1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers clear Sproles for free agency

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers do not tender Sproles

February 26, 2010

For the second time in a week, a major turnover has affected the San Diego's backfield.

In the same week the Chargers decided to release running back LaDainian Tomlinson, they also opted not to tender running back Darren Sproles, freeing him to leave the team in free agency without any compensation, said a source close to the situation.

Had the Chargers wanted to retain Sproles' rights, they would have had to tender him with an offer of nearly $7.3 million for the coming season by March 4. But San Diego deemed that price too high, giving its running back the chance to test free agency. San Diego still would like to re-sign him, and it could, but it will face competition from other teams.

Now San Diego's backfield is expected to take on a significantly different look next season, whether or not Sproles returns.

Tomlinson will not be back and there is a decent chance Sproles will not be, either. San Diego is expected to look to free agency, trades and the draft in an effort to rebuild its backfield. Free agent running backs such as Minnesota's Chester Taylor and Pittsburgh's Willie Parker would have to view San Diego's offense as appealing.

Declining to tender Sproles is one of many significant issues facing the Chargers this offseason. San Diego still must figure out a way to keep free-agent wide receivers Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, decide what it wants to do with linebacker Shawne Merriman, and find a trade partner for cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

By Adam Schefter ESPN's NFL Insider

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4949186

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd like to keep Sproles but to a much team friendly contract, sign (long term) VJ and McNeil, tender Merriman, trade Cro for a bag of ******* jacks (they can keep the price)

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good luck Sproles. I will be interested to see how your value pans out in the market.

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    VJ - RFA #1&3 Tag
    MF - RFA #1 Tag
    SM - RFA #1&3 Tag

AC - whatever we can get for him in trade.

5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers might be trying to keep the Colts from getting Sproles

by Mike Florio on February 26, 2010

A year after the San Diego Chargers used the franchise tag on running back Darren Sproles, the Chargers will apply no restriction of any kind to the five-year veteran, allowing him to leave via free agency if he so chooses.

Adam Schefter of ESPN has the news of the Chargers' decision in this regard.

The deeper question is whether the Chargers (or anyone else) realize that the team could have applied the low-level RFA tender, which would have given the team a right of first refusal as to any offer sheet signed by Sproles elsewhere. Though some think that the Chargers could have retained Sproles' rights only be tendering him an offer of nearly $7.3 million for one year (i.e., 110 percent of his 2009 salary), we set forth yesterday with nausea-inducing detail the union's interpretation of the CBA regarding the ability to simply match any offer made to a restricted free agent. As to Sproles, a right of first refusal could have been secured by the Chargers via a tender offer of only $1.226 million.

So why didn't they do it? We can come up with four possible explanations.

First, they simply don't want him, at $1.226 million, $7.3 million, or any price.

Second, they don't believe that the CBA permits the right of first refusal to be secured with a tender of only $1.226 million.

Third, they don't want to create a situation in which a team interested in Sproles would have to use the Hutchinson/Burleson-style poison pill or risk the NFLPA pitching a fit.

Fourth, maybe they want to keep Sproles from going to the Colts.

Think about that one for a second. Since Sproles is an unrestricted free agent, the Colts would be able to sign Sproles only if one of their two unrestricted free agents -- linebacker Gary Brackett or kicker Matt Stover -- sign with another team. Even then, the Colts would be limited by the contract paid to Brackett or Stover by his new team. But if the Chargers had tendered Sproles as a restricted free agent with no compensation, Sproles would have been fair game for the Colts or any of the other final four teams.

Given the damage Sproles did to the Colts in the 2008 playoffs, the Colts surely would be interested in getting him. With the lowest level, no-compensation RFA tender, the Colts easily could have had him. Now, they have to wait for Brackett to leave, and hope that Brackett's new contract elsewhere is big enough to satisfy Sproles.

Even if it is, Sproles could be long gone before Brackett finds his next suitor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rying-to-keep-the-colts-from-getting-sproles/

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Interesting. I wonder if they are willing to let Sproles sign with another team to allow them to get a FA?

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    if they wanted to prevent a team from acquiring him they should've slapped him with a tag of some kind. now instead we get nothing and he can go anywhere

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    But if he leaves we can sign a FA. So we do not get nothing...

9. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Forget about drafting a running back for a moment. Who is going to return kick offs? A lot of questions going into next year

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Cromartie? *ducks*

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Good, Sign Chester Taylor to replace him. Then we are still able to sign one good FA, except I doubt Aj does. He never does

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Will we EVER go through an off season without controversy

:tdown:

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    yes and we the fans HATE IT! Remember just two off seasons ago when it was so quiet, there was no news etc...

It sucks, at least this way we have something to argue about...

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What is the controversy? Did people actually think we should have brought back Sproles at over $7 mil?

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    No. but the fact that we are now without a running back does make me ask the question

btw - Why are you constantly calling people out for their posts?

Controversy

Uncertainty

Insecurity

Questions

Doubt

Call it what you want but we sure seem to have more of it every year than anybody else

:tdown:

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I agree we didn't need to pay him 7 million I was though thinking that we should've tried to give him a restricted tag, especially now there's information suggesting he could've been given a 2nd round tag

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I would like to have seen/heard AJ come out and say

LT, Sprolesy, Here's what we're gonna do...

Then work on our lines.

Hate seeing our team in constant flux every year.

Why can't it be that easy??

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    as it is now. Getting two good rb's in this draft is plan number #1. I kind of think A.j. figured that from the start.

because. This draft has some really good rb's. Got to think A.j. has his eye on a couple of rb's that he's very interested in.

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    conc, a.j. wouldn't do this unless he has a plan. And with the really good rb's in this draft I'm guessing he has plans on landing two really good rb's. Gonna be fun.

20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think now is a good time to say... I told ya so!

I said it MONTHS ago, LT is gone for sure, and Sproles is likely out too if he can't settle for a 2nd string paycheck. And RB would become our overwhelming offseason need over NT and RT.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He couldn't get a RFA tag. Any tag would have guaranteed a 10% raise from his salary of last year. So they would have had to guarantee him over $7.2 mil. A guy who ran for 3.8 ypc and was ranked #40 in kick returns and #44 in punt returns is not worth $7.2 mil

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    In this offense, and since Norv doesn't rely on a RB for anything more than a decoy to setup the pass, taking a RB in the 1st two rounds would be a waste. Go defense in the 1st 2 rounds, get Blount in the 3rd, and sign Chester Taylor to split carries with him. That addresses the biggest need (defense) and RB in the 1st 3 rounds without wasting a top pick on a RB that will be wasted like Joseph Addai is in Indi

23. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I think we should do whatever Hacksaw says. He really knows how to build an NFL team and the in and outs of the salary cap and such.

I am can't handle that freaking muck raker. People dont take the bait with him. I listen to him when 1360 is on breaks or the Lakers are playing but he really drives me crazy like he knows the way to do things. He is such the jaggoff!!!!

24. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    "this roster is in crisis, THAT GM has done nothing to better this roster...react!!!" :lol:

26. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Niners could make a run at Sproles

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2010 11:37 PM ET

With Chargers running back Darren Sproles due to hit the open market in six days, another West Coast team could be making a run at him.

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat thinks the 49ers will be interested, given that Sproles would give a much-needed boost to the team's return game.

The question is whether and to what extent Sproles would have a role in the team's offense. The reality is that a team that plans to use him in the backfield and in the return game is more likely to make the kind of financial offer that will be appealing to the five-year veteran.

27. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I think a lot of things that transpire at RB in the upcoming months will have a lot to do with what we do with Cromartie and what we get for him. Here are a few of the scenarios that I have heard from various people.

IF Cromartie is traded for a RB then expect AJ to get a decent Vet and 1 young RB in the draft probably in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Maybe a Montario Hardesty or Anthony Dixon.

If Cromartie is traded for picks then expect SD to make a run for Dwyer, Matthews, or Best. And possibly look to package them with another small Sproles type of back with maybe Dexter McCluster, who has great hands and is scary with the ball in his hand.

If Sproles gets resigned to a long term deal look for SD to make a play on a bigger back in Matthews, Dwyer, Gerhart, or Dixon. And for those of you Legarette Blount fans i'll throw him in there to for ya.

Another scenario is to trade Cromartie and our #1, to the NY Giants and there struggling secondary, for either Brandon Jacobs (who is being shopped) or Ahmad Bradshaw and their #1 (15).

28. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    :icon_rofl:

I have a better name: Jahvid Best:yes:

29. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    This. If the Niners sign Sproles, he would be great alongside Gore. Plus they can pass on C.J. Spiller in the draft and focus on other needs with those two first round picks. Look out for the Niners next season. 10 wins is a real possibility for that team.:yes:

30. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think I might be the only one that is optimistic about the future backfield of this team and I feel AJ has a plan. Sproles was NOT worth the 7 Mil tender and is not an every down back. Great returner and screen runner but we had a backfield of LT and Sproles that was ranked 31st in the league. I really think we will go after one of the top backs in the draft (Mathews/Best/Dwyer) in the 1st round. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds prob a NT/Corner on D and then draft yet another small back/returner in the 3rd or 4th or later rounds. We weren't getting it done obviously with an old LT and Sproles, I'm willing to try something new and that's what I think AJ and management are thinking. I don't see us bring in a Willie Parker or Taylor unless it's for a good deal although that could still happen depending on the $. I'd like to acquire a big vet like Pierre Thomas but I don't see that happening either since he's a restricted FA. Next season We will see a whole new backfield and to be quite honest with you I'm excited as heck! (that makes one of me...)