1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers agree to contract with Cooper

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by ChargerRay, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Source: Associated Press

SAN DIEGO (AP)—The Chargers agreed to a one-year contract with linebacker Stephen Cooper on Friday.

Cooper, 31, played the last eight seasons with the Chargers and started 11 of 12 games played in 2010.

While Cooper was in free agency last month, the Chargers signed another veteran linebacker, Takeo Spikes, to a three-year deal. Spikes, 34, played the last four seasons in San Francisco under Greg Manusky, now San Diego’s defensive coordinator.

Thursday in the team’s preseason opener, Spikes started at the 3-4 defense’s “mike” spot, where Cooper had played.

“We are happy Coop decided to return to the Chargers,” general manager A.J. Smith said in a statement released by the club. “He wanted to explore the free agent market and weigh his options. He will bring his experience and more veteran leadership to our linebacker corps.”

The club didn’t release financial terms of the deal.

Attached Files:

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hope it was damn cheap, like vet minimum.

3. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    I am sure it was pretty cheap, but I am happy to have this guy come back to the defense. Would be a make or break year for him so I am expecting him to go all out.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd feel good about no Cooper & Spikes calling the D signals. He should certainly be fluent with Manusky's language & scheme. Maybe it's educating Butler for the long term & Spikes will likely be rotating more.

Either way, the Cooper signing doesn't move me much either way.

5. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    Apparently he came back for the league minimum. Maybe this will lite a fire under his *** to kill some people on the field. I am going to wait for my final judgement once the regular season starts and he actually performs.

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Crap, just when I thought the coaching staff was ready to toss the needle...

If we end up with Cooper and Cesaire back in there getting a lot of snaps, I'll ****.