1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers begin to prepare for Steelers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Courtesy of the San Diego PR staff, here are various playoff notes and quotes from Chargers coach Norv Turner on Sunday as the team prepares to face Pittsburgh in the AFC divisional playoffs next Sunday.

Under Turner, the Chargers are 12-1 in December and in January. They are 3-1 under Turner in the playoffs.

Turner said star tight end Antonio Gates did not aggravate his high ankle sprain Saturday night. Gates is making solid improvement, Turner said. Gates had a game-high eight catches against the Colts.

Turner said defensive lineman Luis Castillo may be limited in practice some early this week with a groin injury. He is expected to play. The same goes for center Nick Hardwick who has a shoulder issue.

Here's what Turner had to say about running back LaDainian Tomlinson who didn't play in the second half against the Colts because of a groin injury. Turner said Tomlinson didn't get any worse but he isn't improved either.

Turner on if Tomlinson can get better this week:

"To be honest with you, I don't know. That sounds like the question I was asking about two hours ago. 'How much better can he get? Is time a factor? If he didn't play this week would it be better if we were fortunate enough to win, would it be better in two weeks where you give him a realistic chance to be at his best?' It's not fair to him. He wanted to go. Anyone that questions his mental toughness, his physical toughness or his competitiveness from a year ago...you don't do what he's done through his career...he's one of the great competitors I've been around. We've got to make the right decision and I think LT has to / wants to make the right decision too. So that's why we'll evaluate as the week goes on."

Turner on if there is a concern about Darren Sproles wearing down a bit doing everything?

"We've got him packed in ice back in the training room now. We'll let him out on Friday. Yeah there's a concern. He was absolutely exhausted. I know if we had gave him the ball one more time he would have done anything he could to get in the end zone. He's an unbelievable guy and we'll get him a lot of rest this week. Michael Bennett, we'll get him ready to go. He's going to be able to do a little bit more than he did last week. We're down to the point where everyone's going to do whatever it takes and we're going to have to be at our best and we're going to have to do everything from a standpoint of coaching and preparing that we can. Our guys are up to that challenge I believe."

Turner on what kind of game he is expecting with Pittsbrugh?

"The first thing I did, there were a couple things I did, I was talking to John Ramsdell, our quarterbacks coach, and he had their defensive stats and it's either first or second in either category. Yards given up, yards per play, points. Everything involved. They went 15-straight games I think and Tennessee finally got over 300 yards. No one's gotten many yards and no one's gotten many points. You've got to contend with that. The next thing I did was look at the weather report and you know you're going to have to contend with that. We're a ways away. That 10-day report doesn't tell a lot. That will be a factor in how you play the game and when you get in those games obviously running the ball and playing defense are critical. We did a great job defensively back there. We gave up a lot of yards but we had a great goal line stand and we held them out. We had some missed opportunities on offense. As I said before the Indianapolis game, I believe we're a lot better team now than we were six weeks ago or eight weeks ago. That's going to be a part of it. You're in the playoffs and you're playing a team that's got home field advantage and is an outstanding team. We're going to have to be at our best."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1273/Chargers-begin-to-prepare-for-Steelers.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Steelers are goin down this time :yes:

3. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Great to hear that Gates did not do any damage on Saturday. We will need him big time in the short passing game...I'm assuming the weather will be bad.:yes:

Damn shame about LT...I don't get a good feeling about his health!:no:

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    no word on Keading?

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Based on what I saw and what Turner said, yeah LT will not play. The only way he will is if LT all of a sudden demands to be made active.

7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    That is probably true...LT will do his best for the team! I'm confident that he will not play if he feels he can't. This is the second time he has tested an injury in hopes to play and then conceded that he would only hurt the teams chances by staying in. He is team first all the way!:yes:

8. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Good news on Gates.

I would be surprised if LT plays this weekend...it just does not sound very good.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are persistent rumors that there is tendon damage where the groin muscle attaches to the hip. Recovery is six to eight weeks minimum for that and inactivity is practically mandate because the instability can cause micro fractures in the hip bone if the tendon separates. The groin muscle is actually five or six separate muscles. As painful as it is, recovery is nearly always simply rest and then reconditioning. If the tendon needs work, it can be scoped and the recovery will take about twice as long. He'll be back, but probably not till training camp.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The rest of our RB stable better be ready to rock. :yes: