1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers continue to make moves

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

By Kevin Acee
    Monday, October 11, 2010 at 7:02 p.m.

The Chargers made more roster moves Monday, neither of which was wholly unexpected.
    Cornerback Fred Bennett and safety C.J. Spillman were released as the team made room for left tackle Marcus McNeill and also continued a special teams makeover.
    It appears, too, the roster massaging will continue. Additions and subtractions have been made after each game, and more are likely coming.
    “Our goal, as always, is to get to the playoffs,” general manager A.J. Smith said. “The playoffs put you in a position to win a world championship. No playoffs, no opportunity. We want another opportunity, and we are going to do everything and anything we can to get this moving in the right direction.”
    Bennett, signed off waivers the final week of the preseason, played on special teams the first four games but was inactive at Oakland. Spillman, once a promising kick coverage demon, had missed tackles and assignment at Seattle and did so again Sunday.
    Big Mac back

Marcus McNeill was added to the 53-man roster Monday and will take snaps with the No.1 offense beginning Wednesday with the belief he will be ready to start Sunday at St. Louis.
    While that might eventually cause a ripple effect on the other side of the line, it seems likely Jeromey Clary’s job at right tackle is safe for the time being.
    “Brandyn is going to get ready to play left tackle,” Turner said. “So, I don’t know if we could get him ready to play another position right now.”
    Turner strikes back

Former Colts coach Tony Dungy, now an analyst for NBC, said Sunday night that Norv Turner bore some blame for the Chargers on-field blunders.
    Turner was asked about Dungy’s comments on Monday and harkened back to a Chargers victory over the Colts in 2007.
    "You make a comment and see a team from (afar)," Turner said. "I can relate to him. It's probably how he felt when his players let Darren sproles return a punt and a kick for a touchdown here on a Sunday night game or when Peyton (Manning) threw six interceptions against us. I understand we have work to do. It’s like any head coach would fel after a game like that."
    Davis hard on self

Buster Davis went home Sunday pretty distraught and felt only slightly better when a friend’s DVR replay showed that the Raiders defender covering him got a hand in to pop the ball out on what had appeared to be a long reception on the Chargers’ final drive.
    Only slightly better.
    “I had it,” Davis said, shaking his head. “I should have had it. That’s a play I have to make … I’m disappointed in myself for that.”
    Davis, who was targeted seven times and caught two passes Sunday, was also upset about another ball that was thrown behind him but he felt he should have caught. Philip Rivers lamented a pass on which he led Davis too much in the first half.
    “I’m going to focus as hard as I can, catch extra balls in practice, do whatever I have to do,” he said.
    Injury update

• Outside linebacker Shawne Merriman played about 10 snaps Sunday, and Turner said he was “being looked at” Monday to determine his ability to practice later in the week.
    • Receiver Legedu Naanee, who left the game in the first half after feeling a twinge in his hamstring, was walking much better Monday and said he would be “fine.”

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Apr 10, 2010
    Just saw CJ was picked up by the 9ers.
  3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Jul 12, 2007
    What an egomaniac!
  4. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Sep 12, 2010
    When did Norv grow a pair? I like it! Now back it up with some W's!