1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' Cromartie pleased thus far

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/10/28/sports/professional/chargers/23_10_4810_27_06.txt

By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- Hey, Antonio Cromartie, why the long face? "He got beat in practice, and it's hard for him to get beat,'' teammate Marlon McCree said. "He is so fast, so big, so strong that when he gets beat he takes it personally. That is a good thing, but as a corner you have to have a short memory.''

Those with keen memories recall the flak the Chargers received when they drafted Cromartie 19th overall in April. The Florida State cornerback started one game in college and was as raw as he is athletic.

So six games into his rookie season, what's the review?

"I think he is going to be great this year,'' McCree said, "and years to come.''

Although stiff-armed by Drayton Florence in his bid for a starting job, Cromartie hasn't disappointed. He plays in the nickel and dime packages, holding down a corner spot opposite Quentin Jammer. Cromartie has yet to give up a deep ball.

Cromartie crowed earlier about earning first-string status in his maiden season. While that's a possibility in the future, the present shows a challenge on Sunday with the Rams' high-flying receivers landing at Qualcomm Stadium.

That means plenty of three-receiver groupings, which will have Cromartie on the field plenty.

One doesn't need to be a NFL Rhodes Scholar to predict quarterback Marc Bulger and veteran wide outs Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce will try to kick sand in Cromartie's face.

If so, it will be among the few times a team has targeted him.

"I haven't really been tested that much as a rookie,'' Cromartie said. "So when my time comes, I want to be ready.''

In the preparation category, Cromartie might be the rookie of the year. That assessment comes from McCree, the starting free safety who crams for each game like an "A" pupil aiming for the dean's list.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    has he done anything all year?

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The pass defense has been ranked first or second all year long (who would have called that in pre-season?).

I would say it is fair to give Cro props considering he and McCree are the only substantive difference from last year.

4. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +309
    He seems to get abused on running plays though! :unsure:

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw Cro take out an offensive tackle so hard it took the runner out as well. The dude can hit but he looks "lost" to use a cliche

At times it appears as though he is thinking too much and not reacting.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    I dont know why people are sayign Cro cant/wont hit. I ahve seen him put the lumber on the opposition.

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    That will get fixed with time. When the switch flips over and he is reacting instead of thinking, then look out. :icon_eek:

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    If you're not hearing a CB's name, he's probably doing a pretty good job. Kinda like an o-lineman.

He did have that nice pass-defensed against the Steelers. He also helped string out a running play to tackle Larry Johnson last week. I don't remember his name being called much, though.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah I should not be surprised. I thought maybe Cro would start by mid season but Florence is doing a good job.

Next year Cro will not think so much and the game will slow down a bit.

10. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Cro did an excellent job on Dante Hall in the return game as well...Dante could not out run, or juke away from Cro...

11. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +309
    When it's running with someone or covering them, he has been impressive. Our whole secondary has been better this year. Marlon McCree has been very effective, but I also think practicing against our crafty WRs like McCardell & Parker have helped them alot as well. :yes:

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    That was in preseason

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah I do not remember which game but the "stick" sure got my attention. :yes:

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    He will get better, he is just a rookie, and very few Rookies make it big in the defensive backfield their first year.

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    He gave up two big plays on the game winning drive during the baltimore game (including the game winning TD) :unsure:

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

17. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Merriman should have ended that game by tackling Heap instead of trying for the knockout...which he missed...
    Also, what was Merriman doing in coverage during that last drive? Shouldn't your best pass rushers be rushing the passer with the game on the line? :icon_huh: McNair had all f'ing day to throw on that drive

18. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +309
    Merriman may have been trying to knock the ball free but you're correct, he should've simply tackled Heap.

As for the coaching in that game, it was messed up all around from Marty on down! :tdown:

19. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    cromartie is my favorite player currently on san diego. a pure freak.