1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Choose Antoine Cason in Round One

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Did anyone notice the mistakes they made in this article?

Chargers Choose Antoine Cason in Round One

By SDBoltReport.com Staff
    Posted Apr 26, 2008

The Chargers spent their first-round pick on a cornerback...again. This year's selection was Antoine Cason, a proven cornerback who started every game of his four-year career at Arizona. Cason intercepted 15 passes for the Wildcats and will now be the wildcard between Antonio Cromartie and Quentin Jammer.

The Chargers found themselves in a tough spot in the bottom of round one. The Dallas Cowboys traded up to No. 25 and snatched CB Mike Jenkins out from under A.J. Smith's nose. Smith's options were slim in terms of offensive line prospects, as well, as Gosder Cherilus and Sam Baker both went earlier than expected.

San Diego decided the go with the best player at a position of need, choosing Antoine Cason over Virginia Tech's Brandon Flowers.

It would appear that character issues played a major role in the selection. Cason is a stand-up individual, staying active in the community and starting the "Cason Cares" program to help battle cancer. Flowers, on the other hand, is seen as a character risk due to some compromising pictures that were revealed on his Facebook page.

Cason will now compete with Brandon Flowers, a pick from last year's supplemental draft, for the nickel back role. Oliver failed to escape the inactive list last season and -- as today's pick confirms -- has yet to win the confidence of Chargers coaches.

Inactivity is not a problem for Cason, who started every game over the last four seasons. During that time, he totaled 253 tackles, 32 pass breakups and 15 interceptions.

"I take a lot of pride in that," said Cason of his starting streak. "I feel very confident in myself in making plays consistntly for four years."

Cason (6'0", 191 pounds) has better size than most corners in this year's draft, a must for any defensive back in San Diego. He has long arms and a good vertical, which allows him to match up well with largers receivers such as Brandon Marshall, Dwayne Bowe and Javon Walker.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    He is definitely a great character guy, and that played into AJ's decision. I think that he'll work out well in our secondary.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,672
    It was the best of a bad situation with no team interested in moving up, so I accept it but its not my favorite choice

• Like Like x 1
  4. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    It's nice to have such a solid roster that they can make a first round pick for depth:yes:

5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I pretty much agree. I can't get over how many OL & DL were taken before it got to us

• Like Like x 1
  6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I like it, if we were going to take a CB in the first Cason was the guy I wanted and that's who we picked. Would of been nice to get a Olineman but there just wasn't good value there.

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I agree with you, but I want to know why the Jets were willing to trade with GB, but not with us. Was their offer just not enough for AJ, or did they not even bother to ask?

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    My feelings also.
    They will address those areas with our second day picks.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,672
    I hate Carolina and Detroit so much for grabbing Otah and Cherilus when neither team really needed it, pisses me off so damn much!!! :icon_twisted:

Stupid Matt Millen

• Like Like x 1
  10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354

Why would Detroit not have an interest in an OT???? They have given up 117 sacks in the past 2 seasons...THE MOST IN THE NFL, THEY OBVIOUSLY NEED TO DO SOMETHING WITH THEIR LINE!!!!!

I love the pick, I have been saying we were going to go CB for 3 months and was getting grief over it especially from you! Now granted I wanted Flowers, but Cason is good and he gives us probably the best secondary in the NFL!!

11. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

The Lions passed on Rashard Mendenhall and they have crap at the RB position, so what does that tell you about Millen. Leaving Mendenhall for the Squeelers! Darn it!

Stan :rivers17:

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Actually they did have needs for a OT but Cherilus to them @ #19 was a shock

13. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    "Before the snap, false start, number 77, offense... 5 yard penalty, repeat 3rd down."

Hope Matt Millen enjoys hearing that a lot :lol:

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    :icon_rofl:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Glad they took him - I really wasn't interested in seeing him in Charger blue. :no:

Would have liked Sam Baker or Duane Brown later on, but there was a real run on OL early.

Cason is a good pickup, although I thought that they would go with Flowers. Now we'll face him as a Chief. :unsure:

My pick at 27, based on the board, would have been Kenny Phillips. Not taking him shows a lot of confidence in Weddle, Hart, & the Gordon/Oliver combo.

Welcome to the next SB championship team, Antoine!! :bolt:

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Cason stats out better than Flowers if you base it on that. They seem to be even up on the talent scale from most of the reviews out there. When you throw in the height advantage and the character differences, then it is a no brainer. :yes:

Maybe the money/coke pic has been blown out of proportion, but even if he thought it was just a cool pic, it shows bad judgment and what else would he think was cool after being handed all that real $$$? :icon_shrug: