1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers.com Godfrey set to return to Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Feb 8, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2538

If Chargers linebacker Randall Godfrey needed one little push to help him make the decision he’s been wrestling with for months, Steelers running back Jerome Bettis gave it to him Sunday.

Godfrey watched live from his Ford Field seat Sunday as the 13-year NFL veteran hoisted the Vince Lombardi Trophy for the first time. Bettis promptly announced his retirement and in the process inspired Godfrey to hold off on doing the same.

On Tuesday, Godfrey told Chargers.com that he intends to return to the Bolts for an 11th professional season.

“I’m going to play this year,” Godfrey said. “I’m definitely going to be a Charger in 2006. My plans are to come back and play another year.”

Following a heartbreaking Steelers loss in the 2004 AFC Championship game, Bettis thoroughly contemplated retirement. He ultimately decided to return for one final run at a Super Bowl title which he captured Sunday. Godfrey feels like he has a lot in common with Bettis and is hopeful that their careers will end with the same final result.

“I’m in a similar situation to that of Jerome,” Godfrey said. “I’m not as well known as he is, but I think about retiring all the time. You want to win a championship. He made a difficult decision last year to chase that dream one more time and it worked out for him. Hopefully it will for me as well.”

Godfrey initially announced prior to the 2005 season that he intended to call it quits following his 10th-professional campaign. But after playing at a high level and feeling good physically, he wavered on the idea midway through the year. Things changed in early November when Godfrey’s sister was fatally shot in Valdosta, Georgia.

“What my family and I went through definitely made me reconsider a lot of things, including my future in football,” Godfrey said. “But the game helped me a great deal. I didn’t like to grieve around my teammates. Some of them would catch me crying. I would tell them I’m fine. It helped me to cope. When you’re busy you don’t have time to think about stuff. And then when I would get home I would have three boys who were all over me saying ‘Daddy this or Daddy that.’”

Ultimately, Godfrey’s belief in the Chargers organization won out. With the league’s top-ranked run defense and a core of offensive superstars set to return to San Diego, Godfrey is optimistic that like Bettis, he has a great opportunity to go out on top following 2006.

“My chances are better next year because of the players and leadership that this team has coming back,” Godfrey said. “I think if the guys continue to work hard, we can do some great things and possibly be a team similar to Pittsburgh. I just think this team has so much potential. Now is the time to get on the Chargers’ bandwagon, not jump off it.”

Godfrey also said that his family fully supports his decision.

“They’ve been my rock all along,” Godfrey said. “They’ve given their input and helped me and they’re very supportive of me continuing to play.”

A report out of Detroit last week stated that Godfrey would sign a one-day contract with the Dallas Cowboys so that he could retire with the club that drafted him and employed him for the first four years of his career. The report turned out erroneous.

“I ran into a lot of old Cowboys last week,” Godfrey said. “I was doing an interview and told a Dallas reporter that if I did decide to hang it up, I would do so as a Cowboy because that’s where I started and where I played the longest. He kind of went with it and got it out of context.”

For now and for at least one more season, Godfrey is proud to be wearing a lightning bolt on his helmet.

“I’m feeling good and am excited about getting out there again,” Godfrey said. “I just think this team has so much potential. With the way the young guys like Shawne Merriman and Luis Castillo played, we’ve got a great nucleus. I’m anxious to get after it again and see if we can make it happen.”

2. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I hope he doesn't change his mind again.

Having Randall out there helps. But I was hoping that his retirement would give Stephen Cooper a chance to step in and get more experience.