1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers / Bucs game changed to 1:00 pm.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LV Bolt Fan, Dec 9, 2008.

1. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=6843

Bucs-Chargers Game Flexed to 1:00 P.M.

Dec 09, 2008 - It appears as if the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Monday night game in Charlotte will be their last prime-time appearance during the 2008 regular season.

The Bucs were originally scheduled to play one more evening contest, as their Week 16 matchup against the visiting San Diego Chargers was slated for the NBC Sunday Night Football series. However, that game will now be played at 1:00 p.m. while the Carolina Panthers and New York Giants will do battle in the evening on December 21.

Those moves are part of the league's "flexible scheduling" plan that has been in operation for the last three years. The flex scheduling, as it is often called, takes place during Weeks 11-17 and is designed to put games with critical playoff implications in prime time during the season's stretch run. The Panthers-Giants contest is a matchup of two teams that, at the moment, are in first place in their respective divisions.

Obviously, the Buccaneers are still very much in the thick of the playoff hunt and could even be back in first place in the NFC South by Week 16. However, the Chargers' difficult season — they stand at 5-8 after last Thursday's win over Oakland — has removed some of the game's inherent draw.

Two other games were moved from 1:00 p.m. kickoffs in Week 16 to the 4:15 time slot that will allow them to be part of Fox's national double-header. Those two games are Philadelphia at Washington and Atlanta at Minnesota.

With the exception of Week 17, the NFL announces new start times for any games "flexed" to new time slots no later than 12 days prior to the Sunday in question. To ensure a Sunday night game and doubleheader games with playoff implications in Week 17, the flexible scheduling decision for that Sunday may be made on six days notice.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    No surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    1 pm eastern right? That would be 10 am here. Would suck to miss the game because you overslept.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    So we get the Giants this week, and then the Giants again next week. Great.

This flex scheduling thing was supposed to be cool, but all it did was allow NBC to suck off the Patriots last year, and now it looks like Giants suck-a-thon this year.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    We wouldn't be upset if it was us they were sucking off tho.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well that's another thing that Spanos and AJ need to consider about keeping Norv... We lost a prime timer because of him!

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    OK, Norv - tuck the guys in nice & early on Sat. night so they'll be ready for that early game. Wouldn't want them to be lethargic from lack of sleep. :no:

It's SO much better for you to BORE them to death. :tdown:

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Of course not :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Then the team should fly into Tampa the Wednesday/early Thursday before the game and get better acclimated to the Eastern Time Zone.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Well if Denver wins Sunday it won't matter to us anyways.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I wonder why? Maybe because we suck.....

• Like Like x 1
  12. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I think it being flexed might become an advantage. If we win this sunday and the Broncos lose, which is a probable scenario, we'll be just 1 more game away from taking it to the finale, but the Broncos would be playing the Bills who haven't been very good and would need to choke.

Well if we win the Bucs game the Broncos play at 1, which is after us, meaning they'll have the added pressure to win that game so the finale won't matter.

It's a long shot scenario, and I don't have a lot of hope that we'll see it happen but you never know.

13. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Did you see how Carolina walked all over Tampa's defense the other day? Denver can't stop the run. Game over for them. :tup:

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Hey, that is true. We'll have to see. That Denver offense is still potent but if the defense stays out there long enough then Carolina wins this one. We just gotta win ours and good God! week 16 would be one hell of a nailbiter.

15. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    You sleep past 10am!! :icon_eek: Lucky! :lol:

Cool, I'd rather watch the Giants vs. Panthers game over the bolts/tampa game on prime time... :icon_twisted:

Fouts

GO LAKERS!

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Lemme get this right. We play our game before the Donkeys play the Bills?. Let's say we win sunday and the Panthers beat the Donkeys. I'm not so sure us playing before them sunday week is all that much of an advantage. In Europe when rival teams are playing games that matter they play em off at the same time so there is no advantage/disadvantage. I'd like to see that happen sunday week instead.

I sure as hell don't think us seeing the Donkeys lose to the Bills would make much of a difference to the performance of our 'overconfident' bunch of underachievers!. In fact were that the case I could see them falling over each other all day long. :icon_evil:

It'll be all moot if we cannot overcome the Chiefs and the Panthers don't win sunday.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The ESPN/NBC league wouldn't have it any other way!!

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

18. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    If the Giants were in the tank, at 5-8, and Bolts 11-2 vs Tampa 9-4, then the bolts game would be more compelling and the time slots switched. I remember last season, one of our games was moved to the prime time game, a sh*tty team got bumped...

NO CONSPIRACY HERE, WE SUCK!! :icon_party:

Fouts

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    But why do they feel compelled to show us the freaking Giants every week? Are there NO other games in the NFL with playoff implications?

20. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    They are the current Superbowl champs, something we may never know how it feels... :lol:

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ouch .... :icon_sad:

22. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    All Denver has to do is beat the Bills, and the Bills have rolled over and died since we played them. It's not looking good for us next week at all.

23. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I agree that's why I think our best chance is to put pressure on Denver to win, and if you have pressure on you there's a better chance you make mistakes, or choke a game. That's why I think the game being moved to 10am is better for us if it gets to that point.

24. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    One week at a time bro... besides, if they DO win in Buffalo, then the next week we beat the hell out of them to insure that they do crap in the playoffs! :tup::abq1:

25. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    True, I just hope the final 3 games mean something but you're right tomorrow comes first then we go from there.