1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Care for Cason

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Chargers Care for Cason

By Amberly Richardson
    SDBoltReport.com
    Posted Apr 26, 2008

With the 27th overall pick, the San Diego Chargers obtained a shutdown corner with a packed highlight reel. Antoine Cason is a player loaded with character coupled with the passion to compete at the next level. The Chargers opted not to trade down and instead nabbed a top-five defensive back.

Antoine Cason finishes the plays that his coverage starts. He has impeccable timing and great vision and he should be a workhorse for the Chargers for years to come. Cason packs everything you'd expect from a top cornerback.

“(I'm) a good cover guy who can play man, zone,” Cason said. “Good tackler, good awareness on the field and knows what’s going on in the backfield, knows where his help is on the field. And just pretty much knows overall defensively and makes plays.”

His description is exactly the kind of defensive back the Chargers added to their secondary. Cason is a focused player with big ideas and an even bigger heart. He and his friend started the charity “Cason Cares” to raise money for the American Cancer Society in memory of his grandfather, Royce Rambo, who died of leukemia in Feb. 2007.

“My grandfather was a role model to me,” Cason said. “He’s done everything for the family. My senior year I wanted to do something to honor him for what he’s done for me and my family.”

Cason sold Cason Cares bracelets for $3 a piece in Arizona. He and the co-founder earned $7,000 in two months and the Phoenix Suns even wore them at a game.

“It was a great experience for me to see the foundation side, the business side works, in college, being a young man growing up trying to do some things that don’t benefit me. Everything is now about me. Me, me, all the time. I wanted to give back and do something positive, and pretty much everyone can relate to.”

A scout’s Perspective

Tom Marino is a former pro scout with more than 30 years of league experience, here is what he has to say about Cason:

“I’ve talked to a number of scouts about Cason. He was a very good college player. Like Aqib Talib, he is over 6 feet, which is a real plus. He also makes big plays, but he does not cover well, the reason being is he doesn’t have great foot speed. He has a high center of gravity, but does a good job of taking people off their feet, though. I’m not real big on him and don’t think he deserves to go first round.”

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    NFL

Positives: Has a developing frame with room to carry additional bulk with no loss in quickness...Possesses the long arms and reach, along with very good timing and leaping ability, to get to a pass at its highest point...Displays natural hands to make the interception and demonstrates good vision and running stride to gain valid yardage after the interception...Runs with a normal stride and shows steady acceleration to reach his top speed...Smart, instinctive player who has demonstrated an ability to learn and retain information, demonstrating the ability to make quick reads and react to the action in front of him...Hard worker in the offseason training program and has improved his overall quickness while competing on the school's track team as a sprinter...Plays with alertness and shows no hesitation in his reactions, making quick and proper adjustments on the field (shows proper timing moves to make plays on the ball in flight)...Competes for the ball and when tackling, will deliver a blow and try to dislodge the ball -- has five forced fumbles during his career...Plays with alertness and is quick to diagnose the play, mirroring the receiver on deep patterns...Maintains position on the receiver in man coverage, whether playing, trailing, covering or allowing cushion on the pass...Has a good feel for zone coverage, adjusting to the receiver throughout the route's progression...Makes plays on the ball, showing vision, instincts, and the ability to anticipate, as he has superb reaction skills, displaying exceptional timing and a break on the play, with excellent hand-eye coordination...Has enough confidence in his closing speed to be utilized on occasion as a blitzer (must come off the edge rather than shooting the gaps)...Snatches the ball naturally on the interception, possessing the hands of a receiver...Shows athleticism while moving to the ball, coming out of his backpedal cleanly, whether using the side-pedal or shuffle technique...Displays the balance, body control and footwork to come out of his breaks cleanly, showing crispness in his plant and drive...Has good ball concentration while extending and catching the pass in his hands, as well as the ability to adjust to the ball over his outside shoulder...Works to play off blocks and close on the ball inside the tackles, but is best when making plays outside the box...Has the loose hips to change direction cleanly, especially when trying to redirect the outside running game back inside...Does not get fooled much by play action, as he won't spend too much time eyeing the quarterback.

Negatives: Shows good foot quickness, agility, and body control to turn, but he's not always fluid...Has quickness to accelerate on breaks, but lacks a strong burst and great top-end speed...Has a developing frame, but needs to add more bulk and strength, as he can be washed out of the play by a physical blocker when coming up to make a play in the box...Classroom work is only adequate...Plays with good toughness, but could be more aggressive and show more urgency at times, as he fails to get good hand placement on the receiver...Must get more physical and develop upper-body strength, as he is only adequate in attempts to press, failing to consistently impede the receiver's route progression...Shows good foot quickness and hip turn, keeping tight coverage, but isn't always fluid...Gets turned around at times and doesn't possess a burst or the top-end speed to recover (gets a bit narrow in his base, failing to clear his feet on the move)...Slips on his backpedal plant at times and while he has good acceleration, he lacks a closing burst (does not have the explosive speed to quickly recover)...Active in run support, but his effort in this area is inconsistent, as he does not have the power to deliver blow-up tackles...Hits and wraps up adequately, but fails to generate much power on contact.

Compares To: CHRIS McALISTER-Baltimore...Cason's game is similar to that of the Ravens' McAlister, another former Arizona cornerback. He looks natural making plays on the ball in flight, showing the long arms and reach to get to the ball at its high point. He does a nice job of keeping plays in front of him, but needs to get more aggressive with his hands, as he lacks the placement and strength to consistently reroute receivers. He has good timed speed, but appears to lack the second gear to explosively close on the ball. Opponents challenged him often in 2007, targeting 73 passes into his area, as they averaged 11.2 yards on their 23 completions, but he has very good timing and ability to deflect the pass, obvious by the 50 passes that his coverage assignments failed to catch.

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    This could not be further from the truth :no:

4. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    and puts a smile on my face.

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    He doesn't cover well?

I guess that Youtube highlight vid of him covering all those top notch college WRs is just a CGI flick from Pixar then?

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    with corners, much like with wide receivers, apparently speed means everything. I saw the same thing you did, he seems to be able to cover but yeah lets see in the bigs what that means

7. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    I was about to write those very words yesterday, but then I thought "WWTD?" :lol:

By the way Thumper any news on the website?

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I would think being in the proper position means more than speed.

The Raiders traded one of their 1st round CBs from 2005, Fabian Washington, to Baltimore for a 4th round pick... where they promptly used it to select another CB. This was after they traded up to grab Fabian in the 2005 draft. :lol:

Fabian ran something like a 4.29 40-yard at the 2005 combine.

However, being only 5' 9" (at the time) and frequently out of position nullified that track speed, because the guy is slow between the ears.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste!! :lol:

Seriously, though - look no further than our Mr. Weddle. Not the most athletically gifted guy ever, but he's smart. Sure, his instincts are good, but I'd say those instincts have been heightened by his knowledge & grasp of the game. He understands tendencies, how teams (and individual players) will usually react to different schemes, where he & his teammates should be, & how to watch film. Some guys are physically gifted as hell, but they just don't understand football. They may be fast, have sticky hands, be strong as an ox, whatever. But if they don't get football, they won't make it very far at this level.

10. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Weddle has explosive short-area quickness. His 10 yard dash time was outstanding and he is great at redirecting and breaking on the ball. It is the vertical that is lacking but he times his jumps well. A lot of times Weddle will come out of nowhere to make a play... that is his anticipation and instincts but what gets him there is his outstanding short-area quickness. I like him as an athlete... if he had longer arms that would certainty help his vertical but in terms of being able to jump... the guy can jump. He is a good athlete to me.