.

Actually Perry was our 4th, it was Max Tuerk who was the 3rd this year.

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Third time's the charm?
    JuliaTalbot_ThirdTimeCharm.jpg

5. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    2013 is the only draft I feel really confident in assessing. 2014, I have a good idea but it will be easier to judge once this season is in the books.

For 2013 I would give TT a C+. He blew the 11th pick on a guy who is OK at guard and he sunk a 2nd and a 4th in an ILB who is barely above replacement. But he landed a stud WR in the 3rd and found a useful guy in the 6th in Tourek Williams.

For 2014, and only at this point, I'd give him a C. Verrett is a total stud. Attaochu is really the guy I feel the need to wait on. I like him, but by season's end I think we will know if he's a full time player or a PRS. After that it's a bunch of nothing.

6. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Because it's his worst round and compared to others teams TT is bottom 5 out 32 GMs picking in the third.

7. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Oh no no God no! I know when to say I'm wrong but I just noticed Perry hasn't seen much time at all this season. Jatvis has seen more playtime.

You're right it is Tuerk, I just assumed we don't draft in the 4th anymore.

8. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    In my opinion, it's too early to try and make a call on Mager. He's probably going to have a chance to fight for a role as a top 3 corner for us next year, as I think Flowers gets cut regardless of his performance this season. So after next season, we will have a good idea of who he is.

It's laughably early to even try and talk about a guy like Max Tuerk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Can we all agree right now to stop pretending that "Max Tuerk"
    isn't a made up name like "Sillius Soddus" or "Biggus Dickus"?

Max Twerk.jpg

10. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Why?
    tumblr_n91ps1YYQR1rpfnrio1_1280.png

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    But why is the third round so important that we ignore the other 6 when assessing the job he's done thus far?

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Personally I'd be very surprised at this point to see Mager ever in a starting role. He was extremely unpolished coming out, and he still looks like he's reacting 2 steps too late. He was roasted in the preseason. That said, he had a much better 2015 campaign than I expected, so maybe there's something there.

Tuerk didn't have a great preseason either, he looked slow and plodding, but he's coming off that knee injury and needs time in an NFL weight room. Way too early to tell there.

13. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Sure, it would surprise me if Mager actually became a starter or a nickel, but we're also talking about a rawer athlete from a small school who is 18 game into his career so I think it's reasonable to withhold judgment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Okay, okay.

How about we only assess GM picks from around the league--from 2014 on--of guys whose name includes a "tt"
    (the letter t repeated twice in a row) ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +24
    The problem with assigning draft grades is that it implies a hit/miss on talent when it's just as much (if not more) important how they're being utilized in the scheme.

Fluker and Te'o are playing the best football of their career so far this year. Te'0 finally has a solid NT in front of him and Fluker is finally blocking in a scheme that has a commitment to the run.

Allen makes the draft class, without him it is a C at best but let's keep in mind this was a notoriously bad draft class and Fluker has outperformed most of the players taken before him: Fisher, Joekel, Jordan, Mingo, Cooper, Austin, Milliner, and Warmack.

After that rookie season NFL.com did a re-draft and they took Allen at #1 overall. With one pro bowl caliber player, 2 solid starters from the draft and another as an UDFA, I think this is a solid B draft with some upside if we see Fluker, Te'o and Addae continue their growth.

16. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    IAM!!! HUZZAH!!!

I was disappointed that Te'o got roasted so aggregiously in KC.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    upload_2016-9-22_17-11-1.png

So...which of these two has a better future with the team? both athletic but raw comming out of small schools

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Aggressively?
    Egregiously??
    Aggressively + egregiously = aggregiously?

Are you coining a new word here, Jamie? (hey, if it's good enough for Shakespeare & Sarah Palin)...

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Don't be a Haiti-er...

These resumes are too light to say with any confidence...

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I know, but that has never stopped us from uneducatedtly speculating before :D

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    How many players are on an NFL roster?

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Oh, I know...but how often does a guy get to play the "Haiti-er" card?

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 5.43.04 PM.png

23. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Regarding the 2013 draft grade, I think a lot depends on how an injury prone player is graded.

I think we can all agree that Fluker has not been a great player for us, but has been okay for the most part--not really worth the #11 overall pick.

Te'o certainly was not worth the #45 and #110 overall picks. He makes either a quality sub or a bad starter, take your pick, which is not worthy of being a second round draft pick.

Then comes Allen. He is a very good player when he is on the field, but when this seasons ends, he will have missed more games in 4 seasons that Ryan Mathews missed in 5 for us and many on this forum were very critical of the Mathews pick because Mathews was injury prone. Granted, Mathews was a first round pick, but still, it seems that Allen's injury history has to be considered in grading him as a draft pick.

S. Williams never really improved and actually seemed to regress at the end. I don't recall ever seeing such a fast/quick CB grab so much. He almost seemed unnecessarily panicky in that respect.

I have to disagree as to T. Williams. He is a negative on defense, possibly the worst edge rusher I have ever seen when it comes to containment and with very little positive in terms of pass rushing skills. He has made plays on special teams, but is not an elite special teams player. He is entirely replaceable as a special teams player--the epitome of "just a guy".

Brad Sorenson gave us nothing.

I think the following is fair:

1/11: D.J. Fluker--C-
    2/38: Manti Te'o--C-
    3/76: Keenan Allen--B+ (dropped from an A due to Allen missing 40% of the team's games in 4 seasons)
    5/145: S. Williams--C
    6/179: T. Williams--C-
    7/221: B. Sorenson--D

Overall: C/C- (rounds up to a C).

• Old Old x 1
  24. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +24
    I AM here!!!!!! Finally!

Yeah that was pretty bad week 1. I'm happy with Brown so far though, we need his help in coverage.

25. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +24
    I want to see more of Desir in action. I don't think he has outside speed, but I think he could be a really interesting player to mix up in zone coverage or covering TEs.

26. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I don't know, but life has to be tougher when your first name is Pierre...

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    2013, I almost look at in the same way I ended up looking at AJ's 2007 draft - once they're drafted, I could really care less what round they were drafted in as long as we got a 1st-round-caliber talent while having a pick in that round in our arsenal, a 2nd-round-talent while having one of those in our arsenal, and so on. Would I have liked to get better value at any pick? Sure. But hindsight is always 20/20 and that's not the case in real time.

Similar to the whole Busted Davis/Weddle bit, if AJ had selected KA in the 1st, Fluker in the 2nd (perhaps even traded up for him because of the scarcity of tackles in the class), and taken Te'o in the 3rd... are people really holding that draft that much against him in terms of value? My experience has always been that the people who go into a discussion looking for a reason to tear down someone are going to find it because they, frankly, care more about perpetuating their agenda than most others do about countering it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    What fancy math did you use to come up with this ridiculous ranking?

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He's not bottom 5 in picking in the 3rd. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and he's still bottom 10 (in a very arbitrary, cherry-picked competition of meaninglessness), but the bottom 5 are very clear... and that's assuming you set the bar for a GM at a minimum of 2 draft concurrent with the time TT has been drafting (because there are guys who were clearly worse in 2013 and 2014 who have since lost their jobs).

• Like Like x 1
  30. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +535
    Yeah that's probably fair. The one caveat is that none of those guys have been very healthy. Allen is about to miss 15 games after missing 8 last season. Fluker has played with a bad ankle for most of the last two seasons. Te'o has missed quite a bit of time.

But that said, the three of them are a fine return on the top three rounds when they're on the field. I was very down on both Fluke and Te'o before those drafts. So I was frustrated when we took them, and I think the reasons why have played out. Considering the investment, I think that's especially true. But at least they've managed to turn themselves into OK players. The other thing I tend to forget is that 2013 was a pretty bad class overall.