1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers already benefited from '08 draft

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Feb 21, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/chargers-already-benefited.htm
    [​IMG]

Thursday, Feb 21, 2008
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Particularly this time of year, you’ll often hear Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith and his personnel staff talk about improving the Bolts’ roster by any means, with the disclaimer that they’re passionate about the NFL draft.

As the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine got underway Thursday in Indianapolis, the Chargers find themselves in a unique position. Excluding compensatory picks which will be awarded in March, the Bolts will have just four selections in April’s draft. The Chargers are expected to receive a compensatory selection for losing Donnie Edwards in free agency.

“It’s very unusual,” said Chargers Assistant General Manager Buddy Nix. “You prepare the same (for the draft). You never know what might happen. Some trade might arise and you wind up with a second, so you better be prepared to make a pick in the second round. We’ll do everything just like we always have when we’ve had all of our picks.”

The Chargers’ draft class in ’08 may seem smaller, but in actuality, the crop of players acquired through this year’s draft has already started to make a name for itself. Three choices from this year’s draft are already on the roster and producing.

The Chargers are slated to pick 27th in the first round. The team’s second round choice was dealt to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for wide receiver Chris Chambers.

The move paid immediate dividends as the veteran caught 35 passes for 555 yards and four touchdowns in 10 regular season games with the Bolts and hauled in 16 more receptions for 278 yards in the postseason. The deal for Chambers was one that should have impact into the future as his current contract runs through 2009.

The Bolts’ third-round pick belongs to Chicago as part of a package the Chargers sent the Bears last April in order to move up in the second round of the 2007 draft to select safety Eric Weddle.

Smith, Nix and company felt great about the move when it was made, and the Chargers only feel better after watching the former Utah star play a valuable role as a rookie, one that will likely expand in his second pro season.

Last July, the Chargers utilized their fourth-round pick in this draft by selecting defensive back Paul Oliver in the supplemental draft. Oliver was inactive for all 16 games as a rookie last season but is expected to be a factor in the secondary this season.

All 22 starters from a 2007 team that came just one injury-riddled game from going to the Super Bowl are under contract, so there are no immediate pressing needs. That gives the Chargers the luxury of using the picks to acquire players like Chambers, Weddle and Oliver.

“How are you going to beat that?” Nix asked. “We’ve already hit on those guys. When you’ve got some depth you’d like to fill through the draft, it makes it pretty hard, but we’re really happy with the moves we’ve made.”

While the Chargers have seemingly struck gold with so many of their draft picks in recent years, Smith also has a history of trading picks for proven talent. In October of 2006, he acquired a reliable, veteran backup quarterback in Billy Volek by sending a 2007 sixth-round draft pick to the Tennessee Titans.

On draft day 2006, the Chargers sent their fourth-round selection to the St. Louis Rams in exchange for tight end Brandon Manumaleuna, a selfless player who has made major contributions in two seasons with the Bolts.

In 2004, Smith acquired offensive tackle Roman Oben and wide receiver Keenan McCardell from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in separate trades for draft choices.

“We’ve used picks to gain depth and in some cases impact players like Chris (Chambers) was for us this year,” Nix said. “We say it all the time: we’ll explore any avenue to make our football team better. We’ve already used part of our draft to do that. Now we’re working hard to make the right decisions with the picks we still have.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    no doubt. Gettting chambers for a 2nd rounder was a steal. The guy is better than advertised.:yes:

Got a feeling oliver is gonna be really good as well. Sounds like they're gonna play him at saftey and nickle back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Chambers had almost half as many passes in the postseason as he did in ten reg season games (16 catches in postseason- 35 reg season 10 games).

Norv gave the rest of the league major butt-hurt in the postseason opening up the passing game like he did and the rest of the AFCW is really feeling it. :yes:

Our offense is going to be freakish next year especially with a healthy LT and a healthy Gates. Oh man.

Fat guys Buddy and AJ. Fat guys. :yes: :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It should not take any Chargers fan to realize that Chris Chambers is mother effing NAILS.

The dude is balls.

It sometimes takes ahole Charger fan to wonder if the Reche Caldwells will make it and if anyone, I mean anyone, does not see that Chambers is the ****, they are fuc't in the head.

Bada mother effing bing. :bolt:

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Yep AND he got a big taste of postseason football and had pimpshit success along with VJ. Like I said oh man and I've been begging for a vet stud WR since the Mike Riley days.

The rest of the AFCW knows their fate and it's all a matter of how much grease they want except for Cutlet's ***** *** and the Broncos; they get no grease. :no: :bolt:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Beef.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Maybe we should exchange the golden bolt for a golden fid.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm so happy to have been stuffed with crow all year long because Chambers was a freakin pimp out there. But yeah lets face facts those trades solidifed the chargers at WR #1 and FS and provided some sort of swingman (though the jury's way out on Oliver).

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Goddamn right.

BEEF.

And MORE BEEF.

Did I say more BEEF ?

PS.... I am getting calls wondering if you are going to handle the money fund for the grub????

If interested, let me know. Hopefully, we get more posters contributing to the grub fund this year. :icon_toast:

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Going with already proofed trades into the draft is great.

Let's feel the power of 2008 BOLTS :abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I feel the power

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    Beef. It's what's for drafting.

The charger's brain trust has been nails. All the AJ haters should be strapping on the industrial strength knee pads, if they have not already assumed the position.

Another year under Norv. A more balanced attack to get all those fukers out of the box and give LT room to run!

13. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    A.J. Smith >>>>>>> Albert Einstein

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    This is a very good point. That means we've already had a good and productive draft! I like this thinking. We don't have to wait for years to find out if these picks are going to pan out. These guys (except for Oliver yet) have already panned out and produced! :abq2:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:flag: I AM GOD

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    :flag:

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    We need this big boy right here on the o-line....

[​IMG]

17. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Didn't Nix go to another team? I could of sworn that he had gone to Atlanta or something.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think it was discussed as a possiblity, but I don't think he's history yet.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    we don't need him on our OL, we need him at our tailgate!
    THat's alot of carne asada baby!:lol::lol::lol: