1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers area of needs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    First team offense:

QB: Philip Rivers
    RB: Brandon Oliver
    FB: David Johnson
    WR: Keenan Allen
    WR: Malcolm Floyd
    TE: Antonio Gates
    LT: King Dunlap
    LG: Orlando Franklin
    OC: Chris Watt
    RG: Johnnie Troutman
    RT: DJ Fluker

First Team Defense:

RE: Corey Liuget
    NT: Sean Lissemore
    LE: Kendall Reyes
    ILB: Donal Butler
    ILB: Manti T'eo
    OLB: Melvin Ingram
    OLB: Jeremiah Attaochu
    CB: Brandon Flowers
    CB: Jason Verrett
    FS: Eric Weddle
    SS: Jahleel Addae

No.1 Team Need: RB

Brandon Oliver did an alright job filling in last year, but it was clear that he couldn't fill the bell cow role, The Chargers ranked 31st in Rushing last year, part of that was due to the ever rotating offensive line while the other part is due to there not being a true, elite RB in the backfield once Mathews went down. Oliver and Woodhead are great complimentary backs with true home run potential, but the Chargers need a guy who can run every down and take all the pressure off of Rivers. To put in perspective out of 289 first down completions 214 were passes to the 75 that were rushes. I feel this position will be addressed early in the draft.

No.2 Team Need: DL

I didn't want to single out one specific position on this one but I greatly feel it would be most beneficial to plug in a NT and move Lissemore to the LE position, The Chargers once again went into the season with a tweener at the Nose and got pushed around heavily which lead to the team ranking 29th in Rushing yards allowed. Putting in a true power pig to take on double coverage would allow one guy to most likely always be free whether its a OLB, ILB, SS, or DE to stop the run or generate the pass rush.

No.3 Team Need: OLB

Staying on the Defense The Chargers need some help getting to the QB, Melvin Ingram has shown nothing warranting his draft position and while I love his motor and energy, I feel he may be better suited switching to the strong side. Attaochu has showed promise in his little small sample size, both were limited by injuries and I'll be damned if Williams is our 3rd rotational LB. This position needs to be filled.

Mock Draft:

Rd1 (17): DL Malcolm Brown 6'2" 319 lbs.

He's a tackle off the snap but turns into an edge rusher once he sheds his blocker, Brown would ultimately take care of 2 of the great needs, someone who can plug up the run game as well as attack the QB if ask. He and Liuget would be a force against any and all guards and centers in the league.

Rd2 (48): RB Jay Ajayi 6'0" 210 lbs.

Ajayi has the ability to make a huge play every time the ball is in his hands. He a one cut, down hill runner with great vision. Anyone who has seen the Charger play the past 10 years can tell you that this team looks a lot better when there is a consistent run game. I'm just hoping Ajayi is still around when the Chargers pick at 48

Rd3 (83): OLB Lorenzo Mauldin 6'3" 259 lbs

Very high character guy, doesn't quit on plays. Could come in and be a situational pass rusher as well as drop into coverage and help in the run game.

• Like Like x 3
  2. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm all for M. Brown in the first - he is a foundational player. In an ideal world, Carrethers and Lissmore handle the NT, and Liuget and Brown wreak havoc. But Brown also provides NT competition/backup, and can shift inside or outside in any of the hybrid schemes. Also, don't forget we have some DL "sophmores" who might step up also.

The only real complaint I have with TT so far is his inability to not only keep seven draft picks, but his inability to acquire additional draft picks. Next year he is going to need every one he can acquire.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    1: RG
    2: NT
    3: WR
    4: RB
    5: LB

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I was also interested in putting RT like a TJ Clemmings there and kicking Fluker to the inside, filling 2 areas of need at once, but opted to fix the Defense first

5. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Yeah I listed RG based on the projected roster to open the thread but im not sold on Fluker at RT either. If we were able to get a RT in draft and kick fluker inside to pair with franklin we'd instantly have one of the biggest baddest o lines in the league

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    No way we go into the season with Troutman and D.Brown as our starters. I think it's possible both NT/DL prospects Brown and Shelton to be gone. In which case we have a shot at Bud Dupree and can go Eddie Goldman/Jordan Philips in the 2nd and Tevin Coleman/David Johnson in the 3rd.