1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers add NT Ricardo Mathews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    DT Ricardo Mathews Signed to Beef Up D-Line
    Ricky Henne -
    Managing Editor
    Chargers.com

The San Diego Chargers returned to practice Monday with a new addition to the defensive line, signing defensive tackle Ricardo Mathews. To make room on the roster the team waived running back Marion Grice.

General Manager Tom Telesco is familiar with Mathews as he was initially a seventh-round draft choice of the Indianapolis Colts in 2010. Over four years he appeared in 52 games, totaling 51 tackles, 1.5 sacks and four passes defensed. The 6-3, 300-pound Cincinnati product started six games and also had four playoff appearances with the Colts. Mathews signed with the Houston Texans in April but was released over the weekend. He will wear number 90 with the Bolts.

2. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I'm guessing that all of the Vickerson afficionados are probably opening the windows to their 2nd story dwellings and throwing themselves off the roof right about now...

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +117
    Is he a nose tackle or a DE?

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    He is a nose tackle who was recently released by the Texans who had signed him for extra depth at their D-line.

6. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^When he played at Houston, he was listed as a DE. I am not sure what position he played at Indy.

7. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +117
    Thanks.

8. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    And looking the NFL.com site, he was listed as a DT for Houston. Go figure.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I have a feeling that Vickerson isn't really healthy right now.

10. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    And here is a little tidbit from our friends over at BFTB:

San Diego Chargers sign DT Ricardo Mathews
    [​IMG]
    By John Gennaro34 minutes ag0

San Diego Chargers need more depth on the defensive line and they got it today by signing former Colts DT Ricardo Mathews.

The San Diego Chargers have announced the defensive lineman they've signed after waiving RB Marion Grice and it's.... Ricardo Mathews?

I guess we should've figured it would have been an ex-Colt, due to Tom Telesco's tenure there. Mathews was a 7th round pick of theIndianapolis Colts in 2010 out of the University of Cincinnati. He stands 6'3" and weighs 300 lbs. Here's what his scouting report said four years ago:

Positives: Intriguing 3-4 defensive end or three-technique tackle. Penetrates gaps effectively on run and pass blitzes with good first step. Low center of gravity, stays low to change directions well in the backfield. Has a fair anchor when concentrating on staying his ground. Moves well while engaged inside. Excellent effort and good stamina throughout the game.

Negatives: Marginal production until senior year. Seen as DT/DE 'tweener by some scouts, a bit light to play inside right now and lacks quickness to play outside. Maybe best as 3-4 end. Not exceptional in any one area of his game. Could get off blocks more consistently, and can be moved laterally by linemen.

Source

The Texans signed him this past offseason, but he was a victim of the roster cuts to get down to 53. He was more a victim of a stacked defensive line than anything else, but it should be pointed out that he was used exclusively as a 3-4 DE and not as a NT.

This likely isn't the last roster move the Chargers make this week, but another body in the defensive line rotation will help John Pagano sleep at night instead of worrying about the health of Sean Lissemoreand Lawrence Guy.

Pointy (Thanks to John G)

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Michael Gehlken @UTgehlken · 44m
    Chargers LB Manti Te'o (foot), NT Sean Lissemore (ankle) and DE Lawrence Guy (shoulder) are practicing today. First time in weeks for each.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Interesting that they chose Oliver over Grice. Hopefully he clears waivers and is the 10th player on the practice squad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I most certainly hope so. :tup:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If Vickerson was picked up today his entire 2014 salary with the broncos would've been guaranteed. If however he's picked up in week 2, his salary isn't guaranteed and the Chargers can secure a different amount to pay. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Vickerson was picked up Tuesday by the Bolts and Ricardo released same day.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Not sure I love it myself, Oliver was good when he had huge holes to run through, but I thought Grice was better grinding it out....albeit is very slow in the open field.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Just one of many to come I'm sure. The defense has me wondering how they're going to play together lot's of new moving parts.

17. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    He started out as a DE in houston, and then Kicked inside when they needed him too with Louis Nix injured. He seems like he's been pretty good this preseason. A lot of Texans fans were disappointed that they let him go, but they didn't have much option to. Also interesting tweet from a guy who covers the Texans....

https://twitter.com/JPalmerCSN/status/505772861257048064

Seems like he's solid depth for us.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Okay, I can buy my Super Bowl tickets now...

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I’d be surprised if it went down that way – the fact that he’s a former Colt who Telesco has familiarity with leads me to believe that Mathews will be given a shot to contribute this year, and if Vickerson is signed by the Bolts, it’ll probably be another player on our roster who goes because of it.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Michael Gehlken @UTgehlken · 2h
    RB Marion Grice cleared waivers today. Chargers have added the sixth-round pick to their practice squad. It's now full.