1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers are looking to the draft to tab future running back

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee
    Friday, February 20, 2009

[​IMG]

INDIANAPOLIS – It is time.

A decision about the future of the running back position is upon the Chargers after eight years of unthinkably wondrous stability.

In spite of Darren Sproles' new promise of riches and regardless of what happens with LaDainian Tomlinson over the next week, the Chargers are searching for a running back in this year's draft.

The Chargers and Tomlinson's agent will meet here this weekend to discuss a restructured contract. Whether that deal is worked out and Tomlinson stays in San Diego for 2009, it is clear the icon's days are limited to the point that a new starter is expected at tailback in 2010, at the latest.

Whether the Chargers jump early or late to find LT's heir is not known yet. But this draft is believed to be rich in running backs, and the Chargers have in recent years found Michael Turner (fifth round) and Sproles (fourth) on the second day.

“I like them,” General Manager A.J. Smith said of this year's class of backs. “There's a lot of them. There are a bunch of guys who can help us. We don't need a Hall of Fame running back. You need a guy who can help you win championships.

“You don't go out and draft a Hall of Fame running back. They become Hall of Fame running backs on their own merit. You go out and draft championship-level running backs. In the early stages, from what I see, there are championship-level running backs out there.”

The running backs eligible for the draft arrived here Thursday for the NFL Scouting Combine and had their first round of quick interviews that night. Friday, they underwent a litany of medical tests and were scheduled to have more formal interviews with individual teams that night. Running backs will work out Sunday.

All five of the top running backs in this year's draft are underclassmen, which means teams got the first verified measurables (height, weight) on them Friday morning.

Should the Chargers decide one of the top running backs is too good to pass up, all five could be available when the Chargers exercise the 16th pick in the first round.

While Georgia's Knowshon Moreno and Chris Wells of Ohio State are considered the top two prospects – Moreno, instinctive and elusive even inside, and the physical Wells – UConn's Donald Brown is seen as possibly moving up, LeSean McCoy of Pitt is considered a first-round talent and Iowa back Shonn Greene's mix of size and speed has him projected no lower than early second round.

While there are indications the Chargers will move on a running back sooner rather than later, the Chargers do have other holes to fill (offensive line and safety) and could wait until the draft's second day to take someone such as Jeremiah Johnson of Oregon, Andre Brown of North Carolina State or Glenn Coffee of Alabama.

Teams have proven that solid backs can be found outside the first round.
    Of the 16 NFL players who rushed for 1,000 yards in 2008, just half were former first-round picks. Two were second-rounders, two were third-rounders, one a fourth, one a fifth, one a seventh and one undrafted.

Another eight teams had leading rushers in 2008 that were originally drafted in the third round or later, and four rookies drafted after the first round led their teams in rushing last season. Rookies Steve Slaton (third round) and Matt Forte (second round) ranked sixth and seventh in the league in rushing last season.

“We saw a number of running backs last year come in our league and play at a very high level,” Houston General Manager Rick Smith said. “I think that's because teams understand what they're looking for in the draft and then let the (player's) athleticism take over.”

John Spanos, the Chargers' director of college scouting, acknowledged running backs “come in all shapes and sizes” and can be found throughout the draft.

Of course, vision, speed and footwork are important. But Spanos said the No. 1 thing the Chargers look at in a draftable running back is production in college. He noted that when the Chargers had Tomlinson, Turner and Sproles on the roster they possessed three of the most productive running backs in college football over the past decade. Tomlinson led the NCAA in rushing in 1999 and 2000, Turner was second in '02 and in '03 was second to Sproles.

From this year's class, Brown led all Division I runners with 2,083 yards.

Among the dozen teams Brown met with for 15 minutes Thursday night was the Chargers, and he had another meeting scheduled with them. The Chargers have not met with all the running backs they will eventually interview. There are two months of pro days and visits once everyone leaves Indiana.

“You just have to keep producing,” Brown said. “You have to have a great week at the combine, have good interviews and go out and run fast.”

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: Acee... stirrin' the pot again...

Wait'll S4B and RIP get a look at this article... :lol:

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    [youtube]5z5tuovPTqQ[/youtube]
    [youtube]6IvvhjERrV0[/youtube]

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Shonn Greene:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Knowshon Moreno baby

6. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    "We don't need a Hall of Fame running back. You need a guy who can help you win championships."

:icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :tounge:*FLAME WARNING* :tounge:

I have followed the SEC and Moreno is over rated. Everyone is saying he is LT when it comes to style and receptions but he has never had more than 4 receptions in a game. He is more like Sproles than he is LT. We do not need two Sproles. Sproles will not be an effective change of pace back if they have a similar pace. We need a larger bulldozing back and a Sproles type back. I think AJ has a love affair with the Steelers organization and he will go with the Bettis style back in the later rounds.

I think this argument is pointless because ....

#1 he should be gone at 16
    #2 I believe AJ will not take a RB with the first pick.
    #3 If LT is restructured by the draft there is no way in hell we take a RB i the first round.

8. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    With the way Norv has been using the running game (or not using it) I wouldn't think we'd want to waste a #16 overall on a RB. Especially with a draft deep in RBs.

Also a #16 on a RT or RG? Nah. Maybe round 2, 3, 4.

With #16 I'm guessing the best available player at DE, ILB, Safety, DT.

And if we want to win a Lombardi we need to stop the run and the pass.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't know who S4B is but it's obvious that the lap dog is still in heat.
    Would one of you please do the honor?!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This kid william beatty 6'6" 310 pounder o-lineman from Uconn is very athletic and looks naturally sturdy built. I wonder if we might try and get a 2nd rounder and get him. I'm guessing he'll go early in the second round. So we won't have much of a chance. http://nflmocks.com/2009/01/22/mocks...illiam-beatty/ This is what I saw as well. He is very athletic. Moves about as well as anyone i've ever seen.

The more I think about it we should trade down and get a 2nd rounder. Landing a really good d-lineman and o-lineman is possible with this draft if we did that. We've been yelling it for years. But we need better line studs.

Edit. Okay as of right now. trading down later in round 1 and landing ot william beatty with a later 1st rounder and getting a 2nd rounder which we then land d-tackle ron brace. http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...ace_ron01.html

As of now I think thats about as good as we could do. And I think these two huge guys could make us better. Still got to find a better saftey though.

11. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    F*ck That!

12. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Gotta keep Philip Rivers standing, though, and a stud OT at #16 would help the Bolts sustain longer drives-- hence improving the Time of Possession figure-- and keep the ball out of the opponents' hands.

Not saying that DE, DT, and ILB aren't important, but no way would I want a lesser rated player at #16 if a higher rated OT is there.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    That's OK, it's pretty obvious to everyone else on the forum who that is. :lol:

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

Well we have to find someone who can get us 2 Yards on the ground when we need it!

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    rainman is so wise~