1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers again mull Oceanside for stadium site

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers again mull Oceanside for stadium site

Councilman calls prospect of building there unlikely

Matthew T. Hall (Contact)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009
    [​IMG] -

OCEANSIDE – Two years after saying no to playing in Oceanside, the San Diego Chargers are again contemplating a new stadium there, this time at the site of a defunct drive-in theater on State Route 76.

A developer and a team spokesman stressed that it is very early in their discussions and an Oceanside councilman called the prospect highly unlikely, but the talks mark yet another attempt to keep the Chargers from bolting town.

An executive with Georgia-based Thomas Enterprises, which has approval to build 950,000 square feet of commercial space on the 90-acre site where the Valley Drive-In theater once showed flicks, broached the idea of putting a stadium there with Chargers spokesman Mark Fabiani six weeks ago.

Since then, Fabiani has shot down another developer's proposal to build a new stadium close to the existing Qualcomm Stadium in Mission Valley, and attended a Chula Vista meeting where city officials talked of their attempt to lure the team to their bayfront.

The Chula Vista option is complicated by a massive power plant on the site that the state plans to operate for some time. Yesterday, Fabiani said that possibility isn't very encouraging.

A North County site would be closer to untapped football fan markets in Los Angeles and Orange County, but Fabiani acknowledged the Oceanside property has issues as well.

The economy must rebound to support ancillary development of retail shops, hotels, residences and office space to support a stadium; there is little public transportation to the site; and it is close to Oceanside Municipal Airport.

There have been no financial studies or maps made of the site, said Mel Kuhnel, Thomas Enterprises' vice president of operations for the West Coast.

Kuhnel said meetings between his boss, Stan Thomas, and Chargers president Dean Spanos – an element of any serious discussion – would not occur this early in the process. Fabiani said he hopes that will happen next month.

“It involves a very credible development partner, which is good,” he said. “But it's in the very earliest stages, which means I would advise people if they're interested, it's something they should follow, but it's not something they should pin their hopes on at this point.”

Kuhnel has met with Fabiani twice in the last six weeks. Last week, he sat down individually with council members, including Oceanside Councilman Jerome Kern and Mayor Jim Wood, to talk Chargers and explain how the economy has hindered plans to break ground on the shopping center.

Wood said he was surprised Oceanside is back in the mix, two years after the Chargers said a stadium didn't pencil out at the Center City Golf Course. He said there would be a lot of hurdles for this new plan.

The city might soon lock in a 50-year lease extension for the airport, giving the Federal Aviation Administration a big say in nearby development. A stadium would require at least 20 acres and be up to 200 feet tall.

“I like the idea of the Chargers coming to North County, but it would be real tough to find a place for them here,” Kern said.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    I have a client right on Aiport road, so I know exactly where this is. That potential site is right in the flight path of that little airport.

While I'd love to have the stadium there, I must admit I'm not enthused it'll happen.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As long as they're the San Diego Chargers... that's ALL that matters!

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Tickticktickticktick ...... :unsure:

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
  7. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    If LA ever gets this stadium built in the next few years, the Chargers are gone. And the city will have itself to "thank". Keep voting in conservative, dumb asz, penny-pinching, backwards-thinking mayors and then sit back and watch the tourist dollars dwindle as there becomes less and less exposure for the city. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, you can't get any better advertising for tourism than to have people watching games from San Diego when the cameras are showing beautiful city scenes leading in from commercial breaks. Or seeing people dressed in shorts when it's snowing back east. My favorite was on a sunday night game a couple years back when Madden said that it was so nice in San Diego that they should play TWO games here on Sundays. (or something to that effect.) Can't buy that sort of honest, off-the-cuff advertising. That's a free commercial. Anybody know what it costs to film, edit and buy commercial time?

We get what we deserve.

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    then you can kiss my rear end good bye!

San Diego or nothing!

9. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    That's unfortunate. Even if they stay in SoCal?

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

I WILL NEVER ROOT FOR A TEAM THAT CALLS LA HOME!

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    While the site might not be ideal in Oside, it's very encouraging that there is at least another viable option to Chula Vista which seems DOA due to the power plant situation.

I still think somehow it will end up being downtown near Petco which would be ideal for Superbowls and other large events, however, Oceanside is a beautiful place and still San Diego imo. Maybe it's because I was born/raised in Carlsbad but I've always considered "San Diego" my home, even in North County... better than the OC or LA or *shudder* out of state ><

I also find it comforting that the Bolts are still open to looking at the project seriously - it's one more bit of proof that they DON'T want to leave SD and are very much invested in trying to find a solution here. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    OC <> LA

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    for me LA starts when I pass Camp Pendleton going up Highway 5

14. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    The OC is sooooooo much less lame than LA ;)

I mean, hellooooo I live there :p that's gotta be worth somethin right??? :lol: :icon_tease:

15. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Yeah me too, not that I improve the area any, actually I probably, ummm, oh nevermind - Sydalish lives here!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If they move out of San Diego, I'm continuing my season tickets and scalping them till I get every penny back that I've ever giving them.

Then throwing a party with a big bon fire fed with all my Chargers jerseys, t-shirts, hats, trading cards, ect.

Then I'll consider myself a free agent fan and seek out a new team... though it won't be Retards, Donks, Quiefs, Ponies, Gnats, or Patsies.
    Hell, it might even be a CFL team if I can get the coverage.

I just don't have the Raider fan mentality to follow a team where ever it goes.

17. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I pass that location on the way to work almost every day. There are several Oceanside schools past that location, just off the 76. I was wondering what they might do with that site. Its just sitting there.

I heard rumors of a mall being built there. Then I heard they were going to re-open the theaters, which I didnt find to have much validity.

And now this rumor. :icon_eek:

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    But if you went to your very first Charger game in 1970, and have continued to support them being a season ticket holder since 1980, ( one year I did not keep them due to finance's)

They might as well rip my heart out, I am not traveling north past Camp Pendleton to watch them play. I am a die hard SAN DIEGO Chargers fan, I will live and die with them. Move north, find some new fans, I have way to much on my plate all ready.

19. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'm just givin' ya a hard time ;) and standing up for the OC, it's no LA hehe not that I want the team to move here tho.

I'd be devastated if they left the county myself - even if they were closer to where I rest my head at night :icon_shrug:

The absolutely belong in San Diego.

20. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    This is the latest rumor I've read about.

Now, XTRASports Tweeted this, 2 hours ago (11am):

Tonight on Josh & Brian...UT's Mark Ziegler at 4pm, Jim Steeg at 4:45pm for big Chargers announcement and Norv Turner on at 5:05pm on 1360 AM.

Hmmm, wonder what thats all about...:icon_shrug:

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thanks Rexy :tup:

22. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Build it and they wiil come :abq2:

23. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Great argument, piss off half of the fans reading this.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]

25. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54

So the conservatives screwed up the stadium issue?

I thought two of the biggest obstacles in recent history (Aguirre and Frye) were both Democrats.

I have lived in two cities in my life--San Diego and Chicago. Both cities have disfuncitional/corrupt governments. Somehow though Chicago manages to be corrupt as a means to get stuff done. San Diego just likes being disfunctional, and it could end up costing them an NFL franchise.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Didn't they sign something about staying at Qualcomm till 2020?

Well if they won't honor it.. F**K EM"!!!!
    I stuck with them since day one of this whole stadium thing, but now I say "honor what you signed, d*ckhead!!"

You lived happily through that whole Leaf era and it was NOBODY'S fault but your's!!! Not the city's, fan's, stadium's, or what ever else you can think up. YOUR'S!!!!

Have you brought any Super Bowl titles to San Diego in 50 years? NO!!!!

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It would be tough for me not to follow the Bolt's if they moved out of Dego. They are the reason I even cared about football, I wouldn't like it if they left but it sure seems like the road blocks keep getting set up.

If they can bring home the brass ring this year a deal may go through much easier. When they built the Murph it took the people to get behind it, let your voice be heard.

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    but if what they sign had an "out clause" even if they take it it still would be honoring their contract :icon_shrug:

29. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Point is, Oceanside might be the last opportunity to keep the team in the county.

Since funding has already been established to connect Hwy 76 to I-15, one of (what would have been) the biggest obstacles has already been conquered.

The location is ideal for attracting the Big Dollar clients from Orange, L.A. and Riverside Counties, in addition to retaining all sorts of ties to San Diego businesses....

The Spanoses would have their money, the area could again attract Super Bowls, tourism would experience a boom, and the stadium would obviously be multi-purpose, lending itself to hosting a variety of revenue-generating events.

I hope nobody eff's this up.

30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    The only logistical obsticle I see is the little muni airport. If that is to remain, that area is right in the flight path. We're not talking about a lot of flight traffic though.