1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers anxious to bounce back

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

When Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy began his team meeting Wednesday morning, he opened with a message similar to one Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner delivered to reporters earlier this week.

As Turner pointed out to the media on Monday, Dungy’s Colts gave up 375 rushing yards to the Jacksonville Jaguars last December but responded by playing well enough to march through the playoffs. Dungy reminded his players of how they felt following their defeat at Jacksonville and told his team to expect to see an inspired Chargers team.

“Our guys took it upon themselves to play their defense the way it’s supposed to be played,” Dungy said. “We didn’t make a lot of changes. We didn’t do anything differently, but the mindset of our group changed after that game and we got it going. San Diego is going to do the same thing. They’re a very proud defensive team. They’re a very good defense. They got hit with about five runs that put them in the record book and I’m sure they’re not happy about that. We expect to see their best.”

Prior to Sunday, the Chargers had risen to eighth in the NFL in rushing defense, allowing just over 88 yards per game. A week after being dominated on the ground at Minnesota, the Bolts’ defense looks to regain their edge Sunday as they host the Colts. Turner believes it’s simply getting back to fundamentals.

“We have to tackle better, and those are things we’re addressing,” Turner said. “But it’s not like those are things we haven’t done before. Those are things we did just the week before that.”

On Wednesday, Chargers defenders echoed Dungy’s belief that they must get their minds right. Several players mention that run defense is an attitude, one that has been pounded into their heads repeatedly during their tenure with the Bolts.

“We will find that edge,” linebacker Shawne Merriman said. “We will have that attitude.”

Added linebacker Matt Wilhelm, “Everyone in this locker room knows that what happened last week wasn’t us. We’ve got a lot of pride. We’ll get back to what we know we can do. We’ve had some success with (the Colts) in the past. We’re going to use a similar approach and get back to what we know best.”

If the Chargers hope to get their run defense back on track, they’ll have to do so against another hot runner. Colts running back Joseph Addai ranks third in the NFL with 704 rushing yards this season. That total comes in spite of missing one game due to injury. Addai is coming off a 112-yard performance against New England last week. Turner lauded Addai’s vision and the way he’s fit into the Colts’ system.

“He does a great job of running their zone plays,” Turner said. “He has very good run instincts and he has outstanding quickness. He presents a challenge. It’s a chance for us to bounce back from a performance we’re not very proud of. Defensively we’ve got to tackle well and make sure that we don’t give up big plays.

2. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    We need to old fashion Charger Defense and for that to happen we need Jamer and Phillips because Petterson's long run came over the edge.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    THEY WILL FIND THEIR EDGE !!!!!!????

WTF F***

THIS IS THE NINTH GAME OF THE SEASON!!

WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO FIND IT????

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think your avatar is irresponsible.

5. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I'm anxious for these guys to bounce up and not come back down...

• Like Like x 1
  6. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm anxious for Ted to get the pink paycheck.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good for the Chargers to be anxious. I am anxious to get my groove on at the tailgater.

There is something about eating the carne of the gods at a time when we are normally in the stadium for a 1:00 kick-off. I am real anxious for this party. :icon_party:

I am hungry !!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

[​IMG] :abq2: [​IMG] :abq2:[​IMG]

9. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    :bolt::abq1:CHARGE!!!!:abq1::bolt:

10. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I really do have a problem with these "finding and edge" and "attitude" quotes and comments. If they do not have that for every game this team has no chance this season.

Come on guys - stop the crap and play football. I am sick of these stupid one liners.

• Like Like x 2
  11. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    :clap:The only thing I want to hear is, "Me play football. Me crushum other guy."

• Like Like x 1
  12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    What the hell are they supposed to say? "WE suck?" They were asked a question and they gave an answer. I'm sure they'd much rather just give their answer on the field, but they do have media obligations to fufill.

13. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    No - I don't think they should say they "suck" - I don't think they "suck". But I don't think they should say to the press that the team does not get up for some games or have the "attidude" to win them. That is the assumption from reading Merriman's quotes.

Just because you talk to the press does not mean you have licence to be an idiot. How about a little talk about how they can't get a consitant pass rush....or how about a discussion on their inability to tackle in five games this season.....or a brief discussion on if they are having troubles with their new responsibilites under Ted and Norv....anything but throwing out there that they may not be "up" for some games.

14. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Honestly, I would respect that more than another hollow platitude.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    HELL YES!!!

STAND UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!!!

RIGHT NOW, THEY SUCK!!!!

:icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This team-hating BS gets really old. You guys sound like a bunch of tantrum-throwing three year olds. When we lose, you whine relentlessly about every player. They can do nothing right. I understand the sting of losing badly to a mediocre team, but you don't have to let your anger and disappointment overshadow everything else.

If you were honest with yourselves, you'd admit that no matter what the players said this week, you'd have a problem with it. Because it's not really what they say you have a problem with. It's their performance vs. Minny.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    In the last olace they look, isn't that the way it usually happens.:icon_shrug::bolt:

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Finding that edge and attitude sometimes involves yellow flags and I ain't meaning cautions. If a player on our team lays a good shot on an opposing player and draws a flag y"all *****, if he plays it straight up y'all *****. There is no pleasing the fickle Dego fans, I for one love the good hard hit's that draw flags, it gives other teams in the league one more thing to worry about. Go Bolts and knock the other team the fawk out.:bolt:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm ready for a gator but I ALSO EXPECT A WIN!!!

I DON'T GIVE A FUK WHO OUR OPPONENT IS!!!
    NO EXCUSES!!!!!

I DON'T CARE IF WE LOSE BY ONE POINT.
    I'LL BE JUST AS FURIOUS AS LAST SUNDAY!!!

20. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Except when it happens in the playoffs, right?

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    don't get me wrong BB

I don't hate our team, we have a shiit load of pro bowlers.

My problems start with crappy play, predictable play calling, lack of emotion, lack of preparation, and lack of adjustments

and, not just against Minny

I would have no problem if the opposition beat us fair and square but, we have beat ourselves in each one of our losses

I still love the Bolts

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    My problem isn't so much with criticism. It's just that after a loss people complain about everyone and everything. It doesn't matter what the player says, it's the wrong thing. It doesn't matter what the coach does, it's the wrong thing.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    No, you have to impose your will on your opponent. It's win by all means and to me that don't mean playing nice. The Pats are playing it out perfectly, show no mercy.:bolt:

24. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Well...I think that's true.:lol: j/k.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Then come out from behind the paper bag!!!! :icon_tease: