1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers - Bengals Game Blacked Out in Southern California

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...lifornia/cd743726-748b-4ad9-9482-90395c653cc1

Per the National Football League’s long-standing policy that requires all games not sold out 72 hours prior to kickoff to be blacked out in the local market, the game between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, Dec. 1 at 1:25 pm PT at Qualcomm Stadium will not be televised live in Southern California. The NFL’s policy affects all telecasts, including cable and satellite.

More than 5,300 general tickets remain available at the Chargers’ ticket office at Qualcomm Stadium Gate C. Plenty of Club seats, many of the best seating locations in the stadium, also are available. The ticket office is open weekdays 8-5 pm and Saturday 10-4 pm. Fans also can go to www.Chargers.com or call 800-745-3000 to get tickets.

Fans can listen to the radio broadcast on the team’s official website or terrestrial radio on Rock 105.3 and XTRA Sports 1360 in San Diego, and KTLK 1150 AM in Los Angeles and Orange County. Josh Lewin and Hank Bauerwill call the game and Mike Costa will report from the field. All Chargers games are also broadcast in Spanish on XHFG 107.3 FM in San Diego and KWKW 1330 AM in Los Angeles with Jorge Villanueva calling the play-by-play and Dante Lazcano offering game analysis.

The Chargers Radio Network also includes KATY 101.3 FM in Temecula and the Inland Empire; KNWH 1250 AM in the Yucca Valley; KNWZ 94.3 FM in Palm Springs; KAVL 610 AM in Palmdale and Lancaster; KSPA 1510 AM in Ontario, Inland Empire and Rancho Cucamonga; KRAK 910 AM in Victorville and Hesperia; ESPN Radio 1100 AM in Las Vegas; KXO 107.5 FM in the Imperial Valley and Yuma, Arizona, and Sirius Satellite Radio.

In addition, the game will be broadcast nationally by Westwood One Radio. Dave Sims and Mark Malone will call the action.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    That really sucks, bandwidth is gonna be a bit slim I reckon.

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Per the National Football League’s long-standing policy that requires all games not sold out 72 hours prior to kickoff to be blacked out in the local market, the game between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, Dec. 1 at 1:25 pm PT at Qualcomm Stadium will not be televised live in Southern California. The NFL’s policy affects all telecasts, including cable and satellite.

More than 5,300 general tickets remain available at the Chargers’ ticket office at Qualcomm Stadium Gate C. Plenty of Club seats, many of the best seating locations in the stadium, also are available. The ticket office is open weekdays 8-5 pm and Saturday 10-4 pm. Fans also can go to www.Chargers.com or call 800-745-3000 to get tickets.

http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...lifornia/cd743726-748b-4ad9-9482-90395c653cc1

4. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Mods please merge this one with the other thread!

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    No need to have a game day thread then, I guess. ;)

6. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    If there's one advantage that being a Charger fan on the east coast gets you, its not having to deal with blackouts anymore.

Question though: if the Charger game is blacked out in SoCal but you live in the region and have NFL Sunday Ticket, are you still unable to watch it?

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Nope

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Game is blacked out on Sunday Ticket too.

9. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +521
    This is a case where Nope means Yup :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Yup

11. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I hope there are not many games in that time slot so that the Red Zone channel shows a lot of the game. I just checked there are four games being played during that time period, unfortunately the network likes to fill in time during the latter games with hi lights from the morning games.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  12. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +295
    Yeah..it's crazy. You would think that with the best weather in the country they wouldn't have a problem filling seats.....but then you have places like Green Bay, where there is a waiting list for season tickets to freeze their asses off in the winter months.....and sell out even when they suck.....you gotta respect that fan loyalty I guess.

I'm a Diego native transplant., so this is the one time to be fortunate not to live there. No black-out here in Iowa with the Sunday Ticket. :cool:

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I'm not surprised by the BO but did think an extension would be granted due to the holiday falling in the middle of the week. Cheap arsed Natti fans wouldn't budge out of their frozen environment to soak up a bit of that sunny southern California weather, go figure.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,617
    It has nothing to do with the weather in SD and everything to do with their record for the past few years. If the Chargers had a better record right now that stadium would be full for sure. If they want to avoid blackouts they need to win more, simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    Keeping Norv and AJ for (at least) that 1 more year has cost them with the fanbase bigtime. It will take another year I reckon before the 'man on the street' will go back and give the Spanos their money.

Keeping those 2 that last year was Deano giving the fans the bird.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Chargers - breaking streaks since 1960. :tup:

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +223
    How do you figure the Jags and Bucs sold out their stadiums. Seeing as we are the first team to blackout a game this year. Then again it could be something to do with selling out 100% before being seen on tv that makes charger games tough to sell out.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Actually the Jags have one of the worst sell out records of any NFL franchise. I believe the Bucs have also struggled in this regard.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    The Jags use tarps to cover many of their seats, just like the Raiders. The Raiders, in addition to covering about 10,000 or so seats with tarps, use the "85% rule",where the NFL says they just have to sell 85% of their available seats in order to lift a blackout. Even with all of that, the Raiders barely make it. The Bucs are using the 85% rule too. Last season, every game was blacked out.

Now if they sell more than 85%, the NFL gets a bigger chunk of money for every seat sold over that percentage.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    The Jags also had some sort of partnership with Anheiser Busch, where AB bought up the remaining tickets necessary to avoid the blackout at least once this year and several times in previous years.

The lack of sellout at the Q has to do with a good number of things - the past several years (not so much the record so much as how that record came to be - i.e. the team seemingly manufacturing new ways to shoot themselves in the feet and lose) were just the straw that broke the camel's back. The fact that the Q is an absolute dump, especially by comparison to much more modern stadiums that fans in both Diego and your loathed Northern neighbors (which include me) have been exposed to in other sports (Petco, Staples Center, even The Big A in Anaheim), definitely factors in - especially when you consider the price. Steadily increasing ticket prices (yes, adjust for Cost of Living when comparing the price to say what Jags fans pay for tickets - some as low as $20/seat) and the recently increased parking expense (particularly for tailgaters).

To be honest, the team reestablishing a winning culture is only half the formula to making blackouts not being an issue. If Chargers fans want to sellout in the nature that teams like Baltimore, Seattle, and Kansas City do (let alone Green Bay and Washington who are wait-listing season tickets), it's going to take a concerted effort from ownership, the city/county, and outreach to surrounding pockets of fans (be it on the outskirts of the county or in neighboring counties). Some metro areas have the benefit of being, mind you a term that gets thrown around way too much by people trying to sound like they know what they're talking about (Holy condescension, Batman!), "football towns." The proper definition for that term though is a town wherein, aside from church, the there is a very large population for whom football is their other religion. It tends to be cultivated more at the college football level because they have a large ready-made fanbase: 10's of 1000's of students and then even more local alumni, so rather than promoting the sale of tickets, the team/athletic department can focus on promoting the individual game to the fans (i.e. rallies, walk-overs, etc.).

Now yes, for most other communities the key to selling out lies in securing the "casual fan" demographic (we all know this), but that means making that person feel as though they're getting the bang for their buck. Yes, winning helps this, but winning generally only works for getting them in the door the first couple times, you want to keep them coming back... they have to feel like they're missing out if they aren't at the next game, and the next. You build that community of fans such that even if the team loses you still have one hell of a time and can't wait to go back again... hopefully the next time to see the Chargers win.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    Im suprised alot more people didnt buy tickets after the chiefs game.
    I wasnt going to go but after seeing our magic in KC I bought a couple tickets just hoping that in some small way it could help keep the magic flowin

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Well put. But the Redskins have been removing seats from FedEx field :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/redskins-remove-4000-seats-from-fedex-field/

FedEx Field now holds 79,000. Green Bay is probably the only team that could expand their stadium to hold 100,000 fans INSIDE (unlike Jerry Jones, who counts people watching outside on big screens) and still have a huge waiting list.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2000. I think (fuzzy memory that I have) I paid $650 per season, per seat back then. Now it's $900. I was lucky that my seat prices were among the few sections that didn't go up this past season.

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    My first year as a season ticket holder, it was $100.00 for the entire season. That's $10.00 a ticket per game. And I had to make payments, I could not afford those prices at that time.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    If the Chargers had gone for the 85% sellout offer that the NFL allowed (and other struggling teams took advantage of), they wouldn't have this problem. Spanos turned down the offer, in hopes of making more money, and this is the result. In the end, it just hurts the franchise, because as the old saying goes...... out of sight, out of mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Honestly... I would have season tickets again this year if I could afford it but I just can't. I don't blame anyone for putting attending a live game lower on the priority totem pole - especially considering how run-down the stadium is. The only reason I'm willing to pay as much as I have to for tickets to a game is b/c I love my team and love tailgating with great people - not everyone has that incentive under the current conditions.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    This just proves we arent real fans to hardcore transplant fans who live here in San Diego! :D

27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    The only teams taking advantage of that 85% rule are the Raiders and Bucs. With the Raiders, when you factor in the tarp coverage and the 85% rule, they only have to sell 38,250 (approx.) and they struggle to do that.
    Not sure what a considered sellout is for Tampa. But from what I've seen on TV, their sellouts look worse than our blackouts.
    Miami isn't doing the 85% rule, so they must have partnered with some company like Jacksonville did to buy up the remaining seats. Their stadium looks half full too.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Precisely my point....... teams like the Raiders don't have to sell nearly as many tickets to sellout, but all people will hear is that the Chargers are the first team to not sellout this season. The national perception is that we have the worst fan support, when that is not the reality of the situation.

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,355
    True. No one looks at overall attendance.

30. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +295
    Look at those lucky bastards down in El Centro and Yuma..... bengals game.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1