1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers all-time roster -> offense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 15, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Ok, I decided to come up with and all time roster for the Chargers offense. If this thread is fun, we can do an all-time roster for the defense too.

Ok, here are the positions to fill and the number of players at each postion:

QB(1)
    WR(2)
    RB(2)
    FB(1)
    TE(2)
    T(2)
    G(2)
    C(1)
    K(1)
    P(1)

Here are my pics for the Chargers all-time roster:

QB ~ Dan Fouts - Fouts was a slinger and under the air coryell system he revolutionized the modern passing game. Him and Dan Marino are the two most exciting QBs I've seen play the game. Fouts came first, so i gues he's the original Dan the Man. Calm under pressure. No QB from the that time period throuigh the present would I rather see run the 2 minute drill.

WR#1 ~ Lance (Bambi) Alworth - Fist AFL player int eh hall of fame. In hi era, he was a man being covered by boys. Simply amazing.

WR#2 ~ Wes Chandler - Tough call here because we've had so many great WRs. Jefferson was great, but left to soon. Fortunately Chandler filled his shoes without missing a beat. I've always thought that he was underrated, but he was the man when Fouts had to make a play.

RB#1 ~ LaDainian Tomlinson - He's got a special blend of speed, elusivness, and power. Compare him to Gayle Sayers, Walter Payton. Not only is he the best player n the NFL right now, but he's also a good guy.

RB#2 ~ Paul Lowe - I gave consideration to Muncie here, but Lowe picked up the tough yards when it mattered.

FB ~ Lorenzo Neal - He's nothing but a battering ram of muscle. It's not a coincedence that so may 1000 yard rushers have run behind him.

TE#1 ~ Kellen Winslow - The dude is a dork and raised an a hole for a son, but he could play.

TE#2 ~ Antonio Gates - Talk about a gem in rough. The thing is, he's still getting better. By far, the premier TE in the league right now. Everyone wants the next Gates, but we got the real thing.

T#1 ~ Ron Mix - How does a Tackle get voted team MVP? He did it. Solid as they come, now a hall of famer.

T#2 ~ Russ Washington - Chargers all time leader in games played. Solid and except for one year, stayed healthy. Players like this make a great O-Line.

G#1 ~ Ed White - Fouts had a great line for years, Ed White was his center. tough and solid.

G#2 ~ Doug Wilkerson - Another Fouts era guard. Damn I wish we had that O-line these days.

C ~ Don Macek - Do I think Fouts played behind a great O-Line? yup, I sure do. Another solid guy that played for 14 seasons.

K ~ John Carney - I loveRolf Benirschke here, but I have to give the spot to Carney. Best kicker the Charger ever had.

P ~ Darren Bennet - That Aussie could put one heck of a funky spin on the ball. Lots of kicks inside the 20, even mor einside the 10. And if he needed to boom one the distance, he coudl do that too.

That's my list. What's yours? :icon_shrug:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Because I have less experience then many of you, my list will have lots of holes

QB: Dan Fouts (no question)
    RB: Ladanian Tomlinson
    FB: Lorenzo Neal
    TE: Tie Kellen Winslow & Antonio Gates
    WR: Lance Alworth, John Jefferson
    C: Courtney Hall
    K: john carney
    P: Mike Scifres (will be there soon enough)

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Nice list! Similar to mine. I know a lot of people would pick John Jefferson over Chandler. Jefferson was majic, but only for a few years. He wanted the big contract and never did much after he was gone. I feel Chandler was underrated and spectacular in his own right. I remember one catch he made in SF where he contorted his body around the defender and made the catch for a TD. An impossible catch.

Courtney Hall was solid, but I'd take Ed White any day. Scifres is a hell of a punter, but Bennet was money, especially getting the ball to stop near the goal line. Plus if he needed to boom one, no problem. Scifres has shown similar play at times. He did have that terrible punt at a really bad time against Dallas last year, but I'm not going to hold one punt against him. I would like to see how he's doing in a few years and if he's still booming them.

4. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    QB(1)Dan Fouts
    He was simple one of the best to ever play the game , he could read a defense faster than Evlin Woods could read a sentence.

WR(1) John Jefferson
    JJ was the best Bolt wr I ever saw , his catches were a work of art and his enthusiasm for the game raised the teams level of play ,his career was to short here.

WR(2) Tony Martin
    I think Tony caught more big bomb passes and than any Bolt except maybe Lance Allworth but I did not see Lance play. Martin made the defenses play the Bolts honest . He and Humphries and Means could have been very special if Beatherd had not blown it.

RB(1) LT
    Nobody close, speed ,cut back ,straight arm , can catch and pass.

RB (2) I can't limit it , Means , Marion Butts, Chuck Muncie all have to get a plug . If Beatherd had not cut means after the Super Bowl LT may have had a stronger 2nd RB on this list or if Beatherd had kept James Brooks who was awesome here for a season or two then was super with the Bengals.

FB(1) Lorenzo Neal
    He really is a OG ...more pancakes than I hop.

TE(2) Kellen and Gates speed size and play makers H.O.F.

T(1) Jim Lechey hope I spelled it right , Jim played just a couple of seasons and was traded to the Raiders in a lopsided trade that landed us nothing. Jim played in several SB with the Skins.

T(2) Russ Washington great player and leader on one of the best OL in the history of football.

G(2) ED White , Ed was the N.F.L. arm wrestling champ and a big star with the Vikings before landing in S.D. He also is a great big funny guy who was Fouts big buddy.

C(1) Don Macek smart player and a bit in the shadows due to all the talent

K(1) Man they have been blessed with several but John Carney will get my vote over Rolf , Butler's big mistake.

P(1) Darren Bennet All decade team are you kidding who else compares at this point not even close.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Jefferson I know from limited viewing of old tapes and I think he was an amazing WR with incredible talent. I also think more of him because he was a rookie that made the probowl, that was the end-all to the discussion in my mind. Regarding Courtney Hall, that's my youth. I don't know much about the Chargers OL's of the past; I grew up with Raleigh Roundtree, Vaughn Parker and Kendall Jacox. So I'm a bit :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: on Chargers OL. I'd probably be better on defense

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Jefferson, was also the 1st receiver ever to have over 1000 yards receiving in his 1st 3 seasons. Just think of what he could have accomplished if he wasn't traded to Greenbay.

7. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,601
    But w/o a real QB after Fouts retired, how great could any receiver be?

8. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Good point, but he would have at least still had a good 4-5 more years to play with Fouts. But everything happens for a reason. If JJ didn't move on, then we would have one of my favorite WR's of all time - Wes Chandler.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Wouldn't Chandler have been either in the slot of starting opposite JJ if we kept the both of them?