1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Best Team Under the Cap!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, May 28, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    LINK

Some teams ready for an uncapped season, some not

Teams prepared to weather the uncapped storm

1. San Diego Chargers: The Chargers have done one of the best jobs of locking up starters in case of an uncapped year. The core group of the team is still young. San Diego has multiple starters who have been to the Pro Bowl and only four would qualify for free agency in 2010 -- guard Mike Goff, quarterback Philip Rivers, wide receiver Chris Chambers and defensive end Igor Olshansky. As long as he comes back successfully from knee reconstruction, Rivers won't be allowed to hit the market. His contract runs out after the 2009 season, and clearly the Chargers will either sign him to a long-term deal or, in the worst-case scenario, franchise him. The Chargers believe they have at least a two-year window to win a Super Bowl. An uncapped year in 2010 won't affect that window.

AND OUR FAVORITE CHEATERS.....

Teams with concerns for the 2010 uncapped year

1. New England Patriots As well-prepared as the Patriots are for anything, they do have to worry about an uncapped year. Tom Brady is signed through 2010, so they don't have to worry about him yet. Nor are the next two seasons cause for concern. They would have 19 of the 22 starters locked up for next season if linebacker Jerod Mayo wins a starting job as a rookie.

However, several players could qualify for free agency in 2010. Hardest hit could be New England's defense. Defensive linemen Richard Seymour, Jarvis Green and Vince Wilfork are up in 2010, as are linebackers Mike Vrabel and and Tedy Bruschi. (i.e. The Over the Hill Gang....)

Safety Rodney Harrison is in the last year of his contract.

The Patriots have one of the oldest starting defenses in football and it might be hard to find a lot of replacements in a limited free-agent market over the next two seasons. (YES!) On offense, tight end Ben Watson could hit free agency in 2010. Guard Steve Neal is a free agent after this season.

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What good timing for Rodney that his final contract year comes in his last year in the league. Neal is from the area. He might make some good depth if we're in need and might like to finish his career near home.

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I would love to have the opportunity to steal Wilpoke away from the Cheaters.

4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Where does it say that we love them:icon_huh:

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :icon_banana: :tup: AJ is Gawd. :tup: :icon_banana:

6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    just hurry up and win the freekin trophy already, I'm not getting any younger:icon_sad:

nice to hear we're in good shape though

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Obviously not a reference to many of us regular posters... :unsure:

:lol:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Wilfork you mean? THat'd be frakking awesome

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Pretty much sums it up correctly. :icon_wink:

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Goff is a FA after this season. I think Igor after 2009 (but maybe after this year due to playing time clauses that voids 6th season). Chambers contract runs through 2009.

11. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yeah, I just saw another list and Igor is a UFA after 2008. I hope they re-sign him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Igor to nose tackle. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Maybe a bit too lanky in spite of his obvious bulk for nose. Still, can you imagine this powerhouse putting on some nose tackle pounds, maybe in his lower body, to go along with his upper body mass. He could carry 350 if he wanted to at 6'6". I second that emotion :tup:

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'll almost guarantee they will resign him. He's been a solid contributor, and has no respect for the Cheats (which I like). I heard a dumb rumor on AM 1360 here in San Diego about trading Igor to get Jason Taylor. I almost choked on my coffee when I heard that proposal! Igor is the man, and I do think AJ might move him to inside to play nose but I don't know if he's fast enough. I mean Jamal is just a FREAK. BIG man that can motor. I still remember him running down that RB in the Cincy game at Cincy where we were down like 27-7 at the half. Jamal is just a BEAST. You don't see big men like him running down people like that!

[​IMG]

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Igor is one of MTL's favorite players. :yes:

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I Grok. :nana_rasta:

Just needs some avoir du pois to flesh things out.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Definitely would need a few more pounds, but the guy is very strong & has the attitude to play in the middle. I could see Igor tossing centers around & tying up double teams. He's no Jamal, but not many are.

18. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

AJ's greatness shines through, rest of the division is mediocre because of themselves not our fault they stink!

Stan :rivers17:

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    We need to get you into rehab. :lol:

20. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Originally Posted by eldwin
    Igor sucks!!

This reminds me of an old argument. Does the gravity of a large body that gobbles up smaller moving bodies do it because of its mass or because it sucks? Personally, I don't see the difference. A bigger Igor at Nose Tackle would do as well if he was like a black hole or a plunger.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not sure that I like the sound of him being a black hole or a plunger. :no: :lol:

How about a death star?? :unsure:

22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Geez, could he get that round and still play?

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The LBs can just launch him like a big bowling ball. :lol: