1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers agree with LB Donald Butler

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Five of San Diego’s draft picks now are under contract with training camp still weeks away.

[​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 1 hour ago
    7-9-2010

SAN DIEGO – Third-round draft pick Donald Butler[​IMG] and fifth-round pick Cam Thomas[​IMG] agreed to four-year contracts with San Diego on Friday.
    The Chargers now have signed or agreed to contracts with five of their six draft picks three weeks before training camp begins in full. First-round choice Ryan Mathews[​IMG] is the only remaining unsigned pick.
    Butler, a 6-foot-1, 248-pound inside linebacker, earned second-team All-Pac-10 as a senior at Washington. He made 91 tackles, one sack, forced three fumbles and intercepted two passes.
    Butler led all linebackers at the NFL Combine, where he bench pressed 225 pounds 35 times. He recently studied extra film with linebackers coach John Pagano after Washington’s late graduation forced him to miss the first two weeks of OTAs and Mini Camp.
    “I think it went well,” Butler said of his first practice with the vets June 14. “The biggest thing is, you’ve got to open your eyes and ears more at this level, because if you don’t hear something, you’re going to be a step behind and then you’re out of the play.”
    Thomas, the 6-foot-4, 335-pound defensive tackle out of North Carolina, was considered good value by many draft analysts for his potential as a fifth-round selection.
    He made 23 tackles last season, blocked a kick and was credited with three quarterback pressures. Thomas earned a Senior Bowl invitation following the season and sacked Oklahoma State quarterback Zac Robinson during the All-Star game.
    “I’m just here to do a job and help win games. That’s basically it,” Thomas said. “And my job is to clog up gaps and help make plays when it’s my time.”

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    This could be the hardest pick to sign, but get it done AJ. We need Ryno in camp asap!

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Butler is going to give Cooper a run for his money. :tup:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I hope he replaces him. Coop is a liability.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is going to be great to see this kid push Cooper out of a job and off this team.

Good job AJ, way to get the deal done

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_party: :icon_toast:

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    What the **** was THAT?!?!? :no:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't see Cooper getting cut even if Butler starts.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't either, at least not this year. But after the 2010 season, Bye Bye Cooper

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I believe Butler will have made the position his own by the middle of the season!

I also think Siler will make a big step up also.

Cooper will be gone and Burnett will be 3rd choice by the middle of the season.

Remember the names

DONALD BUTLER & BRANDON SILER!!!

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Someone, please pass me the pipe! :icon_high:

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I so hope you are right, only I want Butler to supplant Cooper. I want Coop gone, thanks for the memories. We need to get bigger, younger and faster at that position, oh and someone who makes tackles!.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not saying that Cooper gets cut this year. That's a stretch, particularly since RR seems so enamored with him. But he could (& hopefully will) lose his starting position.

14. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Alright. Ronald Hunter and Crandon Finder.

15. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    You mean Raynaldo Butlang and Slendon Miler.

Mark my words my pretties, Butler will be the gem of this draft. . .

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That was never Coop's issue last season. He was just dandy at vulturing tackles, but he saw a significant decrease in his ability to shed blocks and to shoot gaps (his initial burst is something that just looks to have suffered by way of increased age).

Coop's likely done after this season anyway; when was the last time AJ kept a LB around after he eclipsed 30? Siler fits - in what he can do - what RR looks for out of his LB's, but he has to prove that he can be a reliable every-game starter and not just a rotational/goal-line/spot-starter. I think he's capable of it, but my belief in him doesn't change the fact that he needs a greater body of work to support his case.

Assuming we don't see another rash of injuries to the LB corps again this season, Holt (assuming he makes the team, but probably still at least in camp and the preseason) will see reps at ILB which I believe is where the team intended for him to play but was kind of forced to kick him outside last year with injuries to guys like Applewhite and Tucker. I still honestly think Applewhite might get some looks inside since he has played some nickel LB for us in the past, and he fits that kind of versatility at LB that RR seems to prefer.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    For Holt to make the final 53 we're going to have to see an injury or someone completely crap the bed. Don't get me wrong - that isn't a knock on him. I just don't see anyone forcing out the group of Cooper, Siler, Burnett, & Butler.