1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers backing off Kevin Burnett

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 28, 2011.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/27/chargers-back-burnett/

There probably is not enough left for Kevin Burnett, according to those familiar with the Chargers attempt to balance their needs with their wants.
    Those sources said Monday night that the inside linebacker who had a career year in 2010 was going to have to come down on his asking price to be in play for the Chargers. Separate sources said previously that price was more than $5 million a year. By Tuesday morning, after the Chargers had extended their budget slightly to make sure they got Weddle from the clutches of the Houston Texans, it had become virtually certain that Burnett will be playing elsewhere this season.
    However, Burnett's agent, Ricky Lefft, said Tuesday that no numbers had been exchanged recently, so the Chargers could not know what Burnett is presently seeking. Lefft said Tuesday he is expecting to still talk with the Chargers.

Thoughts?

2. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
  3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Interview I heard yesterday was that Burnett hadn't heard from the Chargers since Monday.. The numbers that were discussed were pre-lockout dollars and sounds like he was willing to listen. He also claimed he would rather sign a long term deal and stay in San Diego for his family sake. Not sure if this is just posturing but that is what he said.

Personally, I'd like to see them go after him since he is already with the club. I like the sound of Burnett & Spikes..

4. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Big loss, there is an argument that he was our 2nd best defensive player last year behind Garay. I'm not comfortable at all with starting Butler or Mouton, and Siler is way to slow to be anything other than a 2 down and goal line situational player.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Something is very weird here; it's not normal to have the sides saying not just opposing but diametrically opposite statements

7. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    That's why I get the feeling that Burnett may have been posturing during that interview. Just a gut feel anyway. Could be that I'm hungry also .. :D

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    AJ may be trying to get Burnett to drop his price before the negotiations start....... he knows that Kevin would like to stay in SD.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Burnett gave the defense some solid play last year, he knows the system and he say's he likes it in Dego. He doesn't have to be a superstar, just be consistent and he does that well. It would be a mistake to just let him walk without any negotiations
    taking place.