1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers break camp; RG still up for grabs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Aug. 27, 2009
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]

SAN DIEGO (AP) -The San Diego Chargers officially broke training camp on Thursday, with two exhibition games still to play and at least one position battle to be decided.

Coach Norv Turner said the battle at right guard between Kynan Forney and rookie Louis Vasquez remains competitive and a decision probably won't be made until the week of the regular-season opener.

Turner also said he likes the addition of free agent Kevin Burnett at inside linebacker, where the Chargers are expected to have a rotation that will include Stephen Cooper and Tim Dobbins.

Breaking camp doesn't mean a change of scenery as it does for other teams. The Chargers hold their summer workouts at their regular-season headquarters.

[/FONT]

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

No Shiit!

Thanks for the insight Norv!!!

:lol:

3. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I haven't been impressed by either one of the so far. maybe we pick somebody up in the free agent market or trade if need be, the window of opportunity is closing so we better do it this year:unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    With Rivers signed and our depth, our window isn't going to close that soon. AJ has the roster set up like shark's teeth right now. If we sign Merriman, we'll be looking pretty good for a while. I figure we will sign VJ as well. It appears to me the Chargers will be consistently competitive, with a Lombardi only a matter of time.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers conclude strong camp

Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 27, 2009

As the Chargers officially broke training camp Thursday, Head Coach Norv Turner expressed his satisfaction with the way his third camp with the club went.

Two-a-days wrapped up Tuesday, Wednesday was the last night players were required to stay in the team hotel and Chargers camp officially broke Friday.
    “It’s another training camp in the books,” running back LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] said, “and I’m happy about that.”
    Head Coach Norv Turner was happy Thursday as well, more for what his team accomplished during the 28-day period than the fact that it came to an end.
    “I was very impressed with the way our guys handled it,” Turner said. “I’ve talked about it a lot: there’s a maturity level on this team that is outstanding. I think there’s a real seriousness about what they want to get done. Not so much from a big-picture standpoint, but really from a day-to-day standpoint, drill to drill, coming out and working hard to get better.”
    Players agreed that their 2009 training camp had a different feel to it, in part because of where the team is at mentally, which created a bit of a different approach. It was also different because the ongoing repairs to a drainage pipe at Chargers Park prevented fans from attending practices on a daily basis.
    In past years, the players welcomed the energy fans brought to practice, and while the players missed the day-to-day interaction with the fans, they were able to keep motivated during practices that were often more quiet.
    “Some people could sense a little that we’d miss the fans not being out there to kind of keep us going,” quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] said. “We always appreciated it when the fans were here but our guys, we didn’t need any hoopla to get going. We got geared up.”
    Turner’s third camp as the Chargers’ head coach was one that players described as extremely physical and competitive.
    “If we had been keeping score every day (between the offense and defense), it would have been really close,” Rivers said.
    Ultimately, it was one that delivered the kind of production Turner would hope for from a largely veteran group that has seen a tremendous amount of continuity from a personnel standpoint through three playoff wins and three tough playoff losses in the last three years.
    “They’ve been together and they’ve been through a lot of things the last three or four years,” Turner said. “Hopefully you’re stronger, you’re better because of it and you grow because of it.”

Three quarters for starters

As he said earlier in the week, Turner plans to play his starters up to three quarters in Saturday’s preseason game against Atlanta. He has yet to decide if running back LaDainian Tomlinson will participate, however.

“He’s gotten a lot of good things done, so we’ll see where we are as an entire group, see where we are along the offensive line and make a decision when we get down there,” Turner said.
    The head coach also said that the Georgia Dome’s artificial surface “certainly does play into it.”

Williams, Gates rest

Defensive tackle Jamal Williams[​IMG] and tight end Antonio Gates[​IMG], both of whom were given the day off to rest, were two of a handful of players who didn’t practice Thursday. Linebacker Jyles Tucker[​IMG] (hamstring) and defensive end Vaughn Martin[​IMG] (groin) also sat.

Work to do

Although camp is in the books, Turner and his staff still have plenty of decisions to make, and there are plenty of players who still have huge opportunities to help them make those decisions.
    “These next two games will have something to do with where we end up in terms of starters, end up with backups, end up with sub package guys,” Turner said. “There are some things I’m really interested in seeing the next two weeks and there are some guys who have gotten to play a fair amount of snaps are going to get to play a whole lot more snaps and it will weigh on and make the determination of how much they play on special teams, as backup guys or if they make the football team.”
    The competition throughout training camp was extremely strong, and Turner said Thursday that the battle for the starting right guard position is “a very, very competitive spot and a decision probably won’t be made until we get ready to play (Oakland).”

6. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I think it will be Forney, but I'm hoping for Vasquez, dude is a beast...just has to get the mental part of the game down.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Vasquez can basically win it or lose it this weekend in atlanta

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I see it similar, but this season is something to proof - the team has put a statement and not come short.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I think Norv is really looking for a physical Mauler type, he keeps referencing "physicality" in interviews. This gives Vasquez the chance: he weighs more and can "lean" on defenders with better physicality.I won't mind if Forney wins out, he was a aprt of some great lines in Atlanta under Knapp.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I know this isn't a popular theory because unity is extremely important in an OL unit, but I've said all along that Forney will start & at some point will be replaced by Vasquez. I said that because I think Vasquez is the guy, he just needs reps. His lost TC time slowed his progress or else the decision might be clearer.

Now Forney is injured. We'll get by Oakland with him playing hurt, but Baltimore could be another story. I think that Vasquez will take 2-4 weeks of season games before really being ready, but necessity could force him in sooner if Forney's neck is limiting his performance.

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm thinking that Oakland is the game we could afford to start Vasquez, if Forney is limited. Better to get his feet wet against them than the next three opponents. If Forney stays limited, he will atleast have some experience to build on.