1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers cut safety Kevin Ellison

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chavez, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Link

Chargers cut safety Kevin Ellison
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 21, 2010 1:26 PM ET
    It's been a rough few months for Chargers safety Kevin Ellison. In April, the team drafted in round four the guy who likely would replace Ellison in the starting lineup -- Darrell Stuckey. In May, Ellison was busted with 100 Vicodin pills in his vehicle.

And, in June, Ellison has lost his job.

Per a league source, the Chargers have waived Ellison. He arrived via round six of the 2009 draft, after playing college football at USC.

He'll become a free agent if he passes through waivers.

As a rookie Ellison started nine regular-season games. He also started in the team's lone playoff game, a loss to the Jets.

:tdown:
    Stuckey better be legit!

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    This seems awfully early, doesn't it?

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I agree. I would at least expect them to keep him around to boost training camp competition.

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I would think that it would be safe to assume that this decision had more to do with Ellison's off the field problems than it does with his play.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers release strong safety Kevin Ellison

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Monday, June 21, 2010 at 11:10 a.m

In a move expected since the draft and expedited by his arrest a month ago, the Chargers today released strong safety Kevin Ellison.

Ellison wasn’t shocked.

“Somewhat,” he said. “You never really know. … It’s been an interesting couple of weeks.”

Ellison started nine games in 2009, his rookie season.

Desiring more speed at the position, the Chargers drafted Darrell Stuckey in the fourth round of April’s draft. That signaled the beginning to the end of Ellison’s time with the team.

His departure was all but sealed when, two days before minicamp in May, Ellison was arrested in Redondo Beach for possessing 100 pills of Vicodin without a prescription.

Ellison would not disclose what he was told when he was released. He declined to comment on his arrest or the legal proceedings. He has a July 7 court date.

The 2009 sixth-round pick said he hopes to continue playing in the NFL.

“The Chargers felt they needed to move in a different direction, and now I have to move in a different direction,” Ellison said. “I’ll just let things take their course.”

Steve Gregory will likely begin training camp as the starter and battle Stuckey for playing time.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I bet the Jets will pick him up. :lol:

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    horseshit

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    This might add a little more insight into the off-the-field situation. Also, it probably means Stuckey has exceeded expectations.

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I am surprised it took this long. AJ's policies are pretty clear. Stay clean or GTFO.

We don't need slow and stupid safeties.

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Ian Scott being cut is bigger news than Ellison IMO.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'd say that's pretty big news since it seemed to be that AJ would give Ellison the chance to perform and beat the problem he caused. Not to mention there was a question whether or not there was anyone to really challenge Stuckey. They say Gregory but I wonder with Gregory just recently being a nickel back if he's at all capable of winning or even competing for the SS job, not to mention he hasn't been effective when he tries at that position

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Dude has had a terrible off-season, one I'm sure he want's to forget.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    C.J. Spillman :tup:

14. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    GOD DAMMIT BRO, THAT WAS GOING TO BE MY JOKE!

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Absolutely :tup:

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    The lad has disappointed me greatly. I heard an interview with him after we drafted Stuckey and he sounded smart and confident. A few days later he gets caught with the meds. Still, I feel sorry for him, hope he gets a chance somewhere and takes it.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I really don't understand some of the anger directed at AJ for letting Ellison go now instead of later. While it may well be true that he was realeased with a group of players to mask the appearance of it being a punitive dismissal, it also gives the kid plenty of time to catch on with another team.

AJ is certainly no saint nor is he the gawd GM that some seem to think, but some folks are just grasping at any opportunity to lambaste the guy.

Offseason sucks.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    and if he had kept him around through training camp, people would complain that AJ is not classy because he didn't give Ellison a chance to catch on with another team :icon_shrug:

AJ is a hardass, and personally, I want the GM to be a tough SOB that takes crap from noone, I bet players don't like him but I'm sure they respect him and take him at his word :tup: