1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers again push deadline to get a sellout

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    September 18, 2008

The extremely high level of local affection for them is unquestioned, easily measured by the number of bolt-adorned blue jerseys bearing the names Tomlinson, Merriman, Gates and Rivers.
    Ratings for their games are through the roof locally. With their stars and their scintillating style of play and their two straight division titles, national interest in them is such that when they host the New York Jets next week on “Monday Night Football,” it will be the first of five prime-time games they'll play this 16-game regular season.
    So what's this blackout business with the Chargers?
    Even with the cachet of “MNF,” the Chargers-Jets game remains subject to the 72-hour blackout rule that would go into effect Friday at 5:30 p.m., although few believe it'll happen. That in itself might be a reason for the lack of a late rush for the last thousand or so tickets available, the fact that the blackout hasn't been enforced in a Chargers game at Qualcomm Stadium since the New Orleans Saints came to town in the middle of the 2004 season.
    Still, what gives? Why does it always seem to be a question?
    “The problem that exists (is) that we've been sold out 31 straight games coming into this and everybody thinks, 'They're sold out,'” said Jim Steeg, the Chargers' chief operating officer. “We've run into so many people who've either called for tickets or talked to you and said, 'What do you mean, they're still available?' They just can't believe that there are still tickets available to be purchased.
    “We did significant advertising back in May and June and July, trying to let everybody know tickets were available. But I'm not sure it's getting through to everybody.”
    According to Steeg, the Chargers sold “in the area of 8,000 new season tickets” for 2008, but actually cut off sales because many fans were more interested in buying single-game tickets.
    “Last year when we did that, all those (single-game) tickets were gone within three weeks,” Steeg said. “That's not the case this year. I'm sure the economy has something to do with that.”
    Raised for the fourth straight year, Chargers ticket prices now average $81.39, according to Team Marketing Report, well above the NFL average of $72.20. Team Marketing Report ranks the Chargers as having the seventh most expensive average ticket in the NFL.
    In order to beat the blackout, television affiliates or businesses generally buy, or guarantee purchase of, unsold tickets to be able to broadcast games locally, something fans here surely have come to expect. That happened as recently as the Sept. 7 season opener.
    There are sources of rescue in other places as well, like Detroit, where a furniture company last week bought the last 3,100 tickets to lift the blackout of the Lions-Packers game.
    The Minnesota Vikings were pushing the deadline this week with about 2,000 tickets left, putting at risk a no-blackout streak that goes all the way back to 1997, but yesterday received a 24-hour extension from the NFL.
    LT RESTS AGAIN
    Running back LaDainian Tomlinson again was withheld from the first full day of practice, and while veteran nose tackle Jamal Williams is expected to play Monday night, he and center Nick Hardwick were “limited” in participation in drills. Offensive tackle Marcus McNeill was fully engaged in practice, as were safety Clinton Hart (with his left forearm and wrist bandaged) and linebackers Shaun Phillips and Marques Harris.
    Of Tomlinson's non-participation, coach Norv Turner said, “It has nothing to do with precaution. If he could run, LT would be out here running. This is like a Wednesday of a normal game week, so we'll see where he is (today and tomorrow).”
    N.Y. STATE OF MIND
    The Chargers don't play the Jets all that often, but several of their personnel have seen a lot of the Jets up close. Chargers defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell was assistant head coach and defensive coordinator of the Jets (2001-03), and his secondary coach there was Bill Bradley, now with the Chargers as well. Defensive end Luis Castillo was born in Brooklyn and strong safety Steve Gregory is from Staten Island, while two starting linebackers, Shaun Phillips and Jyles Tucker, are from the New Jersey side the Jets call home.

UT

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I suspect that plenty of people are cutting back on entertainment, even if it is MNF, considering the cost of going to a game with family in tow. A wife and two kids, with the attendant food and drink, will set someone back close to three hundred, easily.

3. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Charger fans are pathetic :icon_rofl:

4. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I've got two tickets if anyone would like to buy them.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    yup

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    There'll be quite a few Jet fans there Monday Night.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I got tickets!!! Yaaay!!! Just bought a pair - I say, MAKE BRETT PAY! ;)

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    so, you're not a Bolt fan?

Or, do you admit what the rest of us already know?? :icon_shrug:

:lol:

9. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I love you Gramps!

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_tease:

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He means carnally...

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Arrr, he'll be a dead man walkin'
    Aye.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    last few hundred seats are teh hardest to buy because they are often

1) Not together
    2) In places that make it difficult to see
    3) Still really expensive
    4) Sometimes all of the above

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Channel 10 will buy the rest. They've got the local broadcasting rights for the game and will lose advertising money if they don't pay for those seats.

15. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    its the same every year. and prob will be the rest of the season. people still dont get it.

why the fugg would anybody pay 100 dollars for a seat that you know you cant see the field?

if it gets to the point where there are only 600 seats left, consider it a sellout. they will be bought up.

16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    you know there are alot of great people serving in the United States Military putting thier asses on the line every single second.

Why dont you get off your phuquing lazy ***, enlist, and volunteer to go over to Iraq, that way when a gernade comes into your hut, you can throw yourself on it, and protect someone. Then you can be listed as a Hero and an ***hole!

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

:icon_eek:

18. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    :sleep014:

19. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    By the time we win a lambroarfdsifadusi you wont even be able to grow hair. :icon_rofl:

20. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblo...fted/?chargers

Quote:
    Blackout lifted for Monday
    By Jay Posner

Posted: September 19, 2008

The Chargers just announced enough tickets have been sold to lift the local TV blackout for Monday night's game against the Jets. The game will be televised nationally by ESPN and also shown locally on Channel 10.

A limited number of Club Level seats and other single seats remain on sale.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    NICE!!! :abq1: :abq2:

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Not to disagree with you, but...WTF does one comment have to do with the other? :icon_shrug:

23. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Well, the way I read it was that a lot of Chargers fans are military and just can't afford to buy tickets right now since we get paid dick.

Of course, I may just be reading it with a bias since that's my situation. :unsure::tdown:

24. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I think it means H8er is sick of MD's ****... :icon_shrug:

IMHO

25. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Jeez wtf.
    This shouldn't be a freaking problem.
    If i lived in san diego i would go to all the games and bring a sh*t load of my family
    Are the tickets really this expensive or is it that the city isn't motivated enough:tdown:

26. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    :mellow:

27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Well, my two plaza seats cost me $1804 for the entire season (10 games X $90 per game (including pre-season) X 2 + $4 shipping). That's with an $8 per game discount.

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That's how I read it.

29. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    The whole ticket sales routine has been screwy ever since the team started winning. At a certain point in the off-season they declare that "Season tickets have sold out"...Translation: People don't want to pay season seat money for the remaining seats with a crappy view of the field. To make matters worse, when the single game tickets go on sale in order to buy a ticket to a big game (Chargers vs Pats) you must also purchase a ticket to a pre selected game you don't want to go to AND pay full price for a @#$%^& pre season game. Not so long ago as a season seat holder, I could order additional tickets for any game on the schedule before the general public got a shot at them on a first come, first served basis.

If they continue to put a winning product on the field and get rid of the previously mentioned chicken-s**t multiple game purchase policy they will actually sell out games before the deadline. Advertising to the public that tickets are available well in advance wouldn't hurt either.

Go Chargers!

30. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I get it:tup: