1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers - Browns; Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Studs

The OL; they might've had initial trouble but they improved big time
    Keenan Allen; good game yet again, and keeps fighting
    Ladarius Green; so frustrating but when good he's so good
    Jerry Attaochu/Melvin Ingram; very good game among the pass rushers against a pretty good OL
    Patrick Robinson; he just steps up and does great
    Philip Rivers; when he's good he's good. And he showed some nice fight
    Danny Woodhead; I love MG but my God is he good
    Kendall Reyes; surprisingly good game

Middle Ground
    Josh Lambo; yeah he won the game....after the Browns saved his ***
    Brandon Flowers; made a few good plays but also played very stupidly and all of a sudden disappeared after being frustrated. Again

Duds
    Frank Reich/John Pagano; horrid gameplan and play calling
    Manti Te'o; if this idiot could tackle he'd be a top 20 LB easy
    Running up the middle with Melvin Gordon; keep wasting a good running back
    Mike Scifres; the end is near for the venerable punter
    Special Teams; another horrible game. Will someone be trained to replace KA as a returner PLEASE

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rivers ended the game with a QBR of 118.1
    McCown with 119.1

Teo for all the hate on him lead the team with 13 solo tackles, 2 for a loss.

Attaochu 2, Ingram 1.5, Weddle .5 Sacks... Those things that are not really super important but we all love to see our team create them...

Joke of the season... Chargers finally get a punt return. They have a net 5 yards on the season...

No studs. All duds. This team is not playing well enough all around. When they earn it, they can have studs, until then they are all still duds.

The D is tentative, and slow to the ball. The O is not on the same page and erratic. Special Teams, piss poor tackling, terrible angles, punt returns non-existent and KO returns... Well at least w

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    When is Jacoby back?

4. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Stud, PR17, first game without a pick..

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good point. End of the 8 or 9 game streak.

6. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Pretty much what I expected......if we were gonna win, it was gonna come down to the last minute. I love the win, but do I feel good about it moving forward....MEH....not really.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Seriously, Conc, how the hell is Rivers not a stud? 3/5 OL injured, 2/3 top WRs injured and he manages to have another huge game. Rivers made a bunch of great throws in that game.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If you want to call him a stud do so. I dont think any players are when yo barely pull it out against a team like the Browns.

• Like Like x 1
  9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That kind of reductive thinking just makes you look foolish. Every player does not need to perform poorly for the team to play poorly. Rivers made some incredible throws that won the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Duds for everyone.

Rivers got me so mad throwing away every other pass attempt.

Gordon was a no show in the 2nd half.

Defense was terrible aside from 4 coverage sacks.

Oline was putrid and McCoy and Reich are the worst HC/OC duo.

Weddle is old and overrated. I can't believe how many missed tackles.

Busts in Progress Watch List:

Manti Te'o
    Melvin Ingram
    Jason Verrett
    Jeremiah Attaochu
    Denzel Perryman

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Jeez that was goddamnawful performance esp on D. This was the Browns with Josh McFREAKIN Cown at QB and once again we make a journeyman QB look like an All Pro. Our D is so so soft and so made of glass.

Studs - fair play to the O line who were introduced to each other pregame. They started like sh1t but got it together enough to give Rivers enough time to do his thang.
    Danny Woodhead - he so gets it, always productive.

Duds - the D esp Butler, the D line, Te'o. Perryman simply has to start over Butler end of.
    Special teams, if not for (was it) 2011 or 12? this is the worst special teams in the history of the NFL. No kick coverage no returnability, a punter paid 3.6m looks past it. How the special teams coach is still in a job is something I don't understand.
    the injury bug, is it that we are conditioned to be soft (by the good weather, the relaxed attitude around Chargers Park, the acceptance of incompetence etc)?, is that why we are seeing so many injuries?

12. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Not sure who it was, but remember seeing a post of someone being "upset" that Rivers threw the ball away on a couple plays... In my head I was like "you cant please everyone". You throw it away, you get grilled, you take a sack you get grilled, you force a pick and you get roasted... smh...

13. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    There is no doubt that Rivers was significantly sharper in his performance yesterday against the Browns. I have been a vocal critic of his in the last 3 weeks, although not the one whom you may be referring to. Rivers did not dither yesterday, he didn't pump fake (bad idea with a terrible OL) and he was very crisp and accurate with his passes.

With the performance which we witnessed from the D yesterday, very few QBs in the league, outside of say its top 7, could have won us that game on Sunday!

14. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    All things considered including the patch work roster we could glue together this week, here are my studs and duds.

Studs:
    Tommy T --- Growing the pair to cut 'Nekkid Pics'
    Rivers, KA, M80, Woodhead, Ingram, Attouchu
    Corners that could finish the game. Travis Benjamin is a tough cover, and we kept him from getting over the top of us.

Mid Grade:
    Te'o - Finds his way to the ball but not a consistent or great tackler. He did have some tackles today though or slowed the runner down to let the team finish (Not intentionally, but its a team game)
    Weddle - Did okay all around.
    Butler and Perryman bout had okay games... Not sure why all the hate on Butler again. He did nothing special today, but I also dont really remember seeing him get run over.
    OL... Started shaky but finished strong.
    Reich: Not necessarily great playcalling by any means, but he finally started running spread formations to prevent defenses from declaring the will run right over our inept OL and kill our QB. Also unlike Cleveland who was getting pressure up the middle and dumping off the ball to their safety valves in the RB (Duke Johnson), we had a clear out plays where we allowed the WRs to clear and then drop the ball off to Woodhead. Not exactly a RB screen but similar. Helps the QB, helps the OL and makes the D hesitant. So for those 2 changes amongst 1 or 2 others, He moves out the Duds section. Still needs to find a way to utilize MG3 but we won and with Woodhead producing like he is, I cant be too mad at his limited touches if we not up more.

Duds
    Pagano- 1 positive was he finally started sending pressure up the middle more, but little to no in game adjustments to the checkdowns for duke johnson. I know we couldnt run more sub packages due to injuries, but he needed to find a way to prevent Butler and Te'o from being out on an island in obvious man coverage. We need to disguise our coverages more.
    Special Teams - primarily the Kick Coverage and Scifres being erratic. Also us having a lack of a runner on both Kickoffs and Punt Returns.
    Mike McCoy - Just get the damn team ready and more inspired... I feel we arent inspired until Rivers gets mad because we are trailing. Just have them come out the locker room mad and ready to hit someone in the mouth. There is too much talking around here... Time to punch the naysayers right in the chops!!!

Overall Team could be and should be better, but we found a way to win and when the Offense got going, we looked like a confident offense.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I saw it too. But the trow aways were good choices. Shows (IMHO) improvement of thinking and focus in coaching on protecting the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Yea, Rivers deserves some of his criticism and will own up to it even when its not all on him... All of that is fair criticism to take on as a leader, but I was just saying that in the Browns/Chargers game thread I remember seeing someone post why was Rivers throwing the ball away so much. (I'm not going back to see who it was, nor do I care who it was ) This isnt a personal attack on anyone, but the Defense is out there to do their job as well, and you dont get open on every play. So the results are completion, sack, incompletion (throw away, drop, bad throw), scramble, and/or fumble. So I didnt mind Rivers making up his mind to throw some of those plays away. We should actually expect more of that since he isnt a mobile qb and doesnt have a great Offense Line. I trust Rivers and if he feels that is best for the offense on that play I can live with it if its a confident decision.

Take into account that Stevie had several drops today and the customary 1 drop from KA (I think he had at least 1 yesterday) Rivers is currently leading the league in passing, probably top 5 in percentage of eligible QBs and doing it with this depleted Roster. Give the man his stud rating. The Bengals who are 4 and 0. We were in that game to the end. Bad coaching has us playing down to our competition, but we find ways to always be in games. We just need some sort of inspiration to come out better and more consistently to be a dominant team.

At the end of the season I'm pretty sure we will be in the hunt or one of the teams everyone is hoping they dont have to face as a sleeper team to do big things. (Barring even more catastrophic injuries)

17. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Regarding Rivers throw aways, I am not so sure that the coaches, Reich, McCoy or both, did not have any input during the week prepping Rivers for those situations. These are little nuances to which we are never privy to. Someone must have eventually gotten his attention back on track because "bad Rivers" of 2012, the one who forced balls into double and triple coverages was rearing its ugly head again!

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

Rivers (thus far) is #1 in passing yards by ~40 yards. Weddle is 5th in the league in tackles...

Not sure how I feel about our safety being rated 5th in the league in tackles, but glad he is supporting the rest of the D.

19. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I feel like we're being a little harsh here. We went in against a reasonably talented defense who also have a good OL, and despite being without several key players particularly on our OL we won a close game. Say it's only the Browns all you want, but any win in the NFL counts the same no matter who you get it against.

Studs:
    Rivers - felt like he was under pressure all game long, but eventually he got rolling, and finished without an INT. Operating with a backup OL and only 2 WRs by the end, he was still moving the chains. Give the man his props here.
    Attaochou & Ingram - Browns OL is respectable, and these 2 looked like a threat at times today, nice to see some sacks on the board.
    Robinson - I think he's been a pleasant surprise so far, nice job filling in as a starter.
    Allen & Inman - as the only 2 receivers to end today's game, both had nice plays on big drives for us.

Middle ground:
    Te'o - gets a lot of hassle around here, but I think this was his best game of the season, though he could definitely use some work on the fundamentals of tackling.
    Reyes - after an initially promising rookie season, then a disappointing second year, he had a nice game yesterday.
    Woodhead - not his most active game yet, but I just love the way he plays.

Duds:
    Special Teams - We don't look like a return threat at all. Can't wait to get Jones back, though the blocking needs to improve too if they expect him to be able to make a difference.
    Injuries - Seriously, please make it stop...

On a separate note, the Browns got themselves a good player in Duke Johnson, really impressed with him in this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Actually, we went against the last rank D. :(

21. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Keep cutting Donalds...

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Against the run and we failed to run on 'em! They ran on us and we are like, the 3rd or 4th on the bottom feeding D-list ;)

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The Browns were 32nd vs the run coming out of week 3, we did shyte against them in the run game. To me this is just pitiful. I don't think McCoy knows ow to develop a run game. Maybe Manning did all the OC duties for him in Denver.

The Browns were 22nd vs the pass coming out of week 3. They were ranked 28 overall coming out of week 3, and have thus far dropped to 32nd out of week 4.

Sorry, I dont see anything to really be happy about with eeking out a win in the last seconds, on a second chance against that competition. I think it suggests what we can expect going forward. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  24. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I don't disagree with anything which you have said but that W even though it was eeked out nevertheless was HUGE.

First of all, we were up by 8 points so it should have never gone to an equalizer on Browns last driver, a long one at that too. That debacle was all on the Chargers D. To add insult to injury, they also converted on their 2 points conversion :rolleyes:

Now why was the W huge? Because sitting at 1-3 having lost to the lowly Browns as opposed to 2-2 having garnered a W instead against the lowly Browns puts the players in a much more optimistic frame of mind, while they arguably get their most prized offensive weapon back who is a quintessential part of this QB and O planning. Now they can tinker with formations involving both Gates and Green while they have dinged up WRs.

Also, I would like to see the same sort of formation as the one which the Browns scored a TD against them, i.e, two RBs on the left side with 3 WRs/TEs on the right and an empty backfield. Lets see how the opponents ILBs fair against one of our RBs running them in the dust for the end zone!

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The D was not up to the task yesterday, no doubt. That is even more frustrating. On the O you can look to the broken glass players and at least understand it. On D, I feel we have decent players who should be performing better. The browns had what, 3 drives where they looked like the Patriots? Yesterday's game was very demoralizing for me all around. I feel that it showed our team for what it is. One of the worst prepared teams in the league. Maybe I am just being a Negatron right now, but I don't feel we played well enough to win against most teams in this league, let alone any other team in our division.

Well, we got a new week and a new chance to get it together right?

26. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I don't expect too much from this HC any more to be quite honest with you. I think that he is now feeling the heat on his seat which is beginning to warm up. I think that he is being extra cautious during practices and implements a "not to lose" game day planning strategy. But based on what we have seen so far with incessant injuries to boot, I don't give this team based on last 4 weeks performances to be any better than 6-10 at the end of it all.

4-4 at home, 2-6 on the road, again based on the last 4 weeks snafu. They could have more easily been a 0-4 team, than a 4-0 one :eek:

27. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Butler, Donald...... Need I elaborate?

28. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Another improvement we had this week was Play clock management... Maybe only half of the plays Rivers had to snap the ball with less than 5 secs on the playclock oppose to the normal 90%.

Yes it was the Browns, but they are an NFL team too. Yes, their rush Defense is amongst the worse in the league this season but it wasnt that way last season. Yes I wished we killed them, but so many of yall forget that we are a passing team that depends on the short passes to facilitate what would be a run. Yes, we would like to run it more and probably should try to run it more, but without an improved line the balance will not be fully there until we can make things easier for Gordon who has played well even when little is infront of him.

So yes I do want to run more and I would like more balance, but if its not completely working, and we have an alternative that does, I am ok with using it until we get our sh*t together. Yall try to compare the Patriots scheme so often, but they are a team that doesnt run often either. They have in recent years created more balance on select games, but most of their short to in between yardage use to be a product of great offensive line play and spread sets taking advantage of mismatches.

So I hope we feed MG3 more, BUT I am not opposed to letting Rivers run the show. End of the day its really about the OLine or playcalling to take advantage of what we can. That is all it can be until we form an identity upfront and in the trenches.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    YES! Stop being a lazy poster!

;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    He's one of the cooler kids now. I think he spends more time on that dystopian forum, BFTB ;)