1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

CHARGERS: Catching on is no tall order for Reed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

BY SCOTT BAIR - nctimes.com | Posted: August 4, 2010

SAN DIEGO -- The Chargers like tall, powerful leapers catching passes, receivers who can win one-on-one battles and pluck seemingly uncatchable passes out of the sky. Countless big plays, touchdowns and third-down conversions were completed in an offensive style that rewards physical dominance.
    Josh Reed doesn't exactly fit that mold. The free-agent acquisition -- generously listed at 5-foot-10 -- is by far the shortest member of the Chargers receivers corps, using quickness, agility and veteran guile to get open.
    "If you look at me compared to the rest of the receivers, it's like night and day," said Reed, the only veteran receiver under 6-1. "Most of them are big and tall, but I can get away with being a little smaller playing slot (receiver). Coach (Norv Turner) felt like there was something about my game that he thought could work in this offense, so I want to make sure I do everything I can to get up to speed and learn my role."
    Reed was signed away from Buffalo on June 11, when the tension between disgruntled restricted free agent Vincent Jackson and the team was high. The Chargers reduced Jackson's one-year tender by nearly $2.5 million a short time later -- virtually guaranteeing a standoff between the sides and leading many fans to assume that Reed was brought in as a replacement for the 6-5, 230-pound Jackson.
    That was not the case. Legedu Naanee was pegged to take Jackson's starting spot, and Reed was brought in to fill Naanee's old post in the slot. Reed has been productive there over the course of his career, using his own brand of techniques to record at least 30 receptions and 400 receiving yards in six of eight professional seasons.
    "He brings a veteran mentality and a different technique than what the tall receivers have," receiver Malcom Floyd said. "There are definitely things we can learn from Josh, especially how he uses quickness getting in and out of routes. He's a smart receiver and a savvy guy who knows how to get the job done."
    Reed has been a frequent target of quarterback Philip Rivers during training camp, as the two try to build a rapport before the season starts. Trust is key for Reed to be productive, especially with a quarterback like Rivers who is known for distributing the ball among several different receivers.
    "It's an exciting time," Reed said. "In Buffalo, we never had any consistency and had a tough time getting things established. Here you have one of the best quarterbacks in football. The man makes other people better. If he trusts that you'll be where you're supposed be when you're supposed to be there, he's going to get you the ball. He does a great job finding the open guy."
    To get his timing down, Reed is taking a crash course in the Chargers' offensive tactics. He missed the entire offseason, meaning that he's behind even the rookies in terms of comprehension.
    "Josh is still grasping the offense and what we do, but he's a quick study," Rivers said. "There's a comfort level with the receivers, most of whom have been in the system a long time. The offense can be complex and Josh has to keep learning, but that's what we have the next month for."
    Reed is confident in his ability to learn on the fly. He switched from tailback to wide receiver during an injury plague at LSU, caught his first pass during a two-minute drill at Alabama and had a 100-yard receiving game a week later.
    Yet it has been a while since the ninth-year veteran has had to adjust to new surroundings. He has played for the Bills his entire career, but jumped at the chance to join an organization with high expectations.
    The transition, in Reed's mind, has gone exceptionally well.
    "When I came in, the guys really made me feel at home," Reed said. "I was instantly comfortable, which allowed me to do my job of playing football. I'm still trying to find my way in a new offense, but the guys are working with me and I'm progressing pretty well."

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Remind me, did Reed arrive in a trade or was he picked up off the scrap heap?.

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers add Josh Reed

Posted Jun 11, 2010

The Chargers have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with former Buffalo Bills wide receiver Josh Reed

The Chargers have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with free agent wide receiver Josh Reed, a former Buffalo Bill with more than 3,500 career receiving yards on his resume.
    A second-round pick of the Bills in 2002, Reed had 311 career catches for 3,575 yards and 10 touchdowns in eight seasons playing in Western New York. A part-time starter for the Bills, Reed was a consistent weapon in their offensive arsenal, recording at least 30 catches and more than 400 yards in six of his eight seasons. Reed enjoyed a career-best season in 2008, racking up 597 yards on 56 catches. He also averaged an impressive 11.5 yards per catch average during his tenure with Buffalo. The Bills opted not to re-sign Reed when his contract expired following the 2009 season.
    “We are excited to have Josh join us,” said Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith. “He was a consistent performer in Buffalo for many years. With his experience, he will be a solid compliment to our receiving corps.”
    A native of Rayne, Louisiana, Reed was drafted by the Bills after an outstanding collegiate career at LSU, one that he capped off in 2001 by claiming the Biletnikoff Award as the NCAA’s top wide receiver. He entered the NFL Draft as a junior after that ’01 season in which he also earned consensus All-America honors, leaving LSU as the first 3,000-yard receiver in SEC history. In 2007, while playing in the NFL, Reed was named to the SEC’s 75th Anniversary All-Time Team.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Banks >>> Reed :tup:

Just ask T-Man. :yes: