1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers coaching staff returns intact

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Chargers.com

The entire Chargers coaching staff will return intact in 2010.

Prior to the 2009 season, Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner made six changes to his coaching staff. Following an adjustment period early in the season, the moves paid dividends as San Diego won 11-straight games to finish the season.
    Adaptation won’t be necessary in 2010. All of the Chargers’ assistants are under contract for next season as San Diego chases a fifth-consecutive AFC West title.
    “I think in a couple areas it took us a little longer for everyone on our coaching staff to gel last season, but once we were all on the same page, I think it showed up,” Turner said. “I think that continuity will be even more present and hopefully it will help us get off to one of those fast starts everyone is looking for next season.”
    On several occasions last season, Turner praised the efforts of his coaching staff. Despite numerous injuries that forced the Chargers to rely on several young players, San Diego didn’t miss a beat through the final two months of the regular season.
    “When you think about playing 62 different guys and the number of guys we started on the offensive and defensive lines, at the linebacker positions as well as the constant change we had in the kicking game, that’s a challenge,” Turner said. “Our coaches and our players responded to that challenge.”
    In December, Turner cited numerous players who he believed had their best seasons of their careers, and he gave his assistants a lot of credit for their hand in those performances. The achievements of Chargers players and coaches came after Turner challenged them last offseason.
    “In the spring we talked about, ‘Hey, let’s see how many (players) can go out and have their best season of their career,’” Turner said. “We had a lot of guys that did that. I talked to the coaches the same way. ‘Lets see how many guys on this staff can have their best coaching year ever’ and they responded.”

2. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I can give a rats as$ about the "fast start". One word....FINISH!

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    they earned the right to come back again, minus the alst game they all did good work

4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    since were talkin bout the staff who likes this draft this is what id like to see, since the chargers are shopping cromartie around i say trade him to the vikings for a 2nd and a 6th round pick so we could get this draftif darren sproles is leaveing we need to get something for him. if we could id like to give him to the dolphins only if the dolphins gave up another 3rd pick tehn we could add dexster mccluster to the list, also release jacob hester or ge rid of him put gerhart at fb mattews at rb, and mccluster 2nd string rb, to give us a backfield kinda like the LT sproles, and lo neal days who likes the idea
    1st: Dan williams, tenesee
    2nd: kyle wilson,boise state
    2nd; ryan matthew fresno state
    3rd: Dexster mccluster,ole miss i believe
    3rd: ciron black,lsu
    4th: toby gerhart, stanford
    5th: jordan shipley,texas
    6th: rodrick muckelroy, texas
    7th: fredy barnes,syracuse

with hope that barnes will fall that far, also im gettin kinda weary on merriman, idk what the chargers are gonna do but if they are gonna get him trade him away and get a 1 st and a 3rd if they can, if they cant get a 2nd and pick up jerry hughes, tcu

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    First time the entire coaching staff stays intact for more than a season (with Norv), we'll see if it makes a difference.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    can we get a new kicking coach??

:flag:

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Well, I am very disappointed that they aren't going out and hiring a O-Line coach that has a clue how to teach/coach run blocking. Then again, when your HC doesn't give a rats butt about effectively running the ball, I guess I shouldn't have expected a change to be made

8. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Hal Hunter has been our oline coach since 2006 (LT's best season), under his tenure he's developed McNeil, Dielman, and Hardwick into pro-bowlers. You can blame the coach all you want though.

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Our Oline problems are scheme not coaching. They will continue to struggle until they stop the run plays that a five year old can see coming.

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Dude you beat me to it. :lol:

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Then it is a shame Norv is coming back because the issues this team has is scheme more than it is players. McNeail and Dielman went from being pro bowl run blockers, to guys that couldn't run block me

12. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Hal Hunter inherited a decent group when he got here and our rushing numbers have gone down hill since he arived. But I agree I am not sure that is totally on him. Or for that matter as some sugest Norv's dislike to run the ball.

I also find it very funny when posters try to use result driven thinking to back up there points on boards like these. How do any of you know exactly what play was called and what the options that play had when it was called. All you know is where it ended up and what the end result was.

I actually think our turn-around for the O-Line starterd back in 2002 with Hudson Houck. I wish we still had him. He worked with Norv in the Glory Days of the 90's in Big D.

Here is a bio on Hudson:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/team_biosCoachExec.cfm?newName=Hudson_Houck

I will say that I think with improved health, Rookie Vasquez now with 14 starts under his belt, and maybe some additional talent through the draft that this unit will be better in 2010 and I am fine with Hunter as the coach.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Using results from one particular play is a bad way to evaluate, but using results from a season as a whole, is the only way to evaluate.

The linemen that use to be very good run blockers, no longer are. Then when you see a RB running into a line where no hole exists, and see the same dive plays over and over again with horrible results every time, it is a little difficult to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.

I am not quite as confident as you that the running will improve, but I hope you are right. I just don't see the running game being used a an actual weapon in this offense.

14. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    The running game sucked last year, but they weren't as bad in previous seasons. LT missed a lot of holes this past season where the old LT would have busted a big gain. The LT of a few years ago would have had 1300 + yards last season.

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol::lol::lol:

I'm 3,000 miles away from the action and can tell what running play is going to be called, and when its going to be called every time they line up

The end results speak for themselves, we were last in the league in running.

I do agree with you on losing Houck, he was responsible for some good line play.

:tup: