1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers begin “Raider Week”

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Sep 7, 2009

The Chargers labored on Labor Day, practicing in preparation for their first week of the regular season.

As the Chargers officially transitioned from preseason to regular season Monday, there was a different feeling in the air. There was a sense of anticipation with the opener just seven days away, an anticipation fueled by the opponent, the setting and the stage.

“It’s not hard to feel like that when it’s Week 1 and the Raiders,” running back LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] said.

The Chargers have spent time preparing for the Raiders throughout the spring and summer, but things were amped up a little as the team officially began “Raider Week.” The Chargers have won 11 straight against Oakland, and Tomlinson has rushed for more yards (1,906) and touchdowns (19) against the Raiders than any other opponent, but LT sees next week’s nightcap of the Monday Night Football double header as quite the challenge.

“I think they’re a team that’s on the up,” Tomlinson said. “They’ve added some players. Obviously Richard Seymour being there now, they’re going to be that much tougher. They scare me. We’re going to have to be ready to play.”

Quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] is 6-0 as a starter against the Raiders, and of the 53 players on the Chargers’ roster, only 10 have ever experienced a loss to Oakland during their San Diego tenures. Rivers was extremely complementary of Oakland’s speedy defense and, like Tomlinson, isn’t much for history lessons.

“Each game stands on its own. We’ve had a good streak going, but each game is new. Each year is new. We’re all 0-0 going into this season. Monday night, you really couldn’t ask for a better setting starting in the division against Oakland.”

Burnett practices

Chargers linebacker Kevin Burnett[​IMG], who left Friday’s preseason finale against the 49ers after suffering a stinger, was on the practice field Monday and doesn’t appear in danger of missing next week’s regular-season opener.

The Chargers won’t officially release an injury report for the opener until Thursday, but when they do, it’s expected to be a very short list.
    “I like the health situation with our football team,” Turner said. “We’ve been fortunate to get through preseason and be in the shape we’re in.”

On the End

Chargers defensive end Jacques Cesaire[​IMG], who is listed atop the depth chart at right defensive end, didn’t appear in a preseason game due to a calf injury, but Turner said the seventh-year pro is on pace to play Monday.

“Based on what I saw today (he’ll play), but it’s a day-to-day process with a guy who hasn’t had a chance to go through a preseason,” Turner said. “We’ve got a plan and we’ve got some things we’ll look at during the week, but I feel good about our right defensive end.”

Turner said Travis Johnson[​IMG], whom the team acquired via trade last week, is also part of that plan at right end.

New Faces

The current 53-man roster includes 11 players who weren’t on the active roster at the conclusion of last season. The list includes six draft picks, an undrafted free agent (safety C.J. Spillman[​IMG]), two players who ended last year on the team’s practice squad (offensive lineman Brandyn Dombrowski[​IMG] and defensive lineman Ogemdi Nwagbuo[​IMG]) and two veteran acquisitions, linebacker Kevin Burnett and defensive end Travis Johnson.

The Chargers’ turnover was well below the league average of 15 players. Division rival Denver has 28 new players on their roster, while Detroit had the largest number of new faces with 31.

Far from satisfied

Chargers defensive end Ogemdi Nwagbuo’s first name is Nigerian for “My time will come.” Two days after the San Diego native had his dream come true by making the Chargers’ 53-man roster, Nwagbuo refused to draw the parallel between his name and the weekend’s events.

“I’m not buying any of that,” Nwagbuo said. “I’ve got to work hard to make sure I make it to another day. It was special this weekend, but it’s just the start.”

Nwagbuo, who grew up a Chargers fan, has closely followed teammates Jamal Williams[​IMG] and Jacques Cesaire throughout their careers.
    “It’s incredible to get to be playing along side them,” Nwagbuo said.

A little insight?

Until a couple weeks ago, Monday’s opener carried a little extra flavor for the Chargers: they’d get to face former San Diego fullback Lorenzo Neal. That plan was spoiled when Neal was released, so LT joked Monday that he might be able to get a little help from his good friend.

“I was looking forward to giving him a big hug before the game,” Tomlinson said. “Maybe I can get some secrets from him.”

Blue streak

The Chargers have won eight games in a row when wearing powder blue jerseys, and they’ll be in the popular color Monday night.

Monday’s opener will serve as one of the three “Legacy Games” the Chargers will participate in this season. San Diego will wear replica jerseys of the 1963 AFL champion squad. Officials for Monday’s game will wear orange and white uniforms like the ones the AFL referees donned.

San Diego’s winning streak in powder blue includes victories over the Raiders in each of the last two years. Monday night, the Raiders will wear white jerseys at home for just the second time in franchise history. The first was in a 28-18 loss to the Chargers last October.

2. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't think I like the fact that L.T. said:

"They scare me." :icon_wtf:

Come on dude. Just get out there and kill the Jokeland Raiders with confidence!

:turdspuke:

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    No bulletin board material :yes: lull those turds into a false sense of security and then BAM!!!! Face in you FACE Raidahs :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I can appreciate the respect LT is giving the Faiders. I believe the Faiders will be second in the division this year and they probably are better than last year. I think LT's "scared" comment is just a way of demonstrating that the Chargers are not going to overlook anybody this year.

Later

5. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Just a quote - he will do his real talking on the field

6. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    LT is going to have a huge game...

also very interested in seeing Ron's Defense. I am expecting a very vanilla gameplan though

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Where the hell are all the Raiders trolls? :icon_huh:

I didn't realize idiots could tire of embarrassing themselves... :lol:

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Thi is the time of year my anxiety level soars through the roof. I can't wait for this game to get under way and by the time it kicks off it will be late here on the east coast. I'm getting pumped for some Charger football and a win!!!!!!!!!!

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I knwo right? Even with the Merriman stuff we haven't has a Donkey OR Faider troll... :icon_eek: *knocks on wood*

10. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Give it time. It's only Tuesday so they're probably just getting out of jail after the long holiday weekend...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Wow, to think that only Jamal, LT, and Binn (Jammer maybe?) are the only three players on this team to have ever experienced a loss to the Faiders.

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    they are tired of having to deal with me!

If you want to stir a turd up, go over to Raidersfan.net, and ask them if they have ever cried after a loss :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    You read my mind... :abq2: :flag::abq1:

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
  15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I will be disappointed if the Chargers don't score over 40 and keep the Raiduhs to under 10.